• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mike

Got up this morning, intending to do a heap e mails invoices etc - no internet

Out in the garden under a tree with a decent bit of shade and a lemonade - nodded off 2 hours - won't be able to sleep tonight now

Might as well have a run out Tonight

Best not - every rifle needs a clean and a brush up, better get on with it I suppose while the house is empty

Cheers

Patrol

:lol: glad it isnt just me then mate

Good going lads...

Had a lie out with my mate the other evening . A dog fox came trotting along obligingly at 9.20 pm :)

165%20003_zpsyslhihtw.jpg

Well done Mark :good:

Had a couple cubs and a vixen Saturday night ..one of the cubs came steaming into cottontail rabbit distress stopped him with an Oi and a .223 pill

No pics of cubs but a pic of the vixen

Well done buddy :good:

Aggravating night for me saturday. Got to the first small piece of ground where there is a very wary fox (dont have enough cash for a decent NV or thermal spotter) quick shine with the lamp to see eye shine. Over to the NV to see the fox have a nice stretch on the top of the bank and then disappear off into the thistles never to be seen again. next farm spotted 2 cubs but couldnt get a shot....in a way it makes a change as of late it has been a little to easy.

Keep up the good work.

I cannot shoot one for love nor money Mike. Out last night and called 2 but once again no shot due to topography of the land and the wind kept going from still to gusting. Went home a bit peed off.

I am saving some for you Mark but you sure as hell better keep your love to yourself or you are sleeping in the garden :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Out of interest are you a fussy eater or a lettuce muncher?

Well done buddy :good:

Aggravating night for me saturday. Got to the first small piece of ground where there is a very wary fox (dont have enough cash for a decent NV or thermal spotter) quick shine with the lamp to see eye shine. Over to the NV to see the fox have a nice stretch on the top of the bank and then disappear off into the thistles never to be seen again. next farm spotted 2 cubs but couldnt get a shot....in a way it makes a change as of late it has been a little to easy.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Mike

Have you tried using the N750 as a spotter (with the bolt open of course) I do this if there is a lamp shy fox that I have seen a few times

ATB Dai

Got my eye on three in the field behind my house. :). video showed they came for the bait at 1130 so set up on the kitchen window. They arrived over a 20 min period but skirted the bait. Maybe tonight. ;)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMAG0016_zps5mswu9cx_1.mp4

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMAG0020_zps9ulsrjrj.mp4

a nice big dog and a cub last night. they turned up at 1.40 the dog had already killed a goose but 3 pens down the field from my tower, but luckly he decided to bring it over two fences and to within 100 yards of me to eat it. i let him have a small last supper. at the shot the cub which had stayed one pen back ran for cover, it then came back but behind the fence so i could not get a shot, it went up and down for 5 minutes before clearing off. i had a feeling it would be back so i waited and at 2.20 it reappeared 4 pens down the field it slowly made its way up the field did not give the dead dog a second glance but picked up the dead goose which weighed more than it and tried to carry it off. it could only move it a few yards, so a nice 100 yard shot. its nice when they do exactly what you want them to. but unfortunately doesn't happen very often

Cheers Mike

Have you tried using the N750 as a spotter (with the bolt open of course) I do this if there is a lamp shy fox that I have seen a few times

ATB Dai

I do sometimes mate but I also like to act like a total tool at other times and have a quick first flick of the torch to see what is about...and there lies the problem. I would hope with age comes wisdom but not with me unfortunately :lol:

Got my eye on three in the field behind my house. :). video showed they came for the bait at 1130 so set up on the kitchen window. They arrived over a 20 min period but skirted the bait. Maybe tonight. ;)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMAG0016_zps5mswu9cx_1.mp4

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/oowee2/th_IMAG0020_zps9ulsrjrj.mp4

Good luck buddy. You are enjoying yourself which is good. Dont neglect crow shooting duty though :)

a nice big dog and a cub last night. they turned up at 1.40 the dog had already killed a goose but 3 pens down the field from my tower, but luckly he decided to bring it over two fences and to within 100 yards of me to eat it. i let him have a small last supper. at the shot the cub which had stayed one pen back ran for cover, it then came back but behind the fence so i could not get a shot, it went up and down for 5 minutes before clearing off. i had a feeling it would be back so i waited and at 2.20 it reappeared 4 pens down the field it slowly made its way up the field did not give the dead dog a second glance but picked up the dead goose which weighed more than it and tried to carry it off. it could only move it a few yards, so a nice 100 yard shot. its nice when they do exactly what you want them to. but unfortunately doesn't happen very often

Well done mate. That tower scares me, I would have to wear a parachute for safety :lol:

Hope they play ball a bit better than they are at the minute.

