The Season Have Begun

marsh man

Over the last two or three seasons I have started a bit later each year , three years ago I missed September out , then last year I started early October and this year I went for the first time last night .

The Pinks have been building up in numbers over the last fortnight so the time had come to blow the dust off the box of steel shells and see if I can put the odd one in the bag . the last two mornings I watched where they were heading to and it didn't take long as I already had a good idea where they were spending the day , so yesterday afternoon I had a look to see if they had been disturbed and low and behold they were still feeding on some old beet tops so it was time to take my young dog home and swap it for the old stager and head back to await there departure .

I got back as the light was beginning to fade and you can tell the geese are beginning to get restless and it wont be long before they start making a move , the first little lot lifted and crossed about 150 yds to my left and well within range so I moved along the dyke and hoped the next lot would do the same and sure enough the main lot lifted ( which were several hundred ) and were heading straight towards me , although 50yds either side from where I was you would still have had a shot .

Even though I have been in that same situation a numbers of times in the past there is still a certain amount of nerves going on before you pull the trigger but this time my nerves held and as the trigger was pulled my first goose of the season was coming back to earth quickly followed by one of his mates with the second shot , for a few minutes geese were a bit confused where the sound of shot had come from and the end of the skein were swinging back in range giving me a longish shot at one that staggered with the first shot then a quick second shot was enough to send it across the dyke onto the next field .

A few more were still coming off the neighbours land next door but I had shot enough for one night and the old dog still had the last one to bring back . As far as I can remember this was the first time I had started the season with a r + l at geese , hopefully , it would be nice to end the season on one but that is still three months away yet .

This morning I took my young dog to have his photo taken and get used to sitting in a hide which he passed with flying colours and maybe this time next year it will be him with a goose in his mouth and the old one weighing up if he is good enough to take over .bobby%20fit%20goose%20photo%20012_zpsdoc

bobby%20fit%20goose%20photo%20006_zps0l5

Well done John. Pup is looking well and George looks good too.

Thanks Paul ..... I recon its all the fresh air and exercise they get , mined you the owner look knackered :lol:

Well done Marsh Man , I am quite envious , I was up at 4 am for a long walk across a very muddy marsh sweating my cobs off hoping for a pink .

I failed miserably while you have managed 3 in an evening without the mud and hopefully the sweat ! :good:

Your turn will come fenboy , as a fairly newcomer to the sport , if you don't mind me saying you are doing exceptionally well in the harsh conditions you shoot in and I know whatever you get is well earnt , and no I don't have the mud but I do often have a sweat on . :good:

Nice write up and photos Marsh Man' and well done on your pinkfeet' esp the right and left. And they are two lovely looking dogs' I particularly like the Old fellow' he's a very handsome boy.

The pinks are a dainty little goose compared to the other Quarry species' The one in the middle and possibly left look to be 1st yr birds as opposed to the bigger one on the right.

:good:

Nice write up and photos Marsh Man' and well done on your pinkfeet' esp the right and left. And they are two lovely looking dogs' I particularly like the Old fellow' he's a very handsome boy.

The pinks are a dainty little goose compared to the other Quarry species' The one in the middle and possibly left look to be 1st yr birds as opposed to the bigger one on the right.

:good:

Thanks SuperGoose ...... Yes you are right , the two small ones are this years birds and the smallest one will be on my table early next week with some veg from some of the farms I go on , perk of the job so to speak .

Things are looking good for the comming season Marshman and well done. I have yet to chase any pinks yet , but after the next moon we should have some on my marsh.

Thanks anser2 ...... Your report last year about you flighting geese under the moon still stick in my mind as the one I would have loved to had been on , and lets hope you keep well and have one as good or even better than the one last year.

Great stuff as normal including the photo.

Thanks Mr JDog and all the other good guys, and I hope you all have a good season .

Well done John, I enjoyed the read, I sat it out by the river last night but nothing came, as I walked back to the van the pinks lifted off in two large groups, it was almost dark and by the time they got above me they were too high, I am off to the same spot tomorrow with my new caller and some decoys, see if I can get some of the stragglers to drop in a little closer. I was surprised how few ducks were about last night, just a half dozen mallard and a small group of teal, nothing in range, ended a six hour session with just 5 wood pigeon, but it was a really nice day out, enjoyed the chat, see you down there again soon, oh and nice photos, :good::good:

Thanks Grandalf ......We are all keeping our fingers crossed that your good lady is on the mend, and sooner than later you will be able to spend a little bit more time during some fowling that we know is in your blood and are so passionate about .

Good luck with your own health as well. M M

Nice write up and good shooting. What age are the dogs John?

Geese are a rare thing round these parts, your write up inspired me to look up an old record journal I kept as a younger man some 25+ years ago. 1990 is the one and only time I've ever shot at geese and I dropped two Greylags with a left and right using GP 6s over pigeon decoys. At least I have a 100% record at them!

I wish I'd have kept filling in the journal, some great memories and many things I can't remember. My retriever field trial records are documented, 12 total including a win (rabbits) and a second (snipe) in novice trials. Many of the trial eliminations have some comedy value :)