Ducks?

Used to feed a pond a few years ago, running barley etc in the margins had a good few rats showing up, got sick of them being around when shooting, so left it that year.

It was not that deep you could wade it in thigh waders with caution. So we decided to make a floating island in the middle and made it from a pair of three mtr pallets and plastic drums filled with polystyrene beans anchored it with two fence posts each side.

covered the pallet in fertiliser bags then a little soil and hessian sacking over the top.

Soon had grass and spriting corn on it looked like a real island , waded across with a bag of barley now and again in the off season, was a great addition to sport got to knock off pigeons crows etc that came to feed off it in the off season and truthfully never saw a rat down there after we put that up. It needed a Bic in the winter to feed it as it flooded too deep to wade but the island still floated on its mooring ropes and we had good sport down there.

I would do similar again if i had a pond like that.

Used to feed a pond a few years ago, running barley etc in the margins had a good few rats showing up, got sick of them being around when shooting, so left it that year.

It was not that deep you could wade it in thigh waders with caution. So we decided to make a floating island in the middle and made it from a pair of three mtr pallets and plastic drums filled with polystyrene beans anchored it with two fence posts each side.

covered the pallet in fertiliser bags then a little soil and hessian sacking over the top.

Soon had grass and spriting corn on it looked like a real island , waded across with a bag of barley now and again in the off season, was a great addition to sport got to knock off pigeons crows etc that came to feed off it in the off season and truthfully never saw a rat down there after we put that up. It needed a Bic in the winter to feed it as it flooded too deep to wade but the island still floated on its mooring ropes and we had good sport down there.

I would do similar again if i had a pond like that.

Thanks but I have a permanent island and it's too deep to wade in!

I'm surprised your not over run with them pest Canada geese all our ponds are soon be time to get rid of them

I live in Ireland some how we don't get much geese!

Rushes and other things that give food naturally via thier roots or the fact they harbour insects

Sloping edges so duck can walk out

Range of depths so teal and smaller duck have some shallows and larger duck have a tad more water under them

Islands to keep them safer from preditors

And duck tunnels for nesting ( likely next year as if the duck ain't used to them you have a barren year)

Feed it and don't shoot it for the first season. Then only shoot it very lightly

Duck won't find the food unless they land so especially if there are other more attractive areas about that they are used to your pond can be just a water feature

A couple of pet white duck can also encourage use

Edited by kent

I disagree. I have fed several ponds and drains. The ducks never take too long to find grain. Why not shoot them in the first year?

Rushes and other things that give food naturally via thier roots or the fact they harbour insects

Sloping edges so duck can walk out

Range of depths so teal and smaller duck have some shallows and larger duck have a tad more water under them

Islands to keep them safer from preditors

And duck tunnels for nesting ( likely next year as if the duck ain't used to them you have a barren year)

Feed it and don't shoot it for the first season. Then only shoot it very lightly

Duck won't find the food unless they land so especially if there are other more attractive areas about that they are used to your pond can be just a water feature

A couple of pet white duck can also encourage use

I disagree. I have fed several ponds and drains. The ducks never take too long to find grain. Why not shoot them in the first year?

I think you and I are very different. Especially if you don't get why not in the first year. Think a bit

Thanks for the help! Plenty of weeds and there are some islands and it's fairly wild

Sounds good, are there a lot of ducks flying round about the area? Is there far better close by? How deep is it at most and how deep in the margins?

We have a new 1 acre pond on one of our rough shoots and were feeding corn.

On my local lake the birds get loaves of bread and the local wildlife people are pushing alternatives. We turned up with a bag of frozen peas and they turned them down :lol: