Help with speakers required please.

JDog

Wiring for televisions, computers, phones, printers and the like just confuses me. How I ever get anything to work is a mystery.

My query relates to what is required to fix up the audio between my computer and a separate dvd player?

The computer has two remote speakers and a boom box and I can get them to work by plugging in a little green plug thing into a round hole at the front of the computer marked with a similar green.

The dvd is wired up to surround sound Bose speakers and that system works well.

What do I need, indeed is it possible, to make a connection between the computer and the dvd player? There are three spare thingies on the back of the dvd player one of which says audio out and two say audio in.

Scully

Are you trying to play the DVD via the computer or just use the sound setup on the computer to output sound to?

That may have been addressed to me possibly.

I am trying to play music sourced on my computer through the existing surround sound which at present works from the DVD player.

JD

I presume you have cables going from your DVD straight to the Bose speakers.

If I'm not mistaken the BOSE only have a single input so uou can only play one source through them. So in order to make it work you will need a switching unit so that you can put your outputs from DVD and computer into the switch unit then from your switch unit to the bose speakers.

To tell you what switch unit you need (not expensive) you need to tell us what connection you have between the DVD player and the BOSE..

Or you can post a picture of the back of the DVD player because you may have a few options to choose from.

Cos

The DVD is a cheap Philips Home Theater (sic) System model HTS3250/05. The speakers are smallish Bose ones taken from another system are they are better than the ones which came with the DVD. The speaker wires (5) connect straight into the back of the DVD player as shown on the photo.

DSC06955.jpg

on the right hand side of the pic, the red and white connectors are the ones you want to connect to.

look for a 3.5mm to RCA wire.

plug the 3.5mm headphone end in to the computer and then connect to the red and white connections of the lead to the back of the home theatre.

on the source button on the remote for the theatre, scroll through until you find AUX.

you should then be good to go. :good:

on the right hand side of the pic, the red and white connectors are the ones you want to connect to.

look for a 3.5mm to RCA wire.

plug the 3.5mm headphone end in to the computer and then connect to the red and white connections of the lead to the back of the home theatre.

on the source button on the remote for the theatre, scroll through until you find AUX.

you should then be good to go. :good:

:good:

Put the thingy in the do-dar....wrap a bit of wire round a 6" nail stick it in the wotsit...careful not to dislodge the pingfookit...whilst setting the hoga-ma-do-dar....at the same frequency as the who-ja-ma-flip..........

if i have any trouble with modern electrics i ask my daughter....

best of luck ... :crazy::good:

Thanks every one for the input, so to speak.

The people at Maplins were very helpful in interpreting my thingies and doofers and they sold me just what was required. Only three insertions were required so not too brain busting. It is a very good job that none of my neighbours can hear this racket in my man cave or there would be complaints. 'Floor Fillers' and 'Dance Music compilations' at my age.

The DVD is a cheap Philips Home Theater (sic) System model HTS3250/05. The speakers are smallish Bose ones taken from another system are they are better than the ones which came with the DVD. The speaker wires (5) connect straight into the back of the DVD player as shown on the photo.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0fd283c123e4f845faf741e10ba640a5&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=330431&p=3000803&md5check=badf11fb02356a7c9d74242317441bc7&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,OuVrsSeCeCw');//]]></script> DSC06955.jpg&&0

Have you just used mains cable as speaker cable?

why not - we ran PA speakers on 2.5 m mains cable for years - only effective difference for all but extreme hifi is colour of sheathing.

Speaker cable in round sheath is a special at about £5 a metre-2 core mains flex about 50p.

Why not? Because I didn't know you could. I spent a fortune on speaker cable. On the basis that the man I the shop said I needed to and why would they call it speaker cable if it was the same as mains cable. Shops love me.

why not - we ran PA speakers on 2.5 m mains cable for years - only effective difference for all but extreme hifi is colour of sheathing.

Speaker cable in round sheath is a special at about £5 a metre-2 core mains flex about 50p.

2.5m!!!!! (Hope you mean 2.5mm....)

What are you mad! Rarely use anything larger than 1.5mm unless a big stack some subs run 4-6mm but all PAVA are 1.5mm FP and BGM are 1.5mm flex..... Seen some PA systems running bell wire or in one install the brown pair in a cat5......

To be fair the sheathing on mains is stiffer as it is a higher insulation grade.

Speaker cable is nicer to run and looks better but 2 core flex works..... I have seen T+E used but that's not good.....

Edited by HDAV