Problems getting HMR ammo?

Harry Callahan

Was in at my RFD today, looking at shotguns, and I needed more 17HMR ammo.

Asked for the ammo to be met by a disheartened sigh. All HMR ammo was taken back by suppliers a few weeks back, after having bad cases, splits and miss-fires - from all brands. He has not been able to get any new batches since.

I bought a very limited supply of rounds 6 months ago, and he had issues getting the ammo back then, but thought it was just a supply 'glitch' back then.

Anyone else experiencing problems buying HMR ammo? I'm down to 45 rounds and really need to stock up.

I love the round, and my rifle even more. Things do not sound good at all, to me, and I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end for the round?

I'm fully aware split cases is nothing new! And I know some on here don't like the round, and would be happy to see the back of it - but for what I want it's very good and I will be very sad if it disappears.

Look out for winchester the only ones that are not made by cci I bought 500 last wèk and they are available unlike hornaby who have not been shipping any to UK for ages as we are a small market and at this time the USA is buying all stock

Edited by psycho

I don't like the sound of this I am about to buy a HMR when i get the variation through. I have just bought some HMR for my May, Africa trip. Its not a popular round out there and they only have deliveries twice a year. That's from Winchester so i hope that what ever rifle i buy will like it :)

Edited by oowee

Look out for winchester the only ones that are not made by cci I bought 500 last wèk and they are available unlike hornaby who have not been shipping any to UK for ages as we are a small market and at this time the USA is buying all stock

Winchester is what I normally buy (or CCI)... and what I can't get!

At this point, I'd be happy with anything!

Cheers guys, I'm glad my RFD is not the only one struggling - did wonder if they were just coming it... but I find it very concerning.

So what's the problem? Is it manufacturing issues holding up supplies? I was told last night, the USA are buying up all the HMR ammo produced. Is that right? Any idea why that might be?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Winchester 9417 - that's the underlever Winchester in 17hmr.

I bought 600 rounds of CCI 17 grain Hornady a good while back.

No complaints about teh ballistics or the impact on rabbits, but I've had a stack of jammed cases that I struggled to get out of the breach in the field.

I wish I had reliable ammo for this gun. It is so useful to just put the cross on the rabbit at anything from 40 to 120 yards and kill it stone dead.

If only I could be sure that cycling the lever would extract the cartridge. I might get ten good operations, or I might get jams in 2 out of ten. It's a real pain. The gun was brand new when I got it.