Beginner Sporter Beretta or Miroku

Jrollsons

Hi everyone,

Im new to clay piegon shooting and im having a really hard time figuring out which gun to buy first.

Im based in Devon my budget is £1700-£2000.(ive been saving)

Now ive been looking at Silver pigeon 1 and the ultralight, Ive been using the Beretta ultralight at the range and can hit things with it but thats the only gun I have fired. Are there any downsides to the Ultralight? Or would the silver pigeon be better?

Originally I was going to go for a Miroku but I get the impression that the Brettas will hold their value and are more popular which would make selling it again easier and more profitable.

Im not sure if im going to be able to test any other guns before I purchase. I know the main thing is it should fit me. Should I trust the people in the gunsmiths to tell me if it fits or not?

Apologies for all the questions, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Luke

You need to go somewhere that does try before you buy

Ian coley does but it's a bit of a trek as do ivythorn that's not so bad

Why are you worried about holding its value that's only a concern if you intend to sell

If you're not sure if it's the sport for you get a baikel try that for a year then either trade in or sell on

Edited by jonny thomas

A decent shop that has its own in house gunsmith should be able to give you a fair idea about fit but they need to be a proper gunsmith not a local screwdriver expert.a salesman is just that and don't really care what you leave with as long as it's not with your cash.as said previously I would avoid going for a lightweight gun if you are going to shoot a lot of clays.

You need to go somewhere that does try before you buy

Ian coley does but it's a bit of a trek as do ivythorn that's not so bad

Why are you worried about holding its value that's only a concern if you intend to sell

If you're not sure if it's the sport for you get a baikel try that for a year then either trade in or sell on

Im pretty sure its the sport for me but at the price im looking at personally its a bit of an investment.

Guest Wilksy

I wouldn't chuck that sort of money at first gun,as said above get a decent s/h one and get your mount sorted then over the course if a year or so you will get more opertunity to try other guns and work out what you really like/ fits you, then go shopping for the two grand gun! All the best with it!

I wouldn't chuck that sort of money at first gun,as said above get a decent s/h one and get your mount sorted then over the course if a year or so you will get more opertunity to try other guns and work out what you really like/ fits you, then go shopping for the two grand gun! All the best with it!

I was worried if I went second hand if anything went on the gun I wouldnt be covered to get it fixed. I appreciate what you are saying though. Whats best to look out for in a second hand gun?

I tend to think along the same lines as jrolsons instructor, Berettas are not what they used to be, my old 680 trap and my first 682 trap were very different quality guns to my last 682 trap. But newer Mirokus are much closer on quality to the older ones.

My advice between Beretta and Miroku would be get the Miroku not as agressively marketed as Beretta perhaps but non the worse for that.

Edited by TONY R

Guest Wilksy

Oooh now that's a whole other topic haha! Me personally would look for something around 350-400 you could get a good lamber, bettinsoli or even a miroku for that and you would only lose that sort of money on your 2000 gun if did have to sell it due it being not quite right, the guns for sale section here as great for a bargain just got to be quick with really good ones! As for not being cover in the event of faults there's not much that can't be sorted by a good gunsmith, just look for a nice clean well looked after gun,no fancy grain just no cracks, a few dints are to be expected, something that's about the same lop as your training gun

Oooh now that's a whole other topic haha! Me personally would look for something around 350-400 you could get a good lamber, bettinsoli or even a miroku for that and you would only lose that sort of money on your 2000 gun if did have to sell it due it being not quite right, the guns for sale section here as great for a bargain just got to be quick with really good ones! As for not being cover in the event of faults there's not much that can't be sorted by a good gunsmith, just look for a nice clean well looked after gun,no fancy grain just no cracks, a few dints are to be expected, something that's about the same lop as your training gun

Honestly the money is burning a hole in my pocket, if I spend around 900-1000 what kind of second hand gun should I aim for?

Guest Wilksy

I'm out of my depth now! My gun only cost £650 new! But that sort of money will get you a nice browning/ miroku or a silver pigeon and shouldn't drop much more value either so would be a fairly safe bet in that respect

Honestly the money is burning a hole in my pocket, if I spend around 900-1000 what kind of second hand gun should I aim for?

