Rust specs on barrel blueing in attic cabinet

Gin steady shooter

As above; a rather valuable new gun of mine has been in my cabinet, which is in my modern house attic, and after 2 weeks today I notice some rust specs on exterior of one of the barrels. Rest of barrels and are gun fine. Usually I leave a thickish film of oil on all my guns to prevent rust. No problems so far with both my beretta guns but my ariettia is the one effected. I have v90 sachet in the Cabient and this has worked with the berettas, but only owned the ariettia for 6 weeks so it's my first winter storing this gun. Any ideas why in part of the barrel and why ariettia is effected but not berettas? Could it be I missed a spot putting on oil?

Thanks ewen

Some people store them in the long silicone impregnated socks.

I've seen battery operated cabinet heaters sold in the USA

Instead of an oil you could try a wax/paste type surface protection...Ko Cho Line leather dressing is also good for protection of stored metal

Hope you dont store the gun in a slip as they trap moisture inside & can cause serious damage

Did you put it away after using it in cold weather? Put a really cold gun in a warm cabinet and condensation will form in minutes-out with my Airgun earlier this week and temp was 2 degrees-left the gun in its bag for an hour indoors when I got home and when I got around to putting it away it looked like it had been in the bath.

Dry is obviously the main need. Attics/lofts are not ideal because the temperature can fluctuate so much, causing condensation on cold surfaces.

The oil film is used as protection by sealing the metal surface from the air (and moisture in the air). The oil film can be very thin, but mustn't have gaps. Obvious 'danger' points are finger prints (which contain salt which in turn attracts moisture). I guess you might have overlooked wiping the finger prints away with an oily cloth.

I always handle the gun with an oily cloth when putting away and use a very thin film of Rangoon oil (from Parker Hale) when gun is to be unused for a while. Like all oils, apply sparingly, spread carefully to get full coverage and don't contaminate the wood. There should never be enough oil to run.

The impregnated socks get good reports, but I have not used one myself.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Problem I've found with attic spaces (depending on how they're insulated) is that condensation can be a real issue. i wouldn't store guns in an attic space but understand why some may have no choice. Best thing is to ensure a good coating of rust preventative oil or to fully insulate the gun cabinet. I've notice that even when opening the attic hatch to or attic over winter, the aluminium ladder is usually dripping with condensation because presumably we haven't insulated the loft hatch well enough.

Edited by Savhmr

My guns have been stored in the attic for years and to date I have had no issues. That said I have never seen condensation on the cabinet or anywhere else in the loft for that matter. I do however keep my berretta in one of the Remington silicone impregnated socks, not only does it help with avoiding moisture but stops any minor knocks when placing inside the cabinet. My loft has insulation laid down then flooring on top of the insulation (which isn't ideal I know as it compresses the insulation) but I have never seen moisture up there.

As has been said maybe you had some moisture left on the barrels when put away?

No moisture on barrels as dry them over nite in house. Could poss have been fingerprints when carrying up to attic. It could b hot barrels going into cold atmosphere tho, it's been really cold here of late. going to invest in a Napier gun slip to store it. But in meantime will double check to ensure good film of oil on it. I thought this mite happen but FEO push me to locate cabinet up there rather in the house. I did query rust issue with him but he felt it wouldn't be a issue. Obviously police r more concerned with security than condition of my guns! Mite try and move it long term.

I thought this mite happen but FEO push me to locate cabinet up there rather in the house. I did query rust issue with him but he felt it wouldn't be a issue. Obviously police r more concerned with security than condition of my guns.

Very very unusual, heard far more FEO against attic cabinets than for... Some forces won't allow it!

Well my ones take on it was that burglars hardly even go into the attic when in your house. His feeling were that should we get broken into and they see the cabinet they could come back a second time with the required tools to get my gun. If they dont See it they don't know it there. Which I can see the logic in. But I would have preferred to keep it in the walk in wardrobe. Which is where I may move it to.

I have also heard they don't like lofts because the effort of access increases the risk the guns won't be properly put away.

That ( have known it happen) and issues with an FEO falling through the ceiling while inspecting........ Was your FEO new? Average house burglar wants quick easily converted to cash items, not hard to shift heavy prison time like guns, those that want guns don't go robbing houses unprepared......

