Shooting appropriate attire

Doc Holliday

I have a couple of dates coming up this season and have decided I ought to get fitted out for the occasion.

I know I could probably do an internet search but I'd rather seek the advice of the tried and trusted members on here.

What will be required and was is a typical outfit likely to cost. I know it won't be cheap but I'd just like an approximate idea of cost.

Also, would it be worn on a beaters day or something less formal, as in usual beating garb as I understand it is usual to take it in turns to walk up and shoot and one would think shooting garb may get snagged/ruined.

Applogies if this comes across as a bit of an obvious question but it comes from someone who is only just getting to understand all the protocol, etc.

On posting this I just realised that the header should have had the first and second words changed around, or at very least a comma after the first as it stands so apologies for that before the grammar police pick me up on it.

Edited by Doc Holliday

For me it depends on what type of day it is. For beaters day, i dress in the same comfy clothes i would wear if i was having a rough walk about with the dog. Many beaters will not have a licence and wont shoot often so wont have the clothes and be in jeans, sweatshirt. But for a 100 bird day, i will be dressed in breeks, waistcoat,checked shirt and Pheasant tie. For a 30 bird diy shoot, i would wear, seeland/harkila waterproof trousers, checked shirt, no waistcoat, no tie. But mainly wear what you feel comfortable wearing.

Lots of good cheap stuff on the Internet. I've noticed recently, particularly on commercial shoots, a tendency for practicality over looks Spotted an old boss of mine who got out of his new Disco looking like Saville Row had fitted him out but he then proceded to cover himself in what looked like 50yo wildfowling waterproofs, ripped leggings and a hat that was definitely ex-mod. Better that you shoot well than look good.

Long socks, breeks, shirt and tie. Jumper, gilet or both and a shooting coat Aigle, Harkila etc or tweed coat. 99% of the shoots I've been on this is what I and everyone else has worn. It's surprising how much more movement you get in breeks compared to trousers especially hopping over fences/ditches etc.

Lots of good cheap stuff on the Internet. I've noticed recently, particularly on commercial shoots, a tendency for practicality over looks Spotted an old boss of mine who got out of his new Disco looking like Saville Row had fitted him out but he then proceded to cover himself in what looked like 50yo wildfowling waterproofs, ripped leggings and a hat that was definitely ex-mod. Better that you shoot well than look good.

PLUS 1

There are some real deals on the internet now (sportsman guncentre is not everyones cup of tea but i've had some real cheap deals off them over the years from the clearance sales), not unusual to see breeks for sale for 10-30 quid, shame for waistcoats, after that u'll probably already have a checked shirt.

Depending on the type of shoot/size of day but becoming more and more common to see lads just shooting in a tidy pair of green trousers wether moleskins (again 30 quidish) or a more waterproof deerhunter/sealand/harkila type of trouser

Must admit i never like ur standard shoting coats as too heavy/warm for anything else so just layer up and have a decent tidy green waterproof jacket