Pigeon "bags".

Cranfield

I have been shooting pigeons (plus other things), for very many years and have been fortunate to have a few 100+ bird days.

In this months Sporting Gun, there is a picture and report of two guns who shot 720 pigeons and 20 crows, in a 7 hour session.

I am not criticising, or disbelieving this event, but I can,t imaging that amount of "action", in a days pigeon shooting.

How many shots must they have fired to achieve that number ?

The mathematics suggest;

740 birds divided by 2 guns = 370 birds.

370 birds in 7 hours = 53 birds per hour.

That is almost a bird a minute for 7 hours.

That is a feat of endurance , as well as a great days shooting. :D

Has anyone here, ever got close to, or exceeded that sort of number ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read that myself Cranfield,

We have had some large bags 'over 200' this year but nothing like that it must have been some days shooting. Their barrels must have been red hot to say the least. My mate has had a 400+ day some years ago '2 guns' but they stopped shooting as they had had enough.

I wonder what they did with them!!!!

The mathematics suggest;

740 birds divided by 2 guns = 370 birds.

370 birds in 7 hours = 53 birds per hour.

That is almost a bird a minute for 7 hours.

:angry: Those figures are stunning enough as it is but even they don't give a true picture do they, as they do not allow for "time out".

During the 7 hours, how much time would have to be spent not shooting doing the things that we all know are part of a day in the hide. Here are a few that immediately come to mind.

1 Tidying up the pattern after birds have been shot.

2 Despatching runners, either with a dog or yourself.

3 Taking breaks for food and drink.

4 Watering the undergrowth after the drinks.

5 With that amount of shooting, going to the car for more cartridges.

After a day like that, i think i would be ready for bed after my dinner and cleaning the gun. Oh and a glass or two of red wine as well of course. :D

<_<

They may have ment 7hrs of shooting, not including the time that they had spent on "time out"

I believe them, why would they feel that they needed to lie?- sporting gun doesnt just give the prices to those with the largest bags.

BUT... They must have taken at least a thousand cartridges!!! THATS A HUGE AMOUNT TO CARRY- plus with all the pigeons and equipment- they would have needed a bloody HGV

:D

tody

Those of us who have been lucky enough to 'suffer' red letter days know that when these days arrive, all hell breaks loose. You only put your dog out for runners, as it does not matter how your dead birds land on the field - birds just come regardless. I have even been out in the pattern trying to pick runners and shot birds whilst picking up. The most I have ever shot in a day is 207 and only stopped after running out of cartridges. This was in a bale hide over peas on the hottest day in 2002 - which nearly enough killed me but thankfully I have an understanding farmer who allows me to use my quad to transport gear and birds. There was not a breath of wind and the birds were dropping like bullets from the heavens into the pattern. The following day was just as hectic, finishing the day with 183 but the day was less warm with bad thunderstorms. What amazes me, usually I find whenever rain or storms turn up, bird activity seems to stop until the rain has passed, yet this day visibility in the storm must have been down to about 80 yards, but they kept coming! :D

am unfotunate enough to live close to a large town so grain stores are a magnet for feral pigeons,two years ago three of us shot just over a thousand in a day.after we got through the first 250 shells we popped to gunshop 5 mins up road for more,then again and again.suffice to say we were way tired,farmer and shop were happy.shot over two thosand shells between us,had a visit from the police and people of biggin hill i apologise !

I agree with TEAL regarding headaches. I have been lucky enough to have had many 100+ days. The first big day I had I did not have my ear plugs with me, and after I had fired over 100 shells i started to develop a bitch of a headache. I tried to ignore it and carry on but without doubt it spoiled what should have been a fantastic day. Even after I stopped shooting the ringing headache stayed with me for hours afterwards. Since then I have religiously packed my plugs and ear muffs whenever I set out after woodies.

Any other members get these headaches after a few shots?

It certainly must have been some days shooting. Who was the clay shooter guy who shot 500+ on his own a few years ago? He is a world class shot and I remember the day was manufactured for him by a gamekeeper pal who positioned him in the hot spot whilst a few other guns kept the birds moving on other fields in the area.

Were these 2 guys top shots?

I try to remember my ear plugs, but I have suffered the headaches and had trouble getting rid of the "taste" of the gunpowder. :rolleyes:

I don,t think the two chaps who made the big bag were "professionals" and I certainly didn,t recognise their names.

The Clay Shooter was George Digweed and he shot over a baited field.

Its been discussed on here before, here is the link.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...1134&hl=digweed

As a nipper I had terrible trouble with my ears, and am unable to shoot more than 2 or 3 shots without the 'ringging' for a few DAYS afterwards.....

Your hearing is very important and will never heal itself.......always wear ear deffenders.... YOU'LL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE I know alot of 'old shooters' who are very hard of hearing....

No smilies.........Serious message here boy's 'n' girls

p.s I'm not connected with the supply or retail of ear plugs !!!!!!!!

Edited by dead-eye-dick

I no what loss of hearing is like as when I was beating with my dad I went to pick up a pricked pheasent (dog wasn't working well) that my dad hadn't even shot, and i bent down and stick went in my ear and perforated my eardrum :unsure: Bit o' blood n a drive to a&e and i back on the rugby field 5 weeks later!!! :lol:

TP