Spend a bit more. Say 16-1700 on a s/h Guerini Summit. It's a great gun that holds value well with a 10 year transferable warranty and a standard of fit, finish and build quality unmatched at the price. It will also come with a fitted Negrini motor case and 8 extended chokes.

I'm in the same position but I'm planning to follow the advice I've been given and just get a very well maintained second hand gun made by the top three that has the right feel. Go shoot stuff for a year. If you look after it you'll get about the same back again for it and then invest it in something else with the advantage of more knowledge and experience.

Edited by jonthebrit

Winchester Select are a nice gun but if I were you and I was going to keep the gun for a long time I would get a Silver Pigeon, you will learn to mount it properly with practice, it comes with a ten year guarantee and don't lose too much money.Ask most gunsmiths about them.

Winchester Select are a nice gun but if I were you and I was going to keep the gun for a long time I would get a Silver Pigeon, you will learn to mount it properly with practice, it comes with a ten year guarantee and don't lose too much money.Ask most gunsmiths about them.

Berettas come with a 1 year warranty which extends to 3 years if you register it and I'm pretty sure it's not transferable. They will extend it to 10 years for a fee.

Unless you are looking at antique guns (duellers) you can count investment out. Very few clay shooting guns, purchased new, will earn money and initially they are like cars...20% loss once you leave the shop. If you buy good con/mint s/h you will lose less or maybe not at all.

Edited by B25Modelman

If you`re looking at spending that much, second hand Miroku MK38 Grade 5, you might even find a Grade 6. Lovely guns, I doubt you`d be disappointed if it fits you.

Secondhand Mirokus hold their money. I just sold my first Miroku after 2 years owning it and either got my money back or made £50. Can`t remember exactly what I paid for it.

If you`re looking at spending that much, second hand Miroku MK38 Grade 5, you might even find a Grade 6. Lovely guns, I doubt you`d be disappointed if it fits you.

Secondhand Mirokus hold their money. I just sold my first Miroku after 2 years owning it and either got my money back or made £50. Can`t remember exactly what I paid for it.

That's what I decided to do and I absolutely love my MK38 grade 5. I got a Teague Sporter Adjustable stock version for £1800.

I have no intention of selling it as when I look around at other guns I think I'd have to spend £4K plus to get something similar.

I like it so much I just bought a MK60 20 bore to go with it and that's a fantastic gun too.

One thing to consider though is that the Browning/Miroku guns are a different fit to a Silver Pigeon.

I went to the shop originally intending to buy a SP1 without ever trying one, only to find it didn't fit me at all. The Browning and Miroku guns were just right and that's what I'd already had a few lessons with so decided to stick with one and I'm glad I did.

It would be worth at least having someone knowledgeable go with you check how the guns fit you. I'd try a Browning 525/725 and Miroku MK38 and see how they compare. The 525 and MK38 are more or less the same. MK70 is also a good multi choke gun but more for game I think. The MK38 is a proper trap/Sporter model for clays. MK60 is a fixed choke game gun.

Chris.

Guest Wilksy

That's what I decided to do and I absolutely love my MK38 grade 5. I got a Teague Sporter Adjustable stock version for £1800.

I have no intention of selling it as when I look around at other guns I think I'd have to spend £4K plus to get something similar.

I like it so much I just bought a MK60 20 bore to go with it and that's a fantastic gun too.

One thing to consider though is that the Browning/Miroku guns are a different fit to a Silver Pigeon.

I went to the shop originally intending to buy a SP1 without ever trying one, only to find it didn't fit me at all. The Browning and Miroku guns were just right and that's what I'd already had a few lessons with so decided to stick with one and I'm glad I did.

It would be worth at least having someone knowledgeable go with you check how the guns fit you. I'd try a Browning 525/725 and Miroku MK38 and see how they compare. The 525 and MK38 are more or less the same. MK70 is also a good multi choke gun but more for game I think. The MK38 is a proper trap/Sporter model for clays. MK60 is a fixed choke game gun.

Chris.

Great first hand advice from mouse and Chris!