Another fatal dog attack

fenboy

You lose your license for 6-12 months after each seizure, I think. The concentration involve in driving is helpful in avoiding seizures, I was told.

Correct on the 6-12 months. And i dont think the concentration thing is anything. My sister has epilepsy. Nearly lost her to it six years ago. And she hasnt driven since, she surrendered her licence off her own back.

She now gets what are called vacant seizures, meaning she zones out and just stares in to space. no amount of concentration will change these happening.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct on the 6-12 months. And i dont think the concentration thing is anything.

A friend of mine had 2 sons with epilepsy, one drowned when he had a seizure underwater in a swimming pool, the other worked on a farm driving tractors. It was the second one who told me about the concentration thing. Their half sister is also epileptic, as is her daughter, their father suddenly had a seizure for the first time a few years ago. It seems to be genetic.

Big bad guns, big bad dogs, BIG BAD WORLD, the latter is why there will always be a desire to acquire both of the aforementioned! :ninja:

The predilection for restriction is becoming a national addiction. :/

That's playing right into the hands of our Politico's seeking to gain total control over our way of life and render it like the control the old East Germans had over their population?

And all done under the guise of caring for our welfare and keeping us safe?

Perhaps you need to do a little research before posting such a naïve statement. Any dog could and, in the wrong circumstances, has already done so.

I highly doubt a Yorkie, pug or so on could kill someone. Yes this was a freak incident (the deceased having a fit, rendering him defenceless) but let's not be stupid about it. All dogs of a certain size posses a danger but not little ones. My cat is bigger than most small dogs, is he a killer in waiting if we're going off even the small dogs can kill theory.

I like your style Gordon, someone posses a different view from you so you throw your toys out of the pram and say that's you done on this thread. After stating every dog could kill which just isn't true.

ATB 425

Perhaps you need to do a little research before posting such a naïve statement. Any dog could and, in the wrong circumstances, has already done so.

I highly doubt a Yorkie, pug or so on could kill someone. Yes this was a freak incident (the deceased having a fit, rendering him defenceless) but let's not be stupid about it. All dogs of a certain size posses a danger but not little ones. My cat is bigger than most small dogs, is he a killer in waiting if we're going off even the small dogs can kill theory.

I like your style Gordon, someone posses a different view from you so you throw your toys out of the pram and say that's you done on this thread. After stating every dog could kill which just isn't true.

ATB 425

So you can guarantee me 100% that a Yorkie could not bite a new born child and tear their carotid artery hence killing them, bull ****. Yes that's going to the extreme but its still a human being killed by a yorkie hence, ANY dog can kill.

So you can guarantee me 100% that a Yorkie could not bite a new born child and tear their carotid artery hence killing them, bull ****. Yes that's going to the extreme but its still a human being killed by a yorkie hence, ANY dog can kill.

It's a possibility. so are aliens but until proof exists I'm sticking with common sense, I have also googled 'has a Yorkie ever killed' and the result was negative. Granted I only spent about 5 minutes searching. Would a Yorkies bite open wide enough to get a deep bite into the carotid artery.

So I'll turn the question back upon yourself. Can you 100% prove that a Yorkie bite can kill ????????? If so then I'll admit I'm wrong. And this requires proof not just 'my mate down the pub told me a Yorkie serial killer is in the loose' or similar.

ATB 425

Browning 425 clay hunter - I will not comment on the thread as such.

Your comment about toys and pram demonstrate that you are one of the those who would never prevent a tragedy - merely spout drivel after the fact.

http://amarillo.com/stories/100900/usn_pet.shtml#.VohVYeTnnx8

Edited by Gordon R

Browning 425 clay hunter - I will not comment on the thread as such.

Your comment about toys and pram demonstrate that you are one of the those who would never prevent a tragedy - merely spout drivel after the fact.

http://amarillo.com/stories/100900/usn_pet.shtml#.VohVYeTnnx8

I'm not sure how YOU can interprete my comments to mean I would never prevent a tragedy. Very strange comment.

If someone can conclusively prove ALL breeds of dog not just SOME breeds can kill then I'll change my opinion. Until then I'll spout my drivel. P.S if anyone finds a dummy or a rattle can you let me know so I can return it. Thanks

It's a possibility. so are aliens but until proof exists I'm sticking with common sense, I have also googled 'has a Yorkie ever killed' and the result was negative. Granted I only spent about 5 minutes searching. Would a Yorkies bite open wide enough to get a deep bite into the carotid artery.

So I'll turn the question back upon yourself. Can you 100% prove that a Yorkie bite can kill ???? ????? If so then I'll admit I'm wrong. And this requires proof not just 'my mate down the pub told me a Yorkie serial killer is in the loose' or similar.

ATB 425

http://search.cdc.gov/search?query=yorkshire+terrier+was+involved+in+a+DBRF+&utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=cdc-main

page 4 on the pdf near top right hand side, guess any dog can kill then.

