deer culling

kody

Hi all I may need someone to shoot some deer on a farm where I got permission farmer asked me myself but I only got .22 rim some out of the question this is in oxford area I will contact farmer and put this to him I'm sure this would be OK must be member of basic or similar

Dave

I bet you have 400 + PM's, do your homework on this, as putting the wrong person in will not just be bad for them, you and the farmer may come a cropper.

Ask for proof of experience, qualifications (the later just means the DSC quals should be provided and this will cover peoples ***** if the meat is to be sold or there is an incident). Ask for a reference preferably a game keeper or the like. Ask for insurance and proof of their FAC being 'open' then if its tricky ground ask for RaM's (risk assessment and method statement) anyone not prepared to prove/do the above is not worth having on the ground.

Know this, there are plenty out there that say they can shoot deer safely, but a balls-up can cost untold damage. Those of us that do a lot of stalking know all too well.

Atb,

T

Ask for proof of experience, qualifications (the later just means the DSC quals should be provided and this will cover peoples ***** if the meat is to be sold or there is an incident) statement) anyone not prepared to prove/do the above is not worth having on the ground......

This to me is an example of someone believing all the bull being spouted by feos and training companies.

There is no requirement for anyone to have dsc1 or 2 to be able to stalk. Firearms departments telling people they can't have a centrefire unless they get dsc is ridiculous and completely unfounded. It is not a requirement in the home office guidelines.

I know dozens of stalkers who have forgotten more than most (including myself) might ever know and have never sat an exam or payed to sit in a classroom to be told that they are a capable stalker.

I am comfortable and happy that I learnt, and continue to learn, from such people and don't feel that a couple of days in a classroom would teach me more than real experience.

I'm not saying that it (dcs course) is completely without its merits as for some it really is the only chance they get to learn, but to say that if someone can't produce the piece of paper that the course provides them with is "not worth having on the ground" is lunacy and only adds to the misinformed suggestions being spouted about the law and requirements to stalk.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

I bet you have 400 + PM's, do your homework on this, as putting the wrong person in will not just be bad for them, you and the farmer may come a cropper.

Ask for proof of experience, qualifications (the later just means the DSC quals should be provided and this will cover peoples ***** if the meat is to be sold or there is an incident). Ask for a reference preferably a game keeper or the like. Ask for insurance and proof of their FAC being 'open' then if its tricky ground ask for RaM's (risk assessment and method statement) anyone not prepared to prove/do the above is not worth having on the ground.

Know this, there are plenty out there that say they can shoot deer safely, but a balls-up can cost untold damage. Those of us that do a lot of stalking know all too well.

Atb,

T

What a load of old tosh . I was taught how to stalk deer by an old countryman 50 odd years ago he was a marvellous old mentor and knew how to shoot . Have been shooting deer for over fifty years without a single incident . Never been on a so called deer shooting course in my life . Experiance is gained by doing it and having the right mentor . Sounds like a quote from the British deer society .

Harnser

What a load of old tosh . I was taught how to stalk deer by an old countryman 50 odd years ago he was a marvellous old mentor and knew how to shoot . Have been shooting deer for over fifty years without a single incident . Never been on a so called deer shooting course in my life . Experiance is gained by doing it and having the right mentor . Sounds like a quote from the British deer society .

Harnser

:good:

Harnser

+1 Fully agree with the above.

Far to many text book stalkers.

Harnser

Harnser, I just don't know how us olduns ever got to where we are today.

I think 'load of old tosh' was putting it very mildly.

Its so common today to take a qual and call yourself experienced. I have 1+2 not interested in this stalking but owe most to my mentors and their mentors before them etc. That's whats wrong with DSC

Nothing wrong with DSC, It proves a level of competency?

Why did you bother with 1 & 2?

It must mean something to some large land owners and institutions as they insist you have level 2 to be allowed on?

How is possession of a DSC critical of experience in any way?

Atb,

T

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Harnser, I just don't know how us olduns ever got to where we are today.

I think 'load of old tosh' was putting it very mildly.

Grandalf , we come from an era when men were men and women were glad of it . We were taught how to go into the country side to forage and to reap the harvest of wild meat . We were taught by proper old country men who would clip your ear if you you didn't pay attention . Different world today .

Harnser