dental / denture

AberFowl

After having years of fighting to try keep my teeth in good shape the battle was lost and the decision made to remove them and have dentures made.

Friday just passed saw me have my top teeth pulled out and the temporary plate thrown in.

A week on Friday I will be back for the lower set of teeth out.

Anybody else had this done?

I was told to remove denture 3x a day and rinse mouth with salty water and pop denture in steradent to clean it then give it a brush up and rinse off before putting back in.

Anything else I can do to help the healing process?

The pain at the moment is approx 1 out of 10 and my speech is not bad considering, just a slight lisp and whistling the S's!

Whiskey in large doses untill the pain and whistling go. Or your past the point of caring about it :good: had lots of recurring gum abscesses in my late teens early twenties and begged my dentist to pull the lot and give me dentures but couldn't he said, not allowed.

Hope your getting the full Hollywood perfect bright smile.

Had a front tooth smashed out by a Mercedes coil spring years ago

i couldnt say volvo until i had a denture in

one tip don't use too much denture glue first time i stuck mine in it was in for 3 days and then i had to bend a spoon into a hook and pull it out!

Edited by jonny thomas

I have seen the price of implants, discussion went no further than that!

Hope your getting the full Hollywood perfect bright smile.

No no, not the perfect bright white smile, just be nice to have abit of confidence and be able to smile.

one tip don't use too much denture glue first time i stuck mine in it was in for 3 days and then i had to bend a spoon into a hook and pull it out!

hahahahahaha , that proper made me chuckle. :good:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had all my knashers pulled while I was still in my 20's - a long time ago - and the salt water wash/gargle worked then, so I can only imagine that it will still work now. The dentures will probably seem quite tight at first, because your gums will be swollen after the extractions, but after a while they will shrink and your dentures will start feeling loose. The top didn't bother me too much, but the bottom ones were - and still are - a problem. They more or less just rest on top of what is left of the gums. There isn't much 'suction', but I've learned to live with it.

Made I larf!

I still have trouble with some words after 2 years. Words like 'force' are a nightmare, being a scot in South Wales doesn't help much either.

DON'T get the Dulux brilliant white!

Can't wear my bottom 5. flop about all over the place and stab my tongue.

Edited by Alpha Mule

A friend was on holiday, in some exotic location, and bought some denture glue thinking it was toothpaste. It took him 3 hours to get "some" of it out and about a week to clear the rest from his mouth!! :lol:

2 benefits of dentures, leave them in your pint if you go for a slash so no one nicks your beer,

Use them to crimp the pies when your missus is baking.

I well remember my mate dropping his false teeth in my brothers beer for a laugh , my brother fished them out, took them into the toilet and had a pee on them , then popped them into my mates beer.

Obviously we told my mate ,......just after hed finished drinking the beer lol.

Once everything settles it may be an option to have mini implants which are used to retain the dentures, which means everything is still available on the menu. £3k ish top and bottom

"Smile make over all on four" top and bottom done in a day with full implants £30k give or take even sedated which would help when they give you the bill!

Dental treatment has come on leaps and bounds over the recent years but the good stuff does come at a cost. I have had three crowns fitted over the last two weeks. No pain at all. The crowns were created by taking a laser image of the teeth (no horrible impressions) and then formed on some sort of high tech CNC mill on the spot. £650 per crown.

I also had two implants fitted when I was living in India. Good quality ones at a fraction of the U.K. Cost. Even my UK dentist grudgingly accepted that they were OK.

The crowns were created by taking a laser image of the teeth (no horrible impressions) and then formed on some sort of high tech CNC mill on the spot. £650 per crown.

I had one of these last year at our dentist - Cerec I think its called. Amazing process when you think its all done with cameras and lasers and as you say milled on the spot and a perfect fit.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my pet hates is people with bad teeth. Ive looked after my gnashers. Ive spent thousands on having molars removed and crowns fitted. No lumps of orrible amalgam

Guess I can thank my mum for dragging me down to the dentist for the check ups when i was a kid and having my teeth looked after

I got quoted 1650 prr tooth at my dentist!

Teeth are out now and have ill fitting annoying plates in at present. New plates to be made in a few months when everything settled and healed up properly.

May go for the pegs installed in 4 places top and 4 bottom for plates to attach to making a more solid secure fit, rather than tubes of fixodent plastered allover my gums!