eley 410 cartridges

kody

anyone use eley 410 ammo 2/12 inch 6s and 12 1/2 grm

These sound like the eley "fourlong". I got it in my head that they were pretty anemic being such a light load, so I switched to eley "extralongs" which are the 3" 18 gram version. That was until I patterned the two back to back through a full choke! As others have said though, I think #7 shot is a fair compromise in .410 and it seems to penetrate fur or feather just fine.

I favour 18 gm of 7.5 in my .410. Good balance between energy and pattern density.

No 7 can penetrate to kill small and medium game up to 40 yards.

410 no 7 pattern fails between 23 and 35 yards, depending on load and choke.

No 7 is really biggest size (unless special purpose) 410 cartridges should come in, rather than 12 bore pellet sizes {no5 and no6}.

o k motty I will stick to the sub's and the standard 3 inch thank you .

Ken, I know those 3" eley extralongs you're using are a heavy load (and expensive) and I used to use them exclusively for my .410 shooting but if you haven't already, it might be worth patterning them. In both my .410's they pattern worse than the 12.5 gram eley's and the 14 gram lyalvale's. Despite being subs, they were also louder through my hushpower than standard cartridges. At 25 yards there were holes in the pattern big enough for several rabbits to get through! That's my excuse anyway. :)