410. Vs 9mm Garden Gun

Pyropredator

I currently have a 9mm Garden gun I use for shooting indoor roosting pigeons and rats in and around buildings, I have recently been offered a Norcia 3 shot .410 that I’m very temped to swap out for my 9mm. How would a .410 do in the situation I’m using it for?

I already have a detectable moderator that a use on my 9mm but would it be significantly louder as I don’t want to cause any upset to livestock? Also I’m aware I can use just use 2 inch cartridges but would these do any damage to buildings?

Cheers

James.

I currently have a 9mm Garden gun I use for shooting indoor roosting pigeons and rats in and around buildings, I have recently been offered a Norcia 3 shot .410 that Im very temped to swap out for my 9mm. How would a .410 do in the situation Im using it for?

I already have a detectable moderator that a use on my 9mm but would it be significantly louder as I dont want to cause any upset to livestock? Also Im aware I can use just use 2 inch cartridges but would these do any damage to buildings?

Cheers

James.

It depends what the buildings are made of. At 10 yards using Eley Fourlongs there was little sign of shot damage to a garden wall when I shot a couple of close range squirrels.

Check that the Norica extracts shot cartridges ok. Mine was sold as working and is OK until the cartridge is fired. The extractor claw spring is weak and the cartridges swell after firing meaning that the spent cartridge doesn't extract hence can't load the next round.

It depends what the buildings are made of. At 10 yards using Eley Fourlongs there was little sign of shot damage to a garden wall when I shot a couple of close range squirrels.

Check that the Norica extracts shot cartridges ok. Mine was sold as working and is OK until the cartridge is fired. The extractor claw spring is weak and the cartridges swell after firing meaning that the spent cartridge doesn't extract hence can't load the next round.

The roofs are corrugated steel so I may be in luck if I keep the cartridges down to 2 inches.

Unfortunately the gun is in a shop so I’m not really able to test fired cartridges in it, although I do have snap caps I can run through the gun to make sure the magazine is working well and extractor claw is at least keeping hold of something. Were you able to fix yours?

The roofs are corrugated steel so I may be in luck if I keep the cartridges down to 2 inches.

Unfortunately the gun is in a shop so Im not really able to test fired cartridges in it, although I do have snap caps I can run through the gun to make sure the magazine is working well and extractor claw is at least keeping hold of something. Were you able to fix yours?

Snap caps don't throw up the problem, it's the expansion of the cartridge when fired which allows the spent case to stick in the chamber if the extractor claw spring is weak. So far I've filed the notch on the claw deeper and run some emery cloth through the chamber, both without much success. Parts aren't available and gunsmiths aren't really interested in such a cheap gun. Edited by Glenlivet

I'd have said 410 was a lot more 'punchy' than a 9mm, I certainly wouldn't consider using my 410 with corrugated steel behind the target.

Are there any realistic ways to downn load carriages so that the 410 won't cause damage. I could always keep both but cabinet space is getting a little tight.

The .410 is a far more powerful beast than the Flobert - the "dust" shot that they tend to be loaded with would struggle to drop a Dragonfly at 20 yards but you could always tip out the shot and replace it with a few no.7's - a tiny smear of silicone sealant always finished the job off nicely and ,thus loaded, the 9mm is far more capable of spoiling Roland's plans for the future. You could try subsonic .410's but I think that by the time you find a round that fails to turn you Farmers roof into a colander you might as well stick with what you have. I used to have a semi 9mm identical to Rimfireboy's picture (restricted to 3 shot) and they dramatically increase your firepower - but also your outlay on 9mm party poppers. Wabbitbosher gets them in from time to time so if you fancied one he would be the man to parle with.

Bernardelli semi auto garden gun could be ideal for what you need?

Man thats a rare bird i never seen one of them before, looks an awesome little rat gun that thing. worth owning just for the sake of owning it that is. :cool1: Do they do a 410 in them.?

Back on topic the 9mm is ideal for what your doing i think, the .410 can do it but you already got a tool for the job, if your wanting a .410 fine buy one but you have something that is capable of your task now.

As a kid in the early 1970s we had a single shot webley 9mm, i remenbered shooting a tool box lid the old hamerite blue ones cheap and everywhere back then, i shot it at about 5 yards it put a right dent in the tool box looked like it had been hit with a 2lb ball pane hammer as hard as you could hit it. It suprised me at the time enough to remem ber it 40 od years latter. :D

I have bought 9mm flobert and variously had a box of 7.5, a box of 10, and a box of 6 shot.

The 10 I'm guessing would be the one for ratty, but wouldn't break an airborne clay at about 15 yards, though stationary clays broke nicely.

The 7.5 and 6 loads will break incomers out to 20 yards, and whilst obviously they aren't holding as many shot, they have enough oomph and pattern to make me happy to take shots on bunnies out to 15-20 yards.

If your 9 is quite open choked then reduce distance, but mine seems quite tight, and at 7 yards will put most of the shot on a hand sized area.

Mine had a crudely fixed 3 shot mag, I used to have a laser pen taped to one side of the gun that I could operate with my thumb and a Maglite torch fitted underneath - we used to shoot on a farm where they fed stale Ice cream cones to the pigs and these were stored in cardboard boxes in a barn - we would wait about half an hour each time then enter the barn - laser on, torch on then barn lights on and we would often be greeted by the sight of 100+ Rats legging it pronto - some used to run towards us and we crushed them under our boots but several used to see the red of the laser pen and go to meet their maker - great fun. The farm was over run with them and on one memorable occasion they ate into, and emptied the tub, of 25kg of poison that had been delivered that afternoon.

Mine had a crudely fixed 3 shot mag, I used to have a laser pen taped to one side of the gun that I could operate with my thumb and a Maglite torch fitted underneath - we used to shoot on a farm where they fed stale Ice cream cones to the pigs and these were stored in cardboard boxes in a barn - we would wait about half an hour each time then enter the barn - laser on, torch on then barn lights on and we would often be greeted by the sight of 100+ Rats legging it pronto - some used to run towards us and we crushed them under our boots but several used to see the red of the laser pen and go to meet their maker - great fun. The farm was over run with them and on one memorable occasion they ate into, and emptied the tub, of 25kg of poison that had been delivered that afternoon.

That sounds like great fun i have to wander around and try and catch one in the food stores or in around the outsides of the barn, they never seem to bait.

Bernardelli semi auto garden gun could be ideal for what you need?

Looks brilliant does that I doubt (after having a quick google) that I will find one on a section two licence though.

Man thats a rare bird i never seen one of them before, looks an awesome little rat gun that thing. worth owning just for the sake of owning it that is. :cool1: Do they do a 410 in them.?

Back on topic the 9mm is ideal for what your doing i think, the .410 can do it but you already got a tool for the job, if your wanting a .410 fine buy one but you have something that is capable of your task now.

As a kid in the early 1970s we had a single shot webley 9mm, i remenbered shooting a tool box lid the old hamerite blue ones cheap and everywhere back then, i shot it at about 5 yards it put a right dent in the tool box looked like it had been hit with a 2lb ball pane hammer as hard as you could hit it. It suprised me at the time enough to remem ber it 40 od years latter. :D

I have a feeling if I see this Norica tomorrow I will likely buy it, it may be a case of finding a use/place for it after the fact.