.22 target rifle

Newbie to this

Hi,

I'm just become a full member of a club and looking to start my rifle collection . I've decided on a semi auto for the sporting shoot but am pretty clueless on a bolt target rifle and was wondering if anyone had any advise or recommendations ond choosing one. Budget would be around the £700 mark all in.

Thanks in advance

What sort of range and discipline are we talking?

Open sighted I presume ?

The stock configuration and sighting system are the all important aspects above possible actions and makes in my opinion.

When I first started,I bought an old BSA Martini action target rifle,50 years old,heavy barreled ,complete with rear diopter sights for the princely sum of £80.

It shot well enough,unfortunately I didnt !

We shoot sporting hence the semi auto but we also shoot prone open sights on a indoor 25 metre range. I've decided on a sporting rifle, it was the prone shooting I was not too sure on (I'm sure the guys at the club will give me some pointers but all help is good) just looking for a good starter target rifle and sights.

I personally don't know much about semi autos but some guys use the 10/22 ruger, but they are well tricked up and modified.

I was in your position a few years ago. I got and still have a cz 455 16" varmint with a boyds laminate none thumbhole stock. You need to match ammo to the rifle, I use sk standard plus or eley sport if I can get it,scope wise I use efr leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 vx111.

If I was to start again knowing what I know now I would opt for an anshutz biathlon medium or light barrel with the option of doptier sights and scope. Loads of anshutz match 54-64 on the net. But not many mag fed variations apart from the anshutz mpr.

I agree with Vince - If you want to play the prone target shooting game, even at basic club level, then you need a dedicated target rifle. No sporting bolt action will compete with a 50 year old Martini International or old Anschutz 54.

Don't forget also that the rifle will need to comply with certain rules if you intend to shoot in any competitions, maximum weight, trigger weight etc.

A good BSA Martini International complete with the correct Diopter sights, sling and shooting jacket (and probably a spotting scope too) will all be well within your budget. It will last a lifetime and will continue to increase in value - 10 years ago you could pick up a really good one for £100 now they are getting harder to find.

Others you might think about are the Russian CM2, the Finnish Lion, Walther, Winchester 52, Unique, Remington 37 etc.

Here you go. £250 On here only the other day. You won't wear this out and if you can steer it, It will still take the dot out all day long. But if you are going to get the best out of any target rifle then you need good quality target ammunition like Eley match or TENEX or similar.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/346086-bsa-international-mk-ii-22-lr/

Edited by fortune

We shoot sporting hence the semi auto but we also shoot prone open sights on a indoor 25 metre range. I've decided on a sporting rifle, it was the prone shooting I was not too sure on (I'm sure the guys at the club will give me some pointers but all help is good) just looking for a good starter target rifle and sights.

when you get your semi auto get a m&P 15-22 m8 they are great i have got a 10-22 two but the m&P is so much better m8 for practical shooting

You have been given good advice as regards a proper target rifle. I speak as an active shooter. Nice to see that the BSA Internationals still command respect. Their barrels are the equal of anything modern and the triggers on the Mk IIs and IIIs are pretty good, whilst the adjustable triggers on the Mks IV and Vs are even better, as good as anything modern. The BSA stocks are unfortunately not very adjustable, but the older Anschutz Match 54s also lack an adjustable cheek piece and fore and aft adjustment on the butt, so if you wish to save money go for a BSA - but try it for fit first. For £750 you should be able to find a decent Anschutz 1813 which is fully adjustable and has a good trigger, better than the older Match 54s, though no better than a BSA Mk IV or V. The 1813s go pretty quickly, however, on Guntrader and Gunstar, so you need to be alert and nimble. Good luck.

when you get your semi auto get a m&P 15-22 m8 they are great i have got a 10-22 two but the m&P is so much better m8 for practical shooting

I've already decided on the H&K 416 22lr for the semi auto, I did quite a bit of research but must admit I didn't look at the M&P 15-22 you may have just thrown a spanner in the works.

I've already decided on the H&K 416 22lr for the semi auto, I did quite a bit of research but must admit I didn't look at the M&P 15-22 you may have just thrown a spanner in the works.

The HK is the far better gun,Ive used both ,the M P s plastic upper is a deal breaker for me.

But heres another spanner ,SIG 522 ,SWAT version is best ,not ammo fussy,easy to strip and clean ,and a quality gun all round.

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/SIG522.htm

Edited by Rewulf

The HK is the far better gun,Ive used both ,the M P s plastic upper is a deal breaker for me.

But heres another spanner ,SIG 522 ,SWAT version is best ,not ammo fussy,easy to strip and clean ,and a quality gun all round.

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/SIG522.htm

the plastic upper is fine the m&p has a fully working blot hold open device as well also the barrel on the hk is a pencil thin one which is covered by a barrel cover to make it look like a heavy solid barrel and the bolt strip is horrible on the h&k check out you tube there is a really good video on there channel is G&A and the video is call m&p 15-22 vs h&k 416 watch it before you buy as it is a really detailed video also h&k dont make the 22lr 416 where s&w do make the 15-22 not had any experience with the sig but i have heard good things about them the pencil thin barrel and the bolt unit on the 416 really puts me off them the polymer body is solid on the m&P your not going to break it also the blot runs on steel guide rods its more like a real ar 5.56 than the 416

Edited by kory1986

Forgot to say that you may find an Anschutz 64 rather than a Match 54 for sale. The 64 has a different and slightly inferior bolt and trigger, and usually comes in a stock that is not ideal for prone shooting, though the 64 in all these respects is still perfectly o.k. for a beginner, just don't pay so much as you would for a 54. I won't go into the actual physical differences but check when you see any Anschutz if the seller has not specified that is a Match 54.

If you find a cheap Martini Int - don't be shy of chopping the stock about. You can cut bits off and add bits on to your hearts content without breaking the bank.

I know of chaps who have bought up old BSA Martinis just for the barrel - chop it off and dump the rest - sacrilege really. I've just paid £600 for a .22lr Lilja barrel so I see why it makes sense.

If you find a cheap Martini Int - don't be shy of chopping the stock about. You can cut bits off and add bits on to your hearts content without breaking the bank.

I know of chaps who have bought up old BSA Martinis just for the barrel - chop it off and dump the rest - sacrilege really. I've just paid £600 for a .22lr Lilja barrel so I see why it makes sense.

Absolutely right. Very good suggestion about the stock. I have cut the stock on one of my BSAs - they tend to be overlong for most people anyway - to shorten it so as to add a home-made wooden butt hook.

The barrels were made from special Jessop steel and are extremely accurate by any standards. I believe that when the Anschutz rifles first came out some shooters dropped BSA barrels and actions into the Anschutz stocks, though I would have thought that that was not a particularly easy thing to do because of the Martini action on a BSA. I am still wrestling with the problem of making a fully floating stock for a BSA Mk V. BSA made such a stock for the Mk III International (only) but a vital aluminium component is susceptible to damage, which will make the rifle shoot inconsistently, so Mk IIIs have to be regarded with caution.

It would indeed be sacrilege to dump a BSA action and keep only the barrel. The machining of the action is beautifully done and would cost a large sum to reproduce today

Here you go. £250 On here only the other day. You won't wear this out and if you can steer it, It will still take the dot out all day long. But if you are going to get the best out of any target rifle then you need good quality target ammunition like Eley match or TENEX or similar.http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/346086-bsa-international-mk-ii-22-lr/

250 quid. If I wanted a starting 22lr target rifle I would have snapped this up by now. the gun will probably shoot a lot more accurately than 90% of the shooters on here. I have both an Anschutz and a BSA. The BSA shoots to the point of aim just as accurately as the Anschutz although the new is an older rifle. There was an old man who used to shoot at our club and he used an old BSA that he bought right back in the 1930s. He had shot hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and both he and the gun were still shooting creditable scores even though he was in his 80's. The gun in the link probably dates back to the 1960's but it will still take the dot out all day long. BSA built them to last.