Insure or not to insure?

Jpcurling

Alright guys,

Got my pup coming home next weekend.

Question is- is it a good idea to insure the dog or not? Is it worth paying the money?

NFU do working dog insurance so will most likely go with them.

Is it worth paying the money for insurance or would I be better off saving the money every month?

Cheers,

John

Never insured my 2, vets go overboard as soon as they hear the word insurance and see it as an open cheque book in my opinion. Took my Spaniel to the vets a while back when he went lame-£90 for the visit with pain killers and a suggestion that we take him back 7 days later for an x-ray (£300) simply to check that nothing was broken?? Did not bother and he is 100%-to be honest I am struggling to recall a single occasion where the vet has made any difference to any of my dogs :no:

I insure mine but just for peace of mind and in the event something happens Im not hit with a big bill- its only about £20 something a month and don't notice it. One thing to watch is that some policies wont cover problems if the dog ends up on medication for the rest of its life etc and will only pay out on that policy year. Plenty of folk don't bother- its an each to their own I suppose

That would depend on a few things .

Your personal financial situation , if you can comfortably afford to shell out a few £1000 shoukld your dog sustain a serious injury or illness , then perhaps you do not need it .

If you cannot afford to do that then insurance is a good idea.

10 1/2 years with my GSD and only one small op that cost me £250, no insurance. Mum has 2 cavaliers and is insured, Probably had about 10k so far in vets fees. It's very much swings and roundabouts I'm afraid as far as I know as the dog ages they all ramp up the premiums every year, and as mentioned already vets view insurance policies as open chequebooks

I had the same questions but had an injury recently where it has been worth while. Mine impaled a blackthorn branch under the skin on her shoulder. Had it stitched up, went septic drain installed, anti biotics and didn't get better. Different vet lots of skin removed huge scar and still not there two months later and £1500 or so. It's not a condition I would put a dog to sleep with yet couldn't leave it. The best but has been no worrying about how to pay for it or what the bill would be. I'd still be better off if I had put the money into savings but pet plan have just kept paying out no questions. And no question anywhere of was she "working" at the time

Depends how much you value your dog(s) and whether you see it as an unnecessary extra.

That's the joy of insurance - you never know if you'll need it, is it worth it etc etc.

Ours are insured but they're practically family. Peace of mind and all that.

If I had a choice I wouldn't insure my car but I have too......

There's lots to consider, if you've only one dog it's probably affordable. Any more than that and it can get expensive and you're better putting the premium in a bank account.

From experience I now insure pups to around a year old, when they're young and daft is when they tend to injure themselves.

And then you need to consider heart over head, or vice versa, when assessing when a vet bill becomes unacceptably high for whatever reason.

The unanswerable question is at what point in cost would you say NO and know that it would mean putting the dog down.

£2500 for a broken elbow, not exactly a life threatening injury but if you don't have the cash. Then there's food poisoning a drip and 24 hour care for a week and you would know about the bill.

I have an account with £50 a month going in not sure when I'll stop , all vets bills come out of this and the idea being when I need to get another dog the money's there but if that pans out as old dogs get frail and cost there might not be any left.

I'm not sure if the vets do more if insured or try harder they certainly charge me.

If I was loaded I wouldn't and if I was slightly better of than I am now I would.

There now that's clear.

John.

I have 2 working springers and I am out about 3 days a week beating or on our walk one stand one syndicate. My eldest dog is 8 my youngest 2. To insure the both of them roughly £20 per month each. 8 years at £20 p/m about £2000, 2 years at £20 p/m £500. In these years I have spent maybe £200 or £300 on vets bills on top of the usual jabs. In my case the money is better off in the bank. I am also in a lucky position that if there was a major injury I do have the funds to pay the vets fees. If you can lay your hands on a couple of grand without any problems I would not bother to insure, if you might struggle then get insurance.

A few years ago my 2 year old springer went lame. Took her to the vets......serious problems with her. All sorts of tests done to her. Lucky she was insured because the final bill was £10,000 plus!!!!

Insurance paid out with no problems at all. Unfortunatly it turned out that her immune system was attacking her own body, nothing could be done for her. She had to be put down at 2 years old.......heartbreaking!!!

Have I insured my latest springer??? Without a doubt......£40 per month for total peace of mind with regard to vet bills. I would advise anyone to insure their dogs, after all they work hard for you for 10 years. Look after them

A few years ago my 2 year old springer went lame. Took her to the vets......serious problems with her. All sorts of tests done to her. Lucky she was insured because the final bill was £10,000 plus!!!!

Insurance paid out with no problems at all. Unfortunatly it turned out that her immune system was attacking her own body, nothing could be done for her. She had to be put down at 2 years old.......heartbreaking!!!

Have I insured my latest springer??? Without a doubt......£40 per month for total peace of mind with regard to vet bills. I would advise anyone to insure their dogs, after all they work hard for you for 10 years. Look after them

I do look after my dogs really well and no expences is spared in their well being, but I chose not to insure as I see it as throwing money away. As I said before if you don't have the funds available insure your dogs, if you do I would not bother.

Mine aren't insured, have two springers. Had the same one to the vets to be stitched up £138 x 2. Depends on how much you value your dogs I suppose. You could just buy another for what you pay in a years insurance costs,saving money in a separate account is a good idea. I didn't know the answer when i bought them and I don't know now,it's pot luck I suppose, if unsure I suppose the insurance is the only way to go.

There is an element of middle ground, mine are insured for accidents etc and not ongoing life cover. It means I get up to 3k which will sort anything I would have done to them. Round here it is hard to find a good vet and I mean the old school rather than corporate chain owned by venture capitalists. As you would imagine the latter are more interested in money. The former you can get experience and a sensible approach to treatment and costs they are getting rare round here now

I'm looking to insure my 12 month old for the coming year and noticed that BASC have teamed up with Agria. I assumed that this would mean that the premiums for BASC members would be more favourable than Joe Public can get but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone else used Agria? Would you recommend them?

Bloody hell 10k you had a fair level of cover and need a new vet. A proper one wouldn't consider that a sensible amount to spend on a dog

Our friends are successful business people, very well off, and their pets, dogs, cats, horses, cows, sheep, chickens and geese, are their kids (they don't have any real ones unfortunately); anyway they were uninsured and to them 10k+ wasnt a huge amount of money to spend on their dog even if to the rest of us that seems mental! If I was uninsured and the vet said to fix your dog will be 10k then Id put him to sleep. Ive a good job, earn an above average salary, have savings etc etc but at 10k and Im sorry the dog would be asleep- maybe the insurance costs far more in the long run (touch wood, not a claim in 3 years) but sorts my conscience out if anything big was ever to happen and takes the decision away.

I think I know what you mean about `proper vets` ie old school small practice local vet, fortunately the local vets practices are just that round here but I have noticed on my travels that a lot of inner city/big town vets have gone like dentists and appear to be chasing the pot of gold rather than the old fashioned approach.