Gun transport (within a range)

iano

Anyone carrying a broken shotgun with cartridges in will be told very quickly to remove them at our club,

I presume we are talking about walking around the ground here?

If I see anyone walking around a ground, any ground with cartridges in and gun broken then I will ask them to remove them straight away.

It's a safety issue and no room for excuses

:shaun:

Nothing wrong with someone shouldering a gun as long as it is pointed in a safe direction.

When you open a shotgun, it's 'broken' and the extractors are out. If you then put two cartridge in and are stupid enough to carry it like that on the grounds, the cartridge tops are clearly visible as the extractors are still out.

Personally I carry my gun broken over my shoulder, especially in hot weather! I've already seen people taking guns out of the slip and experimentally shouldering it without breaking it. Not nice.

Some years ago on holiday I was taken to a fairly informal clay shooting club on Cyprus. We didn't stay, it was incredibly lax on safety and nobody seemed to even realise.

It did show me that safety is a habit you get into and once you have the habit it never leaves you. :good:

Edited by Vince Green

Glad to see most of us are on the same pages when it comes to safety.

I've seen 2 people who did not carry safely in the past 3-4 years. One old boy with a semi-auto at my clay club, who had very poor muzzle awareness. He was told by 2 people in no uncertain terms that his actions were unacceptable.

The other was at a 'professional' ground, rather than a club, and the person was carrying a closed O/U around not slipped. Again, he was quickly brought up on it by a member of staff. He then tried getting awkward, and was told to leave. More awkwardness, and he was told that the police would be called if needed, to deal with his armed trespass.

Anyone carrying a broken shotgun with cartridges in will be told very quickly to remove them at our club,

I presume we are talking about walking around the ground here?

If I see anyone walking around a ground, any ground with cartridges in and gun broken then I will ask them to remove them straight away.

It's a safety issue and no room for excuses

:shaun:

Exactly.

The amount of times I have to tell people not to put shells in as they are approaching a stand is staggering,usually game shooters who look at you quizzically .

Its a club rule,and its basic common sense.

Semi autos can be carried without a flag,upright ,and open breach exposed.

If the gun is carried without the breach visible,they are asked to make it visible.

If the rules are kept to at clay grounds there is no danger.guns should only be loaded when in the station and pointing at where you are going to shoot.carry it between stations open or in a slip but never loaded.if you don't have a flag for your semi auto then slip it or any piece of rag in the receiver will suffice.