Had a new car......then I didn't

Livefast123

With the Mrs being pretty ill recently and having come out of hospital, I thought that I would surprise her by getting her a newish set of wheels to replace her aging Ford Fiesta. She had been interested in a Hyundai i10 so I set about finding one.

I found the perfect model for sale in Newport, i10 premium in pearl black with just 7000 miles on the clock. I caught the train down to the car sales place, the deal was done and drove the car back.

Fast forward to last Thursday when we decide that she is feeling well enough to go out for our first ride in her new wheels. We decide to change our destination at the last moment to take my son to the seaside for a walk.

Coming off the M5 I stop at the motorway roundabout when some person decides that he isn't going to and drives straight into the back of us at some considerable speed.........Cue another visit to hospital for the Mrs!

The car can be replaced but i'd only done 70 miles and owned it for a few days!!

Glad all of you are ok having said that you could always put in a clam for wiplash that would give you enough money to buy a bran new car :whistling:

He Mays well as they would if the shoe was on the other foot,you should get your money back as you only had it a couple of days so you can argue that out with them.but they will say when you take a car off the forecourt you loose £££ but that's on a brand new one not second hand so stand your ground with them.atb and hope your wife is on the mend

I've already been on Autotrader looking for 'market value' and there are loads of cars roughly the same for slightly more than I paid which hopefully should help the case but am ready for a battle.

Can't bring myself to claim as just had a dizzy headache for a day or so and the son is fine. We'll see how they wife gets on but i'll leave the decision down to her.

Yep, whiplash claim coming up :yes:

I was always against these until a few months ago when I had it explained to me by my insurance company, it went like this.

Some wassock did a U turn in front of me and wrote my motor off, insurance good as gold and sorted everything out then rang to ask how I was.

Phone call went like this.

Coop insurance here about the accident,

"Yep"

Did you suffer any injuries?

"Yep, very stiff neck, shoulders and upper back"

Right, we'll put a whiplash claim in then.

"Nope, don't believe in them for a relatively minor injury"

Why?

"It's wrong and puts everyones premiums up"

No it doesn't.

"Uh"

How long have these claims been going on?

"Donkeys years"

Many insurance companies going bust?

"No"

Therefore it's already built into the premiums.

"Must be"

If everyone stopped claiming do you think the insurance companies would suddenly halve premiums, or just pocket the extra profit?

"Er, they'd pocket most of it"

So your claim is already paid for, and if you don't claim it's just more profit for an already wealthy company.

"Ok, put my claim in" :good:

I've already been on Autotrader looking for 'market value' and there are loads of cars roughly the same for slightly more than I paid which hopefully should help the case but am ready for a battle.

Can't bring myself to claim as just had a dizzy headache for a day or so and the son is fine. We'll see how they wife gets on but i'll leave the decision down to her.

Get a claim in,my van rolled into the back of a bin wagon at 6mph they didn't hear or see anything till I got to his door.after getting there details and it rote my van off they went straight back to there yard then down to the walk in centre for whiplash and got paid out £2700 each.i was bouncing as I didn't even have a seat belt on and I just say moved in my seat so it will tell you how fast I was going,as I thought somebody went into the back of me.

Car can be replaced you, your wife and child are far more important. Too late for this one but I did an advanced motoring course and much is made of managing the traffic behind you particularly when on a slip road or turning right across traffic. None of this will help with a complete idiot. Good luck with the settlement.

Once over I wouldn't of even thought about putting a claim in but now as your own car insurance goes up every year because of people doing it and shafting you why not you are paying for it in the long run.at most little accidents people are always ok nothing wrong with them until everything has been cleaned up and then you get the call from your insurance company saying they have a claim in for this that and the other the sneaky tawts

The other poster that gave the reason to claim is correct

you have paid inflated premiums, its you turn to get what you are owed

I have also had to change my mind, goes against the grain but ......

I would say in your case put in a claim for whiplash/injuries etc as If something shows up some time later, even if they disallow your claim initially you have registered it with them and would give you more leeway in the future.

You have nothing to loose by making a claim. That is what insurance is for.

Jesus some turn around, I worked doing compensation claims for years.

Not only do you pay for it within your insurance if you genuinely do feel the effects of whiplash then you are entitled to.

What was suggested above, putting in a whiplash claim to fund the new car however is not an entitlement. It is for your pain and suffering which normally has to last around the 6 week mark. This can include any problems you would not have suffered should you not have been hit, eg stiff or sore even when only waking in the morning. Although what you use the compensation for your injury to buy is upto you!