Well my ones take on it was that burglars hardly even go into the attic when in your house. His feeling were that should we get broken into and they see the cabinet they could come back a second time with the required tools to get my gun. If they dont See it they don't know it there. Which I can see the logic in. But I would have preferred to keep it in the walk in wardrobe. Which is where I may move it to.

Years ago (not to many) FEO's liked them in the loft for the added anti theft aspect of security, now health and safety has kicked in FEO's aren't allowed to climb loft ladders to to check the cabinets and take the stance hide them out of sight of visitors, but allows access for them to easily check the cabinet and the guns ser numbers at renewal time.

H&S comments interesting, my FEO actually helped me lift the 5 gun cabinet into the loft. I Can't complain about him and his help too much I suppose.

As an aside any advice on what type of slip to site said gun in? Napier/ browning? Cost? Pros cons?

What police region are you in (if u don't mind me asking)

You might want to invest in a hygrometer -- 5 quid or so, and see what sort of temperature/hygrometry does your loft go to?

Thing is, the lower the temp, the more condensation you get -- warm air can contain more moisture than cold air, so if you have guns that have been warmed in the house enough to be at room temperature, putting them in a cold cabinet/loft WILL mean moisture will get deposited on the gun -- not just in the barrels, but everywhere else, including the mechanism inside, wood etc, you can't escape that fact.

I suggest you bring them to temperature gradually -- don't put them straight in the cabinet, let them go to 'loft' temperature, THEN put them in your seal slip + cabinet.

I'm also a photographer, and in the winter I always bring the bag of lens/kit home, open it up, remove the lens caps and let it go to temperature before putting it all away, otherwise, you end up with condensation, and with fungi/rust etc.

H&S comments interesting, my FEO actually helped me lift the 5 gun cabinet into the loft. I Can't complain about him and his help too much I suppose.

As an aside any advice on what type of slip to site said gun in? Napier/ browning? Cost? Pros cons?

You want a gun sock to store it in not a slip , I use the remington ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Remington-Silicone-Treated-Gun-Rifle-Shotgun-Sock-Slip-Bag-52-Inch-Oil-Air-/191634105339?hash=item2c9e4863fb:g:PiwAAOSw3ydVp7vY

Except there's nothing in law saying you have to put it in the attic and the Criminal Justice Dept of your local force cannot insist that it is put in an attic space. Extracts from the Gov't Firearms Security Handbook:

"It is a condition of the issue of a firearm certificate that the firearms and shotguns to which the certificate relates must be stored securely at all times (except in certain circumstances) so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons"

"Security should not be located so inaccessibly as to deter the certificate holder from securing his or her guns after use"

The problem with attic spaces is that in almost all cases, joist loadings will not have been calculated to support the loadings imposed by gun cabinets, and they constitute in many cases from a safety POV an unsuitable space for regular access by authorised users, as well as having the issues with condensation (depending on how they are insulated).

Providing that load bearing walls are not "thermalite" or similar, you can store a cabinet in any room, affixed securely to a loadbearing/solid structure which may be one not accessed by visitors and to deter unauthorised persons entering the house, alarms can be fitted, or the cabinet even hidden behind a false wall or similar (easy DIY to make a false partition or similar).

Its a matter of risk assessment though for each individual case as the area's history of burglary, house construction etc all come into play, but in general terms the attic is a pretty awful place to have to store a gun cabinet unless one of those converted attic spaces!

Edited by Savhmr

I had a similar issue (rust spots) when I moved to my new house. The cabinet is bolted to an exterior wall that was uninsulated (no cavity). The cabinet was like a fridge in a warm room. After googling solutions such as silica bags etc I set forth and created my own solution based on my knowledge of control panels and anti condensation heaters... Basically a 10w heater at the bottom of the cabinet and a small stat at the top. Controls at about 10 deg and keeps my guns above the condensation temp.

Bonus is that on top of the sleeping bags i put them in I have the peace of mind that if I miss a patch of moisture after a wet day the gun will dry inside the cabinet.

Pm me for details if you want

Jeff

Edited by jeffjjack

When I had my gun cabinet in the loft it was lying flat bolted to the joists with the loft insulation remove below it, to let some heat to it.
you could put a disposable dehumidifier in the cabinet,I use them during the winter it soon collects the moisture.

you can get them anywhere, the pound shops have them can't remember how much they are :hmm: