28" 30" 32"

gav05

How do you choose the best barrel length. Iv shot with all three and one of the best days was a simulted game day using a 725 with 32 battles and extended chokes. But is this to much for a game gun.? I'm really confused my next gun I'm looking to buy is a browning 725 hunter uk grade 3 and I do shoot clays. Pigeons and pheasant and partridge. Some days I go on are all valleys and high birds is the added barrel length better? My next shoot is in a wood and not to many long range birds but more snap shooting so is my swing going to be effected by the long barrels. Any help and advice appreciated how do you choose?

I think you alone can answer the question. Choose whatever feels most comfortable, or what you think you shoot best with.

I shoot with a few different guns with various barrel lengths. I can use them all fairly well, but it is taking me time to get used to my 34" o/u.

I personally have always used 28" barrels as I find I can swing the gun faster and still am able connect with the longer shots. Barrel length is everyone's personal choice, you find will get alot of different opinions on this subject!!

I personally have always used 28" barrels as I find I can swing the gun faster and still am able connect with the longer shots. Barrel length is everyone's personal choice, you find will get alot of different opinions on this subject!!

I'm 6ft 3 and 15 stone. Iv current got 28" battles and do alright I borrowed a mate's 32" clay gun for the simulted day I went on and shot the best I have but wasn't sure as to wether that was the gun!! Or just the sheer number of clays I had time to correct my shooting and stretching the shots and just pushing my abilities. I personally felt my swing was more natural with it rather than the shorter barrel may be being to light and me over swinging! Is I'm out on Tuesday and am going to borrow it again and see how I get on. Also going to go to Ian coley and have a go on a pattern plate and have myself set up on one of there fully adjustable try guns. So will see what the recommended and then I'll order the new gun and have it fully fitted. Just interested in opinion on the matter. I dose bight weight build and shooting style change the chosen length.

The answer is Yes ! Plus the fact height and build do not really come into it . I have known people under 5'4" who swore by 30" barrels and those of 6'plus who shot very successfully with 25" barrels . You pay your money and make YOUR choice , not mine or anyone eleses .

Much more important than the actual barrel length is the balance between your hands.

I use everything from 24" to 34" and allied with the density of the wood or synthetic stock each will give a different balance point.

You need to get out and try as many different set ups as possible and then you can start to make informed decisions.

Good luck