Travelling with a gun

Glenlivet

So whats the point of keeping the fore end separate form the rest of the gun, keeping the barrels and action would make more sense.

Because the fore end is by far the smallest of the 3 main parts. So carrying it around isn't a huge inconvenience, but the gun is virtually useless without it.

Let's face it, you could have the fore end with you and put it on the table in a pub, and virtually nobody would look at it twice or realise what it was. Not so for the stock or barrels !

If you release the triggers on my Miroku, then remove the forend it can't be fired until the forend has been replaced as that's what recocks the trigger mechanism when it's opened and closed.

My new FEO argued the toss with me that removing the forend was insufficient to prevent the gun being fired until I proved it to him.

Edited by PhilR

Seafield Lodge Hotel Grantown on Spey has shotgun cabinets in it,s bedrooms, I know of several others,maybe worth an ask

A bit of a step from Middlesex, and I doubt the hotel I'm staying in has such a facility. Not really a sporting type hotel. I would also be concerned about who had access to spare keys. Edited by Glenlivet

If you release the triggers on my Miroku, then remove the forend it can't be fired until the forend has been replaced as that's what recocks the trigger mechanism when it's opened and closed.

My new FEO argued the toss with me that removing the forend was insufficient to prevent the gun being fired until I proved it to him.

Are we talking about...... snap caps.....

Very obliging at H&H, my gun is resting, somewhat embarrassed, in their gun room.

Safe and sound zzzzzz

Excellent - problem solved! :good:

Because the fore end is by far the smallest of the 3 main parts. So carrying it around isn't a huge inconvenience, but the gun is virtually useless without it.

Let's face it, you could have the fore end with you and put it on the table in a pub, and virtually nobody would look at it twice or realise what it was. Not so for the stock or barrels !

Thats fine if the gun caint be fired.

Don't ask or tell the hotel that you'll have a gun with you - That can end up in all sorts of escalation!!

You could just use the lift though.

Doveridge? If so keep out of the gun shop..........

Had some excellent deals from there in the past. Most of my used Briley's were from there and a couple of used Beretta gel pads at a fraction of their new cost.

I have a couple of motorbike cable locks that fit through the barrel of my shotgun. If I plan to shoot after work during the week, I take gun to work and lock barrel in boot with a cable passed from breech end to choke end then secured around a metal loop inside boot (one used for luggage nets etc). Forend comes with me in a back pack and is locked in desk draw. Stock / receiver is locked with trigger lock and then hidden in boot as well.

I've never 'advertised' my pastime to work colleagues and made sure my security is always done away from prying eyes (ie either on drive on morning or corner of car park being mindful of surroundings).

It's about taking reasonable precautions to make your firearm as inaccessible as possible.

Don't ask or tell the hotel that you'll have a gun with you - That can end up in all sorts of escalation!!

Do not wander into the hotel with a gun slip anywhere in sight and do not advise them that you have got it or ask about safe keeping for it unless you want to spend the night bedding down in your car. The other year there was a woman competitor for the British team who had booked into a hotel. Someone saw that she had her shotgun in its slip with her and they called the police. When plod turned up to check it out she was told by the hotel management that it was company policy not to allow guests to have weapons on the hotel property and she had to go and find a place to book the gun into or move out. When we go to any place like a hotel we take the guns down and spread the parts out amongst us in our sports bags. So I might have a stock from one a barrel from another and a fore end from another. the others have bits of mine so although I have a gun none of the bits fit together and they are all spread out in different rooms and vehicles. We usually leave the barrels hidden in the vehicles because that it a pressure bearing part and could be considered more a firearm part than the stock / action and fore end and nothing can be used. What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over. Read the link below.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/commonwealth-games-shooter-is-questioned-by-police-after-dundee-hotel-staff-discover-shotgun-in-9640523.html

Edited by fortune