First coat of paint on drylining

Albert 888

the lads are fast as, the two rooms will be completed sat,apparently the plaster will be dry Mon- Tue,with the aid of dehumidifiers and the heating on. Asked the lads what is best for the first coat and they say watered down emulsion. So is that right and at what ratio,Ie 50/50.

Any help would be appreciated I want it to be show room quality.

Cheers Albert.

depends if they've polished it up or not. if it's all shiny then I rub it down with a pole sander, then about 10% water in a basic trade matt will suffice, then 2 coats of something decent to finish. paint isn't what it used to be, I remember when dulux super matt had to be thinned as it was so thick you could trowel it on.

OK no force drying. Just leave windows open to dry naturally. I think the lads will glass it of so,a light sand to give the paint something to bond to, after the sand I will hover and give a quick wipe over with a micro fibre cloth. The ratio 10-25% and a milky texture with a trade emulsion. What type of roller a thin smoth type one or the thick type ones. I found the most messy job so far and that was bonding the walls with pva watered down with a roller.

Thanks for the info.

I suggest you leave drying slow and gentle and thorough, don't overdo any heat source, the fact is people often don't have the time and need quicker results.

On normal domestic paints dilute 25-50%, on trade paints perhaps a bit more.

Make sure you use MATT emulsion and not satin.

Have fun!

:good:

I suggest you leave drying slow and gentle and thorough, don't overdo any heat source, the fact is people often don't have the time and need quicker results.

On normal domestic paints dilute 25-50%, on trade paints perhaps a bit more.

Make sure you use MATT emulsion and not satin.

Have fun!

:good:

and not vinyl

I went to use it and my dad said it was aweful 20 years ago so check reviews. 50 all bad lol.

Agreed it wasn't regarded as very good in the trade 20 years ago but times change.Ive used it a few times now when the client has requested it and if applied correctly it's absolutely fine.

Back to the op ...use a contract emulsion,Leyland is fine for what you need and just follow the instructions for watering it down.(some of the figures above are mind boggling)

Stir it well and you will be fine.

Fielddweller

Leyland Super leytex emulsion made for new plaster. Just ordering some more myself. Great stuff! Used it for many years! Get 15L Tubs add water till 2in from top and stir well. Get 9in woven polymeade long pile roller pile sleeves.

Minimum spray/splashing.Plus holds more paint than others.

9in roller frame, telescopic pole, 15L paint scuttle and away you go! Don't fill scuttle! Roughly 5L to start with. Do all you can on ceilings and walls with roller first! Cut in what you can't after.

Saves time,climbing, bending, stretching and edge build up. Plus plenty of practice for top coats.

Paint can be left covered in tubs you using over night. roller and brushes wrapped in carrier bags.

If ceilings going to be finished in white Leyland fine for this. Cheaper and may even cover in 2 coats if used neat on 2nd coat.

You could use it in white/ magnolia as finishing coat on walls to cut cost, as many new build estate houses are. Not as durable but does let new plaster breathe/dry properly.

For top job use Dulux Trade Vinyl matt for top coats on walls. Would still put about 10% water in. New plaster and Super Leytex / mist coats will be very absorbent still! Dulux Diamond matt or eggshell in kitchen/bathrooms if you want. More durable, more expensive but can wash /wipe it.

If selling or renting stick to neutral colours or good ol magnolia. Cheaper,makes rooms look bigger and easier to touch up.

Hopes this helps.

A first post on PW for me.

ATB Natureboy

I have to disagree with the Wickes. i have used it (althought its been 3 years since i stopped using it so it could of changed) and the finish is bloody horrible. i stick to dulux trade now and have no problems with the finish.

And I'll disagree with this. ;-) I used it last year to cover several newly plastered ceilings and a number of walls. Great finish and durability one year later and I'll happily post photos to show.That said, I have very little interest in peoples personal choice so do what you like.