how to quieten 40ft/lb daystate?

airarmsandy

I currently have one off a 22rf on it, that's why I was wondering on peoples opinions on the best to buy?

hello, your best getting a dedicated FAC air rifle silencer as i believe different internals on that one i believe, try google best silencer for air FAC, HWs are good as are MWSS/ there is one called a hogan decimeater if you can find one, a chap i know has FAC air (bsa) and his was doing 24ft llb and had a standard mod fitted seemed quite to me.

Id be putting it over a chrono and seeing how far down I could go and still be able to shoot flat. Friend of mine used to wind his fac air up to max until he realised there was little to gain speed wise but more negatives. He stays around 30 to 35 ft lb now unless using some heavy lead.

Think a good shroud may work better for you than a silencer.

Edited by figgy

simple answer to your question is ,, lower the power to 30ftlb, running at 40ftlb will do nothing in a huntsman other than empty the cylinder and also cause instability in the pellet,

lower it to 30ftlb then fit a twink or weihrauch silencer and the world is your oyster,

huntsman classics were not built to run over 30ftlb so why your rifle is running at 40ftlb is beyond me,,the only 3 rifles that were built to run over 40ftlb were the airwolf , the air ranger and the 303 wolverine, others have been turned up and modified but doing that gains no advantage,

stick to 28/30ftlb and your huntsman will shoot better and will also be a lot more accurate

Do you want/need 40ft lb or 30ft lb?

I never follow these threads.

You set up or buy a gun for what you want to do with it, so, if you want 40ft lb, work with it, if 30 will do why are you running it at 40, will even lower work?

Rimfire moderators are seldom great on FAC air, there are Air moderators that will work better, and some of those will contain acoustic wadding.

Acoustic wadding is seldom used in rimfire mods due to heat and pressures.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

totally agree with the above two posts :good:

Don't forget that you are running a pellet past the speed out sound, and the small sonic boom as the pellet leaves the barrel isn't possible to silence.

If you brought it under 22ft/lbs (if it's a .22 firing a 8 grain pellet) you'll see a big difference.

minimum I would use on a .22 FAC air rifle would be a 15.89g jsb,

8 grain would be for .177,

Been preaching it for years. Anything over 30ft lbs is a waste and harder to silence

I agree with the above, Mine runs at 30ftlb.

From experience for silencers I would recomend:

1. Huggett shroud and standard length silencer but this is expensive but the best.
  2. A&M Twink MK2 - Alot cheaper and to reduce length I would get your original Daystate shroud chopped down. Twink cost is £40 and then it would be the cost of your shroud chop.

Both these options are far better than any SAK, Whisper, HW, Daystate, IBN etc offerings. Testing behind this was done indoor and unanamously agreed by 5 people.

ATB

Matt

Don't forget that you are running a pellet past the speed out sound, and the small sonic boom as the pellet leaves the barrel isn't possible to silence.

If you brought it under 22ft/lbs (if it's a .22 firing a 8 grain pellet) you'll see a big difference.

Are there any 8g .22pellets? (probably somewhere I suspect), but why you would be using them in a 40ft lb FAC?

Anyway 16g pellets will give you around 1060ft sec at 40ft lb, (approx. speed of sound, = 1116ft sec) so below, if you are using magnums you will be way below the speed of sound, so hopefully the boom will not be an issue.

Forget about power and concentrate on pellet speed. Almost any pellet traveling faster than 950ft/s will start to lose stability and thus accuracy, 40ft/lb would need something like a 30gn+ pellet in order to achieve a stable speed, 16gn pellets such as JSB exacts travel at about 900ft/s with 30ft/lb and will give the same trajectory as 40ft/lb with 30gn but will use far less air, what do you really get from a 30gn pellet than 16gn........ not enough in my opinion.

30ft/lb moderates very well with a standard HW silencer, RF moderators generally moderate air poorly.

Are there any 8g .22pellets? (probably somewhere I suspect), but why you would be using them in a 40ft lb FAC?

Anyway 16g pellets will give you around 1060ft sec at 40ft lb, (approx. speed of sound, = 1116ft sec) so below, if you are using magnums you will be way below the speed of sound, so hopefully the boom will not be an issue.

Yeah, I ****ed up. The calculator I used suggested a 8 grain pellet so I just went with it without checking my facts. It's interesting to see the large difference in ft/lbs and fps between 8grain .177 and 16 grain .22 though.

Don't forget any silencer you put on a FAC air rifle is classed as a moderator and will need to be on ticket otherwise you wold be breaking the law and would loose your fac

I have an mvt variable power air wolf I set it at 920 fps which means it fires a 16 grain at 30lb and a magnum at 40lb with the same trajectory I use a day state reflex which I found to be the best moderator for the day state at FAC levels and its on ticket like the rifle it only adds a few inches as it sits right down the barral I even tried lr moderators and nothing was as good as the daystate

Edited by psycho

Don't forget any silencer you put on a FAC air rifle is classed as a moderator and will need to be on ticket otherwise you wold be breaking the law and would loose your fac

I have an mvt variable power air wolf I set it at 920 fps which means it fires a 16 grain at 30lb and a magnum at 40lb with the same trajectory I use a day state reflex which I found to be the best moderator for the day state at FAC levels and its on ticket like the rifle it only adds a few inches as it sits right down the barral I even tried lr moderators and nothing was as good as the daystate

LR and Air Moderators have to contend with different issues.

The propellant ignition crack and heat on LR is totally different to a high pressure air blast from FAC air (even though air under pressure will inevitably warm up to some extent), and very commonly the energy (although not always) is much higher in LR than FAC Air.

They may both be called moderators and look similar externally, but the internals will generally be of significantly different construction, hence why Air Mods are not usually great on LR (sometimes totally inappropriate/dangerous) and LR are not usually great on Air.

oh yes its on my ticket for the moderator, was just interested what was out there as the best one for the job, im going to put it back down to 30ft/lb when the dealer sends it away for me, then try either a daystate or twink mod. thanks all who replied to this thread its been a great help