FAC AIRGUN

foxnet22

Having got fac rated airgun on my ticket I'm wondering is it a case of buying fac rated rifle or am I able to convert my present air rifle then give details to my feo or am I right in thinking a gunsmith needs to do this and give information on power output etc.I've heard a few different thoughts on this matter what's your opinion on the subject.

You can have an existing air-rifle upgraded to FAC, but it has to be done by a RFD and it will drastically reduce that second-hand value of your gun. Id look at buying a good second-hand FAC rated rifle, and keeping your current off-ticket one as just that.

I used to have a MkII Theoben Rapid in .22, pushing 32ft/lbs with Bisley magnums. I used to love it, bunnies didn't!

You can have an existing air-rifle upgraded to FAC, but it has to be done by a RFD and it will drastically reduce that second-hand value of your gun. Id look at buying a good second-hand FAC rated rifle, and keeping your current off-ticket one as just that.

I used to have a MkII Theoben Rapid in .22, pushing 32ft/lbs with Bisley magnums. I used to love it, bunnies didn't!

May I ask when/where you got that info from?

I don't know about it having to be a RDF but once converted you can not unconverted it.The market for FAC air is very small,I practically had to give mine away for silly money.Not knocking them as they are the perfect tool for certain locations but expect to make a heavy loss on resale.Once I purchased a rimmy the FAC air never left the cabinet.

Edited by Davyo

My FEO when I asked him the same question as the OP. Would have been about 5 years ago, give or take.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed on this front in the last 5 years, if someone can point out a change in the law I would be grateful, until then, and once again, yet another FEO who doesn't know what he is talking about.

If you have the right paperwork in place there is nothing to stop you doing it yourself.

There is no Legal requirement for a RFD to do this work.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Having got fac rated airgun on my ticket I'm wondering is it a case of buying fac rated rifle or am I able to convert my present air rifle then give details to my feo or am I right in thinking a gunsmith needs to do this and give information on power output etc.I've heard a few different thoughts on this matter what's your opinion on the subject.

What are you thinking of making over limit?

Old man the gun in question is a HW80.although I may look into the purchase of a rapid 7 so it would more than likely be one of these

I would buy one and keep your sub12 just that - they have their place in the field! There are loads of FAC rapid around and a fair few HW80's too, so you shouldn't have to look too far and it saves spending money on up rating one whilst decreasing its value in one stroke.

Old man the gun in question is a HW80.although I may look into the purchase of a rapid 7 so it would more than likely be one of these

Think the most you might get from an 80 without shaking it to bits might be about 18ftlb?

Mine was that with a Titan spring and new seal.

chrisj is spot on?

The 1990s have called they want there Fac air guns back.

Iv never understood Fac springers they just make a hard to shoot gun harder to shoot and you'll get 20 ftlb maybe a Bit more.

Rapids are good but abit old school unless it's a mk2.

Nice and simple to work on though

Iv had several Fac air guns and can honestly say, the one I have now is the best Iv had hands down.

Air ranger in .22. Shooting barracuda match pellets at 930 fps for 40 ftlb.

Some say it's too much, I think it's bang on.

Atb Dave