As far as I am concerned it isn't whether a dog can kill that is important here, but the relative chances of different breeds to be killers. Anecdotally it appears that Yorkies and the like are less likely, by a very large margin, to kill than bull terriers.

http://search.cdc.gov/search?query=yorkshire+terrier+was+involved+in+a+DBRF+&utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=cdc-main

DBRF have varied over time. Pinckney and Kennedy13 studied human DBRF from May 1975 through April 1980 and listed the following breeds as responsible for the indicated number of deaths: German Shepherd Dog (n = 16); Husky-type dog (9); Saint Bernard (8); Bull Terrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute (5); Golden Retriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); Doberman Pinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler (1); Basenji (1); Chow Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); Yorkshire Terrier (1);

As far as I am concerned it isn't whether a dog can kill that is important here, but the relative chances of different breeds to be killers. Anecdotally it appears that Yorkies and the like are less likely, by a very large margin, to kill than bull terriers.

No one has disputed that its just comments like small dogs cant kill. I'm sure my Akita would be regarded as being a higher risk than a Yorkie but you never know.

Thanks for that but as I said 'until every breed can be proved a killer then I'll stick with my opinion'. It's not that I'm too stubborn to change my opinion it's just the info that's been presented so far is a couple of small dogs. As I stated in my first post all dogs can posses a danger but until proven otherwise people can not say 'ALL DOGS ARE KILLERS' because it's simply not true !

ATB 425

I think that sums it up nicely. Pit bull type dogs, rottweilers and GSD have killed more than the rest put together - and not many spaniels their either.....

Thanks for that but as I said 'until every breed can be proved a killer then I'll stick with my opinion'. It's not that I'm too stubborn to change my opinion it's just the info that's been presented so far is a couple of small dogs. As I stated in my first post all dogs can posses a danger but until proven otherwise people can not say 'ALL DOGS ARE KILLERS' because it's simply not true !

ATB 425

That's your opinion and that's fine but its just like saying all guns cant kill as no one has been shot with an hmr (haven't checked so only guessing) for example every dog can kill just as every gun can.

I think that sums it up nicely. Pit bull type dogs, rottweilers and GSD have killed more than the rest put together - and not many spaniels their either.....

To be fare that was America so I would put pits at the top anyway as they are probably one of the most popular dogs over there.

A gardener I work along side with had his mate die last year. Apparently the blokes wife had just left him do he went home for a bath but then had a fit and drowned . My mum and dad go to a yearly rememberance in London and they say the church gets more and more full each year. It happens a lot

Same thing happened to my ex-wife's friend years ago, poor lass was only 18 when it happened. Still remember getting the call like it was yesterday, absolutely tragic.

That's your opinion and that's fine but its just like saying all guns cant kill as no one has been shot with an hmr (haven't checked so only guessing) for example every dog can kill just as every gun can.

I couldn't disagree more. All guns are DESIGNED TO KILL a dog isn't. Just because nobody has been killed by one doesn't mean a gun couldn't , just that it's not happened yet. I'm doubting physically that ALL breeds of dog could kill. That's a really bad example you've give to prove your point. The point I'm making is you can not make an absolute statement saying ALL breeds of dogs can kill when ITS NOT PROVEN. Most could but IMO not all can. But why let facts get in the way.

ATB 425

I couldn't disagree more. All guns are DESIGNED TO KILL a dog isn't. Just because nobody has been killed by one doesn't mean a gun couldn't , just that it's not happened yet. I'm doubting physically that ALL breeds of dog could kill. That's a really bad example you've give to prove your point. The point I'm making is you can not make an absolute statement saying ALL breeds of dogs can kill when ITS NOT PROVEN. Most could but IMO not all can. But why let facts get in the way.

ATB 425

Sorry but spud guns won't kill? And some guns are designed for target practise not killing.

ATB 425

Is a deactivated gun designed to kill, a blank firer, flare gun the list goes on this is starting to be a pointless thread now.

Sorry but spud guns won't kill? And some guns are designed for target practise not killing.

Fantastic comment with valid points, spud gun, really ? Would a gun designed for target practice not kill if it was used against someone in anger, of course it would, so that's your childish comment dealt with.

Is a deactivated gun designed to kill, a blank firer, flare gun the list goes on this is starting to be a pointless thread now.

With stupid irrelevant comments like yours lucky shot yes this thread is pointless. Is a deactivated gun designed to kill, OF ******* COURSE IT IS, but then it's DEACTIVATED so NOT to be used to kill people. Not rocket science is it. Hence the word DEACTIVATED!!!!!!!! Your comments about blanks and deactivated guns hold no relevance to this thread and are a childish and futile way of trying to make a fundamentally flawed point relevant.

My stance is still the same in my opinion not all dogs can kill and on that note I'll take a leaf out of Gordon's book and retire from this thread

ATB 425

Of course, guns are designed to kill. But surely all this comparison is missing the point? We regulated what guns people can own and we are supposed to regulate what people can have them, where they can use them and for what purpose.

Anyone can buy a dog the blood line of which has been selected through generations of breeding to be aggressive, fight and kill. They are rarely muzzled, in my experience. And certainly not when these type of unfortunate incidents occur. So, there is more than a grain of truth in the view expressed by some about irresponsible owners.

However, these selective breed animals are capable of actions independent of their owners. Guns are not. So, the first irresponsible action is choosing to buy one. The second, is the state allowing it to happen.

Edited by Dr D