Cheddite 100 meter shells test

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about: the poor aerodynamic efficiency of the blunt end of the wad is going to want to slow it down because of the air resistance. This reduction in velocity may or may not be felt at the front end of the shot column. However, the back end of the shot will not be so effected and will wish to carry on regardless. As soon as any distortion of the wad or any slight deviation from straight and level flight caused by forces generated from this interaction reaches a critical point, any aerodynamic efficiency will be lost and the wad will immediately stall leaving the shot to carry on unimpeded?

How about: the poor aerodynamic efficiency of the blunt end of the wad is going to want to slow it down because of the air resistance. This reduction in velocity may or may not be felt at the front end of the shot column. However, the back end of the shot will not be so effected and will wish to carry on regardless. As soon as any distortion of the wad or any slight deviation from straight and level flight caused by forces generated from this interaction reaches a critical point, any aerodynamic efficiency will be lost and the wad will immediately stall leaving the shot to carry on unimpeded?

The wad is backward and needs to effectively flip over on these.

What you have said is how a normal wad works.

This is plausible, and very relevant to Old Farrier's comment that they might behave differently if fired vertically ie slowing more quickly.

I'm one of those people who tends to believe things only when proven beyond reasonable doubt, the thought that someone has gone on to design a shell that needs to be fired vertically to perform :lol::rolleyes::lol: fills me with a double dose of scepticism.

I can just hear the loader, not yet sir, that bird is still only 68 degrees according to my inclinometer :lol: we need to see the feathers covering its bum just to be sure.

Edited by Hamster

The wad is backward and needs to effectively flip over on these.

What you have said is how a normal wad works.

I used the word "stall" and perhaps should have said, 'flip over'. When an aircraft stalls it just doesn't stop - more often than not it flips over. If you think about it, before the advent of the crimp closure, countless millions of game was shot by countless millions of cartridges having an over shot card. These were inherently aerodynamically unstable and would have flipped almost immediately on leaving the barrel. The 'tube' that we're talking about here would be somewhat more stable. I'll hazard a blind guess and say that as the 60 metre version has a smaller load and therefore the 'tube' will be shorter than its big brother that this will flip proportionally sooner.

I used the word "stall" and perhaps should have said, 'flip over'. When an aircraft stalls it just doesn't stop - more often than not it flips over. If you think about it, before the advent of the crimp closure, countless millions of game was shot by countless millions of cartridges having an over shot card. These were inherently aerodynamically unstable and would have flipped almost immediately on leaving the barrel. The 'tube' that we're talking about here would be somewhat more stable. I'll hazard a blind guess and say that as the 60 metre version has a smaller load and therefore the 'tube' will be shorter than its big brother that this will flip proportionally sooner.

Ah, you lost me as aircraft stall is when the aerofoil in the wings loses lift.

Hi

Looks like a gave a few something to think about mentioning these here 😋

But to clarify a few points

I never mentioned song bird shooting with them !!

It is a special over shot cup with a rounded nose and ribbed sides

Not a reversed wad !!!!

It fits into the wad in a grove I believe as the wad looses momentum it is at this point it flips and separates from the shot charge (this is a experimental gess)

It's hard to work it out although it certainly takes the charge out ther

And there brilliant for smashing squirrel drays and high crows nests

I also said you were assuming they worked the same horizontal to vertical I believe they work a bit different

When fired they make a unusual noise in flight different when fired horizontal it maybe just the ground reflecting it differently

Don't know yet

Do think however the best thing to do is buy and try there not a cartridge for every one and every thing

All the best

Of

Just a thought

Hi

Looks like a gave a few something to think about mentioning these here 😋

But to clarify a few points

I never mentioned song bird shooting with them !!

It is a special over shot cup with a rounded nose and ribbed sides

Not a reversed wad !!!!

It fits into the wad in a grove I believe as the wad looses momentum it is at this point it flips and separates from the shot charge (this is a experimental gess)

It's hard to work it out although it certainly takes the charge out ther

And there brilliant for smashing squirrel drays and high crows nests

I also said you were assuming they worked the same horizontal to vertical I believe they work a bit different

When fired they make a unusual noise in flight different when fired horizontal it maybe just the ground reflecting it differently

Don't know yet

Do think however the best thing to do is buy and try there not a cartridge for every one and every thing

All the best

Of

Just a thought

You can punch crow nests and dress with 28 grm clay loads though and they won't curve down and kill a person or stock three fields away

You can punch crow nests and dress with 28 grm clay loads though and they won't curve down and kill a person or stock three fields away

Do you not think the wad woild open after its been through crows nest or dray ?

Good point

Think my trees may be a bit taller then yours though

And bowing there ability I most defiantly take safety into account

And obviously as I'm the only person on this thread that admits to using them your the best judge of there capability

Have any of you ever shot a crow or a squirrel out of a tree with a rimfire ?

Just a thought

Good point

Think my trees may be a bit taller then yours though

And bowing there ability I most defiantly take safety into account

And obviously as I'm the only person on this thread that admits to using them your the best judge of there capability

Have any of you ever shot a crow or a squirrel out of a tree with a rimfire ?

Just a thought

In some places it's safe with a deer rifle

Do you not think the wad woild open after its been through crows nest or dray ?

Don't know and don't want to try to be honest I go around this time of year onwards and blow out the old nests. Just so if I see one I know it's new

And I do it with all the odds and **** I don't need a slug that's for sure

So your comment about me killing someone 3 fields away was a bit unnessasary with a hundred meter cartridge bearing in mind it would be spent by the time it fell to the ground the same as your deer rifle

OF just leave him to play on his own .

Gentlemen, I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused, with loading backwards and turning in flight etc.? The fibre shot cup looks to me to be as if it should be loaded into the case, then filled with the requisite amount of shot. From the description and instructions to slit, I would guess that the cup would then act as a plastic wad does and open up where slit, banana skin like, (for want of a better description) My question, and it has been partially answered by the fact that the long range cartridge has an over shot element remains...... if the shot cup were filled, and not slit, would it act to hold the shot together slug-like? More to the point, if slitting is required, why are they not pre-cut? I apologise for my lack of understanding

Regards

post-75958-0-15845000-1454500825_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59