Brewers/ distillers

dodeer

Why?

Its called a Compounder’s licence

If you distinctly alter the character or flavour of a spirit with another substance, other than water, but don’t use a still to do so, you need a compounder’s licence

Not sure but think its something to-do with adding value to the spirit...https://www.gov.uk/guidance/spirits-duty

Its called a Compounders licence

If you distinctly alter the character or flavour of a spirit with another substance, other than water, but dont use a still to do so, you need a compounders licence

Not sure but think its something to-do with adding value to the spirit...https://www.gov.uk/guidance/spirits-duty

Well, that is an eye-opener. Every day is a school day.

Gee, I guess I'll write off for my compounders' licence right away...

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

Guest cookoff013

some brewers even go to silly lengths to brew silly high abv beers like 30% and 50%.

all done by a normal brewing and flash freezing it with liquid nitrogen, and fishing out the water crystals.... removing water to increase the solvent (alcohol)

Used to make sidikie when in Saudi. Main ingredients are water, sugar & yeast, left to ferment for a couple of weeks in a plastic drum and then run through a home made still using a

pressure cooker & a coil of stainless steel tubing. if made correctly it was a very very strong alcohol, It had to be diluted with water. Had to do a blue flame test to ensure it was

pure alcohol if it burned a yellow flame it had to be run through the still again.

Also made a great gin from grapefruit, apples, oranges & potato's sugar yeast & water all left in a large black bin for 8-10 weeks called Jeddah Gin by the expats. I have often thought

about doing some at home but never got around to it.

I got a still from china a while back, and I made some grappa with the grapes from the garden, plum brandy with the plum tree, and even apple brandy with the garden apple. The best one is the apple one, I think I (finally) nailed the process at that moment. This year I'll make some red wine tho, there's a LOT of grapes in the garden. Made some 2 years ago and it turned out as pretty acceptable red/rose sort of aperitif wine.

From my understanding there is a bit of an agreement that if 1) you don't sell and 2) haven't grown fruit trees for the purpose of making booze, you're fine. It's actually quite fun (if time consuming)!