How far away from a road

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an associate of mine once said

"Crumbs!"

Apparently we have another person who can write but is unable to read. :rolleyes:

The law is posted above in black and white. Go and look it up yourself if you don`t believe me. Article 161 of the Highways act 1980.

Section 161...........and try reading Post No.20........you will read (yes, read) I agreed with exactly what you said in Post No.4. :rolleyes:

Edited by OffAim

Section 161...........and try reading Post No.20........you will read (yes, read) I agreed with exactly what you said in Post No.4. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, but that`s not what you said last night.

It is 50 feet from the centreline of a carriageway, provided that you don't eff up or injure a person's progress along the carriageway.

Happens to the best of us :good::)

Yep.....I ran into a spot of 'bother' getting my FAC application ready and at the moment I don't see a way of sorting it easily, so I may have to give up on it and just carry on with the SGs.

161 - Penalties for causing certain kinds of danger or annoyance

1. If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits any thing whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

2. If a person without lawful authority or excuse;

(a) lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(b) discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway, and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

3. If a person plays at football or any other game on a highway to the annoyance of a user of the highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

4. If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, allows any filth, dirt, lime or other offensive matter or thing to run or flow on to a highway from any adjoining premises, he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

Highways Act 1980 section 161 (2)

It's just as well they aren't enforced as rigorously as they could be; but I dont find it annoying when I'm constantly being hindered on the highway by local kids and their footballs.

I do find it annoying though listening to all the clods of muck etc left by farm vehicles on the highway clattering against my under seal.

A few years ago we lived in a very rural area of Lincolnshire, my wife kept several horses in a paddock at the end of the garden, early one morning we were alarmed to hear shots fired outside on the lane at the side of our house, the horses went berserk charging around the paddock, we ran out to see what was happening, the neighbour ( his Lordship ) was having a pheasant shoot on the adjacent field, the guns had lined up along the road side and the driven birds were coming across the lane straight over our house and land, the guns were turning and shooting at them as they went over, several dropped in our paddock and they were sending dogs in to collect them, my wife went mad at them and after giving them an earful rang the local plod, who said there was nothing they could do unless one of the horses was actually shot, The neighbour was head of the local council, and a member of the aristocracy, no wonder the plod didn't want to get involved.Still after the wife ripped into them they moved off up the lane to a different spot, flaming liberty. :lol::lol:

A few years ago we lived in a very rural area of Lincolnshire, my wife kept several horses in a paddock at the end of the garden, early one morning we were alarmed to hear shots fired outside on the lane at the side of our house, the horses went berserk charging around the paddock, we ran out to see what was happening, the neighbour ( his Lordship ) was having a pheasant shoot on the adjacent field, the guns had lined up along the road side and the driven birds were coming across the lane straight over our house and land, the guns were turning and shooting at them as they went over, several dropped in our paddock and they were sending dogs in to collect them, my wife went mad at them and after giving them an earful rang the local plod, who said there was nothing they could do unless one of the horses was actually shot, The neighbour was head of the local council, and a member of the aristocracy, no wonder the plod didn't want to get involved.Still after the wife ripped into them they moved off up the lane to a different spot, flaming liberty. :lol::lol:

In theory u could actually of done them with theft for taking pheasants of UR ground, pheasants and deer belong to whoevers ground they die on not where shot. Or u could have got ur gun out the cabinet and joined them in the line on ur ground and shot any pheasants flying overhead.

Actually know someone that done that, neighbouring shoot often stood 1 or 2 guns on his land without asking, he had told them often enough so 1 day went down and just stood beside a paying gun and shot birds before he had a chance. Never stood guns in his field again :yes:

Stop it! You`re just needlessly continuing this thread now . . .

Oh . . . ermmmm . . . hang on . . .

:lookaround:

sooooooooooooo

Is that 50 yards, feet,meters or kilometers?

from a road? side, center, opposite side, white line? can this be a a solid white line or a broken white line, what if there are no white lines?

can i shoot towards the road? along the road? how far can a horse hear and how near can a horse be before it throws its rider off and causes harm?

how close can granny be in her mini before we startle her and she has a heart attack and kills the local school children out for their afternoon walk!!

ohh well shoot safe boys and girls!!

sooooooooooooo

Is that 50 yards, feet,meters or kilometers?

from a road? side, center, opposite side, white line? can this be a a solid white line or a broken white line, what if there are no white lines?

can i shoot towards the road? along the road? how far can a horse hear and how near can a horse be before it throws its rider off and causes harm?

how close can granny be in her mini before we startle her and she has a heart attack and kills the local school children out for their afternoon walk!!

ohh well shoot safe boys and girls!!

....and Lucy IS in the sky with diamonds.......

Shot the monthly shoot at the Wagon and Horses near Congleton today. Lovely little informal shoot, VERY near the A34. The first stand can't be much more than 50 yards from the centre line. The biggest problem is wind shift.

sooooooooooooo

50 ft from center(centre) of a road.

a single track road would be not alot more than 10ft wide so i would have to be 45ft from edge of road to comply with this rule.

The 4 lanes and hard shoulder of the M25 must nearly be 50ft from the center(centre)to the edge of road.

So i could comply by shooting at the edge of the M25 but 45ft from a quiet country road!!

mmmmmmmmmmmm

ITS 50 ft from center of the road . :good:

sooooooooooooo

50 ft from center(centre) of a road.

a single track road would be not alot more than 10ft wide so i would have to be 45ft from edge of road to comply with this rule.

The 4 lanes and hard shoulder of the M25 must nearly be 50ft from the center(centre)to the edge of road.

So i could comply by shooting at the edge of the M25 but 45ft from a quiet country road!!

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Seriously?!?

ok i got it wrong ( center ) CENTRE ok :whistling: so shoot me lol

Highways Act 1980 s.161 states that If a person without lawful authority or excuse—
(a) lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or
(b) discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway
Edited by coatesy75