Pigeons on barley

la bala

Was out this afternoon with the rimfire looking for rabbits, saw quite a few pigeons dropping into barley. Anyone had a session on laid barley yet.

I haven't shot on any yet, but i have seen pigeons really going on the standing stuff over the last few days. I will be looking to get permission on one particular field close to home. It was covered in pigeons yesterday.

We have odd patches knocked down but the majority is knocked about rather than knocked down flat .

Looked around today and saw more pigeons on barley than I did on peas and with the forecast tonight giving yet another Yellow weather warning for more heavy rain and thunderstorms for later tonight and tomorrow it might start getting a thin on the ground on peas once they find the milkly grain on the barley .

I had a look around yesterday watching the barley and wheat, and there were a few dropping onto sparse patches in the barley when I arrived.

I set out half a dozen decoys and sat in a hedge with the dog, I had a few fly past to look but only 2 committed in 2 hours...I missed both.

I don't think it'll be too long before they start in earnest but still a bit early really. I did get to watch a couple of buzzard chicks on a nest for half an hour and I bagged a bonus magpie.

I had a look around yesterday watching the barley and wheat, and there were a few dropping onto sparse patches in the barley when I arrived.

I set out half a dozen decoys and sat in a hedge with the dog, I had a few fly past to look but only 2 committed in 2 hours...I missed both.

I don't think it'll be too long before they start in earnest but still a bit early really. I did get to watch a couple of buzzard chicks on a nest for half an hour and I bagged a bonus magpie.

That magpie is worth 10 pigeons

Pigeons not quite found the Barley here yet but i have no doubt they will. Barley along side rape are a favourite crop of woodpigeons. We have a few corvids on the barley but as long as the farmer dosen't mention them i wil turn a blind eye. These are helping knock the crop down. :)

I look forward to some good reports over laid Barley in the coming weeks.

got a few on ours but only about 30 local birds, leaving them hoping to draw more, some have been landing on top of the rape and eating the pods looks strange to see grey shapes scattered across the field 3 feet off the ground, cant get near them though.got 300 acres of peas with only small groups of 10 or 20 in odd corners. ash trees and now cherry trees in the villiage always seem to have pigeons in them feeding.

I now have permission to shoot another couple of barley fields that are getting a lot of attention from pigeons and crows. Hopefully this weekend won't be too wet.

I have also just seen pigeons on standing wheat for the first time this year.

a freind of mine shot a old last years oat stubble field on Thursday the oats and weeds have grown back and been flattened down in places all over the field I work just up the road from it and drive by it everyday and the birds have been building up for the past 2 weeks so let him no about um I could hear the shots from my work place and new that it was going to be a big bag ended with 238 picked

I shot over laid barley yesterday with my dad, two hides, he finished on 56 i finished on 123, was a funny day and if i could have got more to decoy i could have doubled the bag. But earlier than expected they seemed to switch there line to a sugar beet feild that I suspect has chickweed growing in it. Still a good day but as motty said i suspect there could be more to come from this feild also. Lots a laid patches in barely around this year.

I got out on the barley yesterday. Ended up with 69 woodies and 7 blacks. More to come from there I expect.

Was out last week picked 34 been watching for few days good traffic building so out later today av a go at them again, only problem no hedges trees etc so it's the middle of the very sunny no wind barley for me

Edited by Shotguneddy