Cheddite 100 meter shells test

If the wad had spilled the shot in flight you would not expect the wad to arrive at the pattern plate 120m away at the same time as the shot and certainly not with enough force to splash up a load of mud. The wad would slow massively in flight once the shot has been spilled.

Besides that on the video there is a splash of mud then the pellets hit the plate which says to me the wad/shot hit low and then the shot was spilled.

Watch it again, and listen.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watch it again, and listen.

I am speculating of course and it could be that the rest of the shot kicked up the mud and the shot had already spilled from the wad. The wad did look very clean and undamaged.

As many have commented I think it is probably a fairly worthless cartridge for bird shooting, but an awesome choice for fox.

The kicked up grass and turf appeared to be just behind the target after the 100mtr shot , so the projectile was dropping quite a bit at that range.

If the wad from the 120mtr shot did not open until at least 100mtrs, it could easily have reached the target. Most plaswads travel 20+yrds, after opening up as they leave the barrel. The earlier deviation due to wind is born out by the position of the pattern and the wad, I would say.

I agree that the only real use would appear be at static targets at over 100 mtrs. Using lighter-than-lead shot might mean that they were spilled at a different range, perhaps. Punt-gunners might be able to shed some light on that.

The commentary was in an English accent, so perhaps we could find out how far the pellets penetrated the wood.

Mentioning Yards in earlier posts was by mistake.

Hi

Just to add a little to this most of you that have watched the utube thing are assuming that the cartridge when fired horizontal behaves the same way when fired vertical 😊

Amazing realy last week a 45 yard bird was out of 12 bore range and a fluke pellet may wound it now by adding a wad to a cartridge you won't stand within 300 yards and the cartridge will kill starling size birds at 120 yards

Cheddite don't make these 10 at a time they make thousands and only if there is a mass market

Just a thought

All the best

Of

Each to their own and all that but.

These are certainly not for me and I really don't see the point in using the 60 meter shell when a good quality 32grm 5 will do the job at that range.

If they work for you Old farrier then that's all that matters.

Best wishes.

Hi

Just to add a little to this most of you that have watched the utube thing are assuming that the cartridge when fired horizontal behaves the same way when fired vertical

Amazing realy last week a 45 yard bird was out of 12 bore range and a fluke pellet may wound it now by adding a wad to a cartridge you won't stand within 300 yards and the cartridge will kill starling size birds at 120 yards

Cheddite don't make these 10 at a time they make thousands and only if there is a mass market

Just a thought

All the best

Of

Good point, how much are they for a box of 10?

I assume these cartridges have warnings on the box about extended range etc and that it makes it clear the wad does not open and release the shot on leaving the barrel but at some point down range. If that is the case I really do not see what all the fuss was about on PW earlier. However I would say given the way they work they have no place on a driven shoot, extended range walk up rough and vermin shooting, maybe if that's what you want.

For myself I will stick with lead HV size 4 or 5 for my long range shotgun vermin [crows etc]. I would be interested to see how these Cheddites work with larger shot say 0.160" to 0.200" dia [bB - AAA] that may make an effective extended range fox load but until that happens I will stick with my 1.25oz of lead 0.180" dia shot for further out fox.

A shotgun is a 30 - 40 yard tool for most folk anything further requires practice and load development then more and more practice before going for live game/vermin.

We are all responsible for our own and others safety. Be safe.

While not for one minute doubting what OF and UD have said regarding the shorter range performance, but simply taking into account the shot size - could have erred here in my earlier post and the size could well be English #4 as I used the Continental size comparison as opposed to the Italian - and the manufacturers' specified usage at the distance detailed, I can't seem to stop the word, 'browning' springing to mind.

Flock shooting song birds .Dipper

That's what i thought unfortunately .... :unhappy: really no point for such a politically correct country such as UK to speak of something you got no knowledge or experience of .... is it? :no:

you guys should really try then decide if it's more sport to shot songbirds or driven birds....

Out of curiosity, how many of you have ever seen migrating thrush, skylark or blackbirds? and how many have shot them at all in olive trees field?

i am sure you wouldn't even be able to see them....never mind having a pop at shooting them....as, unlike these big poultry that fly with their wing open overhead, this songbirds will come at you at 60 Km/h and you only have a couple of meters to fire before they hide behind the next olive tree....

Also, just to highlight the nonsense of the previous sentence about the Italian offering:

pellet size 2 is 0.25 gr

36 gr: 144 pellets

Thrushes, likewise blakbirds migrate in groups of up to 6 birds very exceptionally reaching 10 individuals .... they normally fly up to 50 mt ....

how effective would you think that load would be?

also, given a skylark is abot 5 cm and a thrush 8 cm, looking at the shot taken at 120 mt what are the chances of hitting few birds?

I think sometimes people should switch to 'on' before sentencing .... :lol:

Could work well on big open fields if you aim to hit the ground just in front of the target and spill the shot like in the video.

Some people still chase foxes at night on the back of a landrover pickup with shotgun, could work well for that.

Too dangerous to use with other people around though

Personally, I can't see it as in any way an acceptable cartridge for UK sport shooting or for vermin control. It looks like the pattern is inconsistent, downrange energy when the wad eventually does flip is questionable, and for all the touted uses (eg fox) there's a already a FAR better alternative in just about any CF rifle you care to mention. I woudn't dream of using these on anything. Each to their own though. As for shooting song birds... :no:

Edited by Savhmr

That's what i thought unfortunately .... :unhappy: really no point for such a politically correct country such as UK to speak of something you got no knowledge or experience of .... is it? :no:

you guys should really try then decide if it's more sport to shot songbirds or driven birds....

Out of curiosity, how many of you have ever seen migrating thrush, skylark or blackbirds? and how many have shot them at all in olive trees field?

i am sure you wouldn't even be able to see them....never mind having a pop at shooting them....as, unlike these big poultry that fly with their wing open overhead, this songbirds will come at you at 60 Km/h and you only have a couple of meters to fire before they hide behind the next olive tree....

Also, just to highlight the nonsense of the previous sentence about the Italian offering:

pellet size 2 is 0.25 gr

36 gr: 144 pellets

Thrushes, likewise blakbirds migrate in groups of up to 6 birds very exceptionally reaching 10 individuals .... they normally fly up to 50 mt ....

how effective would you think that load would be?

also, given a skylark is abot 5 cm and a thrush 8 cm, looking at the shot taken at 120 mt what are the chances of hitting few birds?

I think sometimes people should switch to 'on' before sentencing .... :lol:

Regret the delay in answering your question - although Dipper kindly and correctly did it for me - but I've been trying in vain to sort this out as it does not make sense:

"Essentially, the table shows that the smaller the pellet the quicker it'll lose speed at distance, hence effectiveness.

a 30 mt the 4.5 mm pellet will retain a speed of 265 m/s whereas the 2 mm pellet will travel at a speed of 167 m/s"

With regard to the "nonsense" quoted above, please refer to Posts #29 - 33 and 35.

Pellet size No 2 is c3.9gr.

Cannot, though, fault your final quoted remark. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

To resurrect this thread rather than start another, I was browsing Clay and Game for components and saw the Fibre Shot Cup, which, to be fair, is stated "should be cut almost full length with a sharp blade" It occurred to me that "Not" cutting would achieve a similar effect to that which has been detailed on this thread, a sort of "Birdshot Slug" or BS, I await for my naivety to be corrected