Not a lettuce muncher mate ...a meat eater.

I cant promise of course but fingers crossed the foxes down here arent allergic to Northern gents like yourself :lol: Dont think it is worth you trying to squeak as they only understand Welsh :lol::lol:

Just a singleton vixen tonight, very very light night hereabouts

No breeze just very very very quiet

You know when you get the feeling your on a goose chase and nothing is showing not even a rabbit, out at 8 pm to check the rifle, went to three different areas, sat out with thermal and the 222 see nuffink, had to sit there and talk to the dog and drink me tea and a kit Kat went back to where I started at midnight for ten minutes before going home BINGO

12:30 bold as brass walking across the marshy bit comes the vixen. 100 yds right in the middle of the field just gently cruising through

Quite small must be last years brood, in perfect condition, fox is a fox, birds in Saturday - happy bunny

Patrol

Was out the other night. I know there is a smallish fox out and about somewhere.

There are some (decent sized) lambs in the field, so I head over to the far left and poke my head round the corner. No fox but a couple of rabbit 100 yards off.

Bipod out and line up or the one nearest the hedge's head and let go with a 50g 22-250.

The second one didn't hang around after seeing his mate's head turn to red mist.

I've had a request from a mate, so picked it up.

Headed back down the field after deciding that number 2 wasn't coming back out to play.

I took the body back to the gate and left it nice and high, so the sheep wouldn't play with it.

Then I headed up the right side of the field.

The lambs decided to come see what the story was with the man-shaped hedge that went bang and now stinks of rabbit. And they wouldn't let up following me, baaa-ing loudly the whole time! I was geting pretty peed off by the time I got near the top of the field, where a style is. I was too interested in trying to shoo off 50 odd sheep silently to spot the fox laying in the long grass snoozing.

I spotted the fur just as his head came round. Needless to say he took off far faster than I got the rifle up.

He was substantially bigger than the one i was looking for.

Nothing else showed, so I went home with a very headless rabbit.

So: for your delictation, I give you a picture of some curious, persistant sheep, but no fox!

post-14972-0-95842500-1469558992_thumb.jpg

Just a singleton vixen tonight, very very light night hereabouts

No breeze just very very very quiet

You know when you get the feeling your on a goose chase and nothing is showing not even a rabbit, out at 8 pm to check the rifle, went to three different areas, sat out with thermal and the 222 see nuffink, had to sit there and talk to the dog and drink me tea and a kit Kat went back to where I started at midnight for ten minutes before going home BINGO

12:30 bold as brass walking across the marshy bit comes the vixen. 100 yds right in the middle of the field just gently cruising through

Quite small must be last years brood, in perfect condition, fox is a fox, birds in Saturday - happy bunny

Patrol

Ones as good as the next. Evening out is better than an evening in.

Was out the other night. I know there is a smallish fox out and about somewhere.

There are some (decent sized) lambs in the field, so I head over to the far left and poke my head round the corner. No fox but a couple of rabbit 100 yards off.

Bipod out and line up or the one nearest the hedge's head and let go with a 50g 22-250.

The second one didn't hang around after seeing his mate's head turn to red mist.

Headed back down the field after deciding that number 2 wasn't coming back out to play.

I took the body back to the gate and left it nice and high, so the sheep wouldn't play with it.

The lambs decided to come see what the story was with the man-shaped hedge that went bang and now stinks of rabbit. And they wouldn't let up following me, baaa-ing loudly the whole time! I was geting pretty peed off by the time I got near the top of the field, where a style is. I was too interested in trying to shoo off 50 odd sheep silently to spot the fox laying in the long grass snoozing.

I spotted the fur just as his head came round. Needless to say he took off far faster than I got the rifle up.

So: for your delictation, I give you a picture of some curious, persistant sheep, but no fox!

Next time. :) Rather nice looking sheep :innocent:

BornFree: doesn't the tower shift in the wind? Do you need to take low flying satelites into account?

The alpaca question. Owner of one of my perms got 2 to help look after his pigs and chickens. Totally useless. I got a call early one morning to dispatch a fox that was caught in the new electric fence surrounding the chicken house. The fox had passed through the paddock the alpacas were in to get to it. They were stood looking at it from the far end of the field.

BornFree: doesn't the tower shift in the wind? Do you need to take low flying satelites into account?

The alpaca question. Owner of one of my perms got 2 to help look after his pigs and chickens. Totally useless. I got a call early one morning to dispatch a fox that was caught in the new electric fence surrounding the chicken house. The fox had passed through the paddock the alpacas were in to get to it. They were stood looking at it from the far end of the field.

No its rock steady. When its fully upright it stands on three legs and the wheels are off the ground.

:lol::lol::lol: I have to say that sheep are a sodding nuisance. I have couple of farms where the minute you get near the sheep they stampede across the field bleating their heads off which tends to alert every self respecting fox in a 10 mile radius. I spent 5 minutes one night waiting for a shot at a fox curled up in the middle of a field. There were a couple of sheep in the line of fire just watching the fox and they wouldnt move. They finally decided that the fox had won the stare off so left. The fox looked up as though he was thinking "I knew you would leave if I stayed still" only to receive an 80 grain round in the side of his chest.

Sheep don't compare to a woman when it comes to disturbance WelshMike!

My wifes closest friend has a smallholding. Horses, sheep, chickens, etc. Couple of weeks ago she told us a fox had killed several of her chickens - in the day time - and had also got sixteen of the farmers next door - also in the day. So I went and had a look. Couldn't do anything as her grass was up around my whatsits and rape was around three sides of the propert. Couldn't see a thing.

Saturday she phoned to say her fields had been cut so off I went about an hour before dark. Got there and did a bino's recce and checked the wind. Set my truck and gear up in the yard. All NV stuff. Got the hatch off the Landy. Put the 22/250 up on the rack and loaded it. Donned my overhead face veil - I have a long white beard - donned my dark jacket and hat and drove slowly out to my position on the edge of one of the meadows. Parked and secured the internal drapes over front and back windows. Climbed over the seat into the rear of the truck. Put on my black gloves and gently eased myself up onto the ironing board seat that enables me to have my head just clear of the 360 degree gun rack. All quiet and no disturbance.

Look around with the binos and all quiet with hares and rabbits feeding on the cut grass and the dusk gently descending on rural Suffolk.

"Cooey"! "Are you alright"? "Would you like a cup of tea before you start shooting"?

I turned around and looked over my right shoulder. There is the wifes friend striding across the meadow from the house in flipflops, a brilliantly white skirt and a yellow blouse. Now it must be said that she is a looker, even though we are all getting on a bit, but hell this is foxing time.

No alternative. Climb down and climb out. Go and have a mardle. Decline the tea but accept the kiss and a cuddle when she eventually leaves. (20 minutes later).

Climb back into truck and settle down again after she gets back to the house where she and her husband have guests staying - before anyone gets any other ideas - and carry on foxing. (I'm old but not stupid).

Had to wait for two and a half hours before Reynard put in an appearance. Heading straight towards the henhouse. Quick squeak, bang, dead dog fox.

Waited another two hours but nothing else appeared.

Home at 3am.

Women - I just love them but there is a time and a place...

Hi guys, as my last post, didn't know how to downsize new phone pics,I think I've got it sussed with picture resizer now. Was out with bumpy 22 of here last night and got the three cubs, the rest were mine over the last couple of weeks. I'll put up as many as I can before It says to big.If it works I'll start posting again.

post-64160-0-39780100-1469719239_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-02286700-1469719290_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-19429800-1469719342_thumb.jpg

It only worked with a couple of pics I'll try and sort it :rolleyes:

And for those interested in Magpie control

post-64160-0-41086100-1469720123_thumb.jpg

There are a dozen in there, that's 67 in three weeks, on three different farms

Edited by tonker