Best of luck!

Jesus some turn around, I worked doing compensation claims for years.

Not only do you pay for it within your insurance if you genuinely do feel the effects of whiplash then you are entitled to.

What was suggested above, putting in a whiplash claim to fund the new car however is not an entitlement. It is for your pain and suffering which normally has to last around the 6 week mark. This can include any problems you would not have suffered should you not have been hit, eg stiff or sore even when only waking in the morning. Although what you use the compensation for your injury to buy is upto you!

Best of luck!

Yeh we know it's not an entitlement but people still get it when they claim off you even when there is nothing wrong with them,I would never ever put a claim in if there was nothing wrong with me but now I will as there is to many getting easy claims for nothing and you are paying for it.it certainly changed my mind when my insurance goes up every year for something I haven't done.get a claim in mate and play on it why not.

As I see it most of the insurance companies in the past cannot be bothered to look in to these cases as they seem to pay out as it is so simple just to pass the debt on the the rest of us honest people when I think of all of the money that I have given the insurance companies only for them to give it away to con people. I say if you think that you can justify it put in a claim and get some of your own money back. :good:

As I see it most of the insurance companies in the past cannot be bothered to look in to these cases as they seem to pay out as it is so simple just to pass the debt on the the rest of us honest people when I think of all of the money that I have given the insurance companies only for them to give it away to con people. I say if you think that you can justify it put in a claim and get some of your own money back. :good:

It's because it costs them less to pay out than it does to challenge it in court!

They're not out for justice they're just out to make profit, it's big business, the whole insurance industry is a joke IMO!

Do find it very odd people saying they would put in fraudulent claims just because "everyone else is" though!

The industry is changing soon so if your injury is worth less than £5000 you can't claim, it used to be around £1000! This could be because too many have said "why not, everyone else is" ... Although really it's probably from the insurance companies putting pressure on/ paying off the government cos it's eating into their profits

ive been has same happen when it rear end its simple there to blame too close or too fast /not paying attention ,i got a no win no fee solicitor onto mine to deal with other party had hire car by lunchtime delivered to my door they sorted whiplash claim genuine case i may add ,had other partys insurance phone me saying theyd settle my claim there and then but i declined ended got full value i was insured for and 4000 whiplash payout.stand your ground and dont take first low ball offer

We had a car hit us while stationary in traffic in the wifes Hyundi, Struck us at about 40 plus , shoved us under a new landrover , my foot got wedged full on the throttle as everthing buckled in and we popped out under the rear quarter panel of the landy ..

We ended up in a hedge engine racing and plenty of smoke.

I was suprised how well the Hyundi took the impact for a light car, the only un-buckled .panel was the roof.

we suffered whiplash and the mrs was out of her head for a week ,the effect of my whiplash still gives me a little problem now and then ( my excuse when I miss a pigeon )

We did claim and get paid out as we both lost out on work and earnings.

Edited by deny essex

It's because it costs them less to pay out than it does to challenge it in court!

They're not out for justice they're just out to make profit, it's big business, the whole insurance industry is a joke IMO!

Do find it very odd people saying they would put in fraudulent claims just because "everyone else is" though!

The industry is changing soon so if your injury is worth less than £5000 you can't claim, it used to be around £1000! This could be because too many have said "why not, everyone else is" ... Although really it's probably from the insurance companies putting pressure on/ paying off the government cos it's eating into their profits

All that will mean is that all whiplash payouts will be £5000! More money for con artists.

When a muppet ploughed into the front of the wife's car both she and my mother got whiplash injuries (struck passenger front wing in front of tyre), the car spun round with the back wheels acting as a fulcrum point, I was hounded by the other sides insurance assessor into taking money for my injuries, I kept declining as I was not injured. So we had a nice phone meeting, him in his office with witnesses, me on my own as it were. I explained that as I was sitting at the fulcrum point when the idiot struck the stationary vehicle that I was only twisted round the axis point and uninjured, my wife who had hold of the steering wheel being the driver, had a broken wrist and whiplash from being moved sideways a couple of feet, my mother had whiplash as she was sitting in the front too. I was uninjured so would respectfully decline their constant offer of £1000, I had no psychological trauma, nightmares, anything, hell I did not even get a bruise!

He said that ours was the only honest claim he had dealt with in months.