Burglary

jonny thomas

kyska - ShootingEgg has it.If you put the sign up, you acknowledge that you have a dog that bites. The dog then bites someone who sues you. You knew the risk beforehand and were prepared to take that risk. Therefore you stand the consequences.I don't say it will remove your rights - that would be insane, but it does weaken them. It could and would be used against you.The world has gone mad.

Not entirely correct,putting a sign up that you have dogs doesn't mean they will bite you!

It just just to say that you have them,come on I'd love to see a case brought forward that a sign saying dogs has been used means they will bite you and have

It's a warning for people that don't like dogs aswell,

Play the slimey lawyer,s game then ,instead of beware of the dog get 1 of those i live here signs with a picture of your breed of dog on it.It doesnt say beware of the dog <it might bite>just there,s a dog here all innocent like your honour sir.No ambiguity or warning of teeth in bum syndrome just here i am slimeball come in if you wish to meet me

Edited by clakk

Beware of dogs in no way suggests that they bite,a sign with dogs barring their teeth may suggest it

No body in their right mind would put up a sign that the dog will bite them if entering would they?

A do not enter sign what would that suggest ?

I've seen the word OXO on the side of a London bus but in no way did it suggest to me it might be one or taste like one

Growing up our house was never robbed, it should have been because it was a sitting duck! Big detached place with a wood forming one boundary, in Birmingham