.410 effective range

ElvisThePelvis

Most 410's seem to be full choke.

How do those of you with multi choke versions find them with a more open choke?

I've got a second standard barrel for my Hushpower which is also full choke but I was considering getting it opened up a bit.

Just don't know how much or if it's a good idea.

Not fussed but if I have a choice I go for half mate.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem as always is people guess range in the field and measure it when patterning.

If I shot at even sitting bunnies at 40 yards I should expect a wounding because the patterning I have done shows me that

If I killed it stone dead it would be luck and a good measure of it to boot

Anybody ever done any decent ammount of chronoing with .410s.? I have chronoed hundreds of other loads from 20s to 4s but not 28s and .410s.

If we have some reliable factual speeds these things make we could start working out practical ranges. At the moment we are seeing quite big variations from clearly experienced shooters.

Edited by TONY R

Well im sorry but i think 15 yards is being more conservative than margret thatcher . :lol:

But having said that i once shot a rabbit with a winchester 2 1/2 inch load of 6s from a full choked webley bolt action was no more than 25 yards and it sat there screaming till i got up to it and dispatched it, :unhappy: The 6s were sat just under the fur could feel them. Made me think. As a kid i always used 4s but could not get any 4s at the time of the incident. I think 4s were better for rabbits i honestly do. This is why some acctual chrono figures would be handy to have.

Edited by TONY R

Well im sorry but i think 15 yards is being more conservative than margret thatcher . :lol:

But having said that i once shot a rabbit with a winchester 2 1/2 inch load of 6s from a full choked webley bolt action was no more than 25 yards and it sat there screaming till i got up to it and dispatched it, :unhappy: The 6s were sat just under the fur could feel them. Made me think. As a kid i always used 4s but could not get any 4s at the time of the incident. I think 4s were better for rabbits i honestly do. This is why some acctual chrono figures would be handy to have.

There was something wrong with that ammo!

I shot a rabbit recently with my full choked Webley at a similar distance and it was inedible!

Also, a fox I shot at 33 paces with#7 the pellets, a good number of them at that made it across the chest and were lodged in the far ribs. I did an autopsy see I was that it impressed at the time!

Edited by Underdog

Well i agree there could have been something wrong with the ammo, as winchester tends to be about the best or near the best ammo around, and cant even blame my range esstimation i am and always have been pretty good. . But just telling it like it was and i never had a single issue with technicaly lesser eley fourlong 4s. I supose it could have been a dodgey cartridge or batch of cartridges, but dont remember any other problems with the rest of the box. Went back to 4s for rabbits after that.

here is a good example of different ranges that are achiverble with the little .410

https://youtu.be/OrejkcNtgC0

https://youtu.be/CIQDwpUBRNg

You have got that little thing patterning well by the looks of it, and fair play to you you are putting it in the right place too. :cool1:

The jams ??? what is wrong there ? Mosberg 12s are about full proof on cycling normaly, is it a .410 thing or is it ammo .

Guest stevo

You have got that little thing patterning well by the looks of it, and fair play to you you are putting it in the right place too. :cool1:

The jams ??? what is wrong there ? Mosberg 12s are about full proof on cycling normaly, is it a .410 thing or is it ammo .

Its just me . I get a bit carried away when pumping the thing haha . Getting the hang of it now . Just every now and then it throws me .

Mm. Chrono speeds? Just go out and pattern the darn thing! If you want to know will the shot kill shoot some old catalogs etc.

But trust me if it patterns it will kill just the same as any equivalent shot size from a 12

Pattern is the only difference because it's this that is the limiting factor. Put number 3 in or bb and you will get the striking energy but the holes will be so vast you will wound or just plain miss

The only time energy in the 410 has created me an issue is with little skeeter 410 from 12 adapters. Then the normal killing shells drop off a very noticeable amount. No bad thing if you are using the 12 to kill rats and such near buildings etc

15 yards is laughable though it's good for double that but that is pretty much it and that's not to be measured with an elastic tape measure and a lot of optimism

Mm. Chrono speeds? Just go out and pattern the darn thing! If you want to know will the shot kill shoot some old catalogs etc.

But trust me if it patterns it will kill just the same as any equivalent shot size from a 12

Pattern is the only difference because it's this that is the limiting factor. Put number 3 in or bb and you will get the striking energy but the holes will be so vast you will wound or just plain miss

The only time energy in the 410 has created me an issue is with little skeeter 410 from 12 adapters. Then the normal killing shells drop off a very noticeable amount. No bad thing if you are using the 12 to kill rats and such near buildings etc

15 yards is laughable though it's good for double that but that is pretty much it and that's not to be measured with an elastic tape measure and a lot of optimism

I am all for pattern and if the speed is the same as 12ga etc then fine, but is it? I always thought those old eley fourlongs were a lot slower than12ga impax grand prix etc. But never had a chrono then.

A simple crude pattern test not techgnicaly conducted perfectly by any means, but proves a point 25 is about it i think with his gun any way.

Edited by TONY R

In 3 inch, 18/19g 7 or 7 1/2 will kill to 35 yards.

Sixes and bigger don't pattern very well but individual pellets will kill further.

I have a Khan with multichokes and use ***** and ****.that come with the gun which were ok but I just got some briley's in cyl and skeet and they work well on pigeon but not yet had chance to pattern them.

Small shot in a 410 every time.

#7 to #8 for me.

Agree totally. I can't understand why eley load their two in fourten cartridges with #6 shot. If they were loaded with #8 or #9 they'd make a good load for close range rat or feral pigeon in buildings etc. As they are #6 the pattern is poor.

Agree totally. I can't understand why eley load their two in fourten cartridges with #6 shot. If they were loaded with #8 or #9 they'd make a good load for close range rat or feral pigeon in buildings etc. As they are #6 the pattern is poor.

I would imagine the answer is simply that that is what they've always done.