hit and run mobility scooter driver

remmy1100

Some of the issues with mobility scooters are echoed with old French cars outside boulangeries in rural France every morning. There is a tradition in France that they have to buy their bread fresh every day. Sometimes twice a day. This may be due to French bread going from soft and edible to rock hard in a matter of minutes after purchase.

Every morning outside every rural boulangerie a succession of old French cars arrive, the types you would think were extinct yet are in use daily, in fine fettle with some having the original garage label on the back window and many having original paintwork. One such old car would arrive at our bread shop and is typical of the scene. The car is a Renault 20 probably owned from new and never been past third gear. The octogenarian lady driver drives down the road, engine screaming, then turns left into the shop forecourt parking at a jaunty angle of around 45 degrees. She gets out of the car, takes her bag and stick out of the rear and goes into the shop. She emerges an hour later, most of that time is waiting to be served as each person Ca Vas the boulanger and everyone else in the shop and engages them in a long conversation as they haven't seen each other since yesterday. Then the lady gets her baguette, returns to the car, checks the road is clear and then puts bread, stick and bag on the rear seat. She clambers into the driver's seat, starts the car which immediately lurches forward because she hasn't put the clutch in and almost crashes into the window of the shop. She then puts the clutch in, engine revving at 3,000 rpm, and engages reverse - eventually and with much grinding of cogs. The car then hurltes out in reverse, engine still screaming its tappets off and no heed to traffic because she looked before she got in the car and it was clear. There then is a 16 point turn needed to get the car pointing back towards home. All this is done at 3,000 rpm with minimal depression of the clutch pedal. And she will repeat this every day. Surprisingly no one gets killed!

Edited by UKPoacher

Big big sigh------ UK, home of the mobility scooter.

It's one of the things I notice most ( that and potholes) each time I come back over from Frogland.

We're of to a large shopping mall next Monday and I forecast that I will see possibly one max- and that will be for the genuinely Handicapped person.

Why has it got to the situation whereby rather than walk or struggle but still get the exercise, that people wish to use these things ( genuine reasons of course excepted)

Just like Orange Wednesday's ( yes I know they don't exist anymore), why don't we have 'Mobility Tuesday' , whereby they can only be used on that day to allow everybody else the safety of walking around without being rammed by those things.

Carrefour?

Ok just lost the post so I'll try again.

Several years ago a granny on one of those scooter things mowed down another granny who was on foot. The victim died shortly afterwards, the hooligran was never found.

Mrs SBL swears its only a matter of time before someone is mowed down in our local shopping centre..............Can't stand the place so rarely go in there, plus there is not a gun shop in sight. Last one was Coast and Country run by Davey Miller, closed down 20 odd years ago.

Still we have Bagnell & Kirkwood up in Maggie land, bit pricey but ???

I don't know what the answer is really. No one wants the elderly to drive, and now it would seem no one wants them to have mobility scooters either.

Perhaps with a lack of rural buses, it would be best for all concerned if they just stayed in doors.

There's an old gent rides his scooter down a steep hill each day in town, ( as I've mentioned before, around here you're either going up a hill or down one ) parks it at the bottom and walks to the shops, then gets back on to get up the hill back home. Another elderly lady does the same.

There are two blokes who also have them. Both are disabled due to a lifetime of alcohol abuse. They use them to get to the pub.....and back. None of the above are a danger to anyone.

Scully

Genuine needs are accepted-- I think the gist here is the 'not needed' members of society who through their additional baggage for whatever reason see it as a necessity to have a scooter when maybe a healthier / less lethargic lifestyle in the first place wouldn't require their use.....
Ok, that's the most tactful way I can put it, otherwise I would have said '**** *** **** as that's what we all think

I don't know what the answer is really. No one wants the elderly to drive, and now it would seem no one wants them to have mobility scooters either.

Perhaps with a lack of rural buses, it would be best for all concerned if they just stayed in doors.

There's an old gent rides his scooter down a steep hill each day in town, ( as I've mentioned before, around here you're either going up a hill or down one ) parks it at the bottom and walks to the shops, then gets back on to get up the hill back home. Another elderly lady does the same.

There are two blokes who also have them. Both are disabled due to a lifetime of alcohol abuse. They use them to get to the pub.....and back. None of the above are a danger to anyone.

They can drive whatever they want for me, providing they don't crash into me or run me over.

If folks wish to spend their pennies on driving a motorised chair then good luck to them :)

They can drive whatever they want for me, providing they don't crash into me or run me over.

If folks wish to spend their pennies on driving a motorised chair then good luck to them :)

This ^^ for me too.

There`s an old boy round my way that drives one. He`s modified it with a few clips and other odds and ends so that he can carry his fishing tackle on it. Quite often see him buzzing up the tow path on the local canal on the way to his favourite peg. I doubt very much that he would be able to carry his tackle without it so it`s hard not to see the positive side of them.

was out and about today with my partner when we witnessed a mobility scooter on the path bounce along the side of a parked car then smashed mirror off he stopped momentarily then sped off, the guy also had 3 dogs in his control ,owner came running out and jumped in car (as it had made quite a clatter) nd went after him ,the mobility driver fled up a country path with driver in pursuit on foot followed by my partner to give contact details to car owner when he eventually caught up with him after 400yds he refused to supply any details to the car owner so police were called there coming out tomorrow :no: ,how would anyone of us stand in such circumstances

Certainly NOT in front of him !

I was in barbers last week when an old Guy (older than me !) tries to enter with his mobility scooter, the thing kept getting stuck at the step in the doorway. Before anyone can assist him, he backs off and takes a run at full pelt, he bursts through the open door, into the shop and takes out the first 4 seats inside, to which the barber comments "He does that every time" ! As for Insurance, I think they have the same policy as cyclists.

Edited by Westley

Scully

Genuine needs are accepted-- I think the gist here is the 'not needed' members of society who through their additional baggage for whatever reason see it as a necessity to have a scooter when maybe a healthier / less lethargic lifestyle in the first place wouldn't require their use.....

Ok, that's the most tactful way I can put it, otherwise I would have said '**** *** ****as that's what we all think

I'll grant you some may be disabled through being obese, but there are some who are also obese because they're disabled. How do you tell the difference?

Some of the issues with mobility scooters are echoed with old French cars outside boulangeries in rural France every morning. There is a tradition in France that they have to buy their bread fresh every day. Sometimes twice a day. This may be due to French bread going from soft and edible to rock hard in a matter of minutes after purchase.

Every morning outside every rural boulangerie a succession of old French cars arrive................................................

Good tale. :good:

My late gran didn't get a proper driving licence til very late in life. Previous to that her only experience was driving military trucks late in WW2.

She was reasonably OK apart from not wanting to do right turns, she just could not face turning into the oncoming traffic. Outings were meticulously planned so that no right turns were needed. Luckily she had 4WD as trips often included having to cross a field. :D

I was in barbers last week when an old Guy (older than me !) tries to enter with his mobility scooter, the thing kept getting stuck at the step in the doorway. Before anyone can assist him, he backs off and takes a run at full pelt, he bursts through the open door, into the shop and takes out the first 4 seats inside, to which the barber comments "He does that every time" ! As for Insurance, I think they have the same policy as cyclists.

Interesting use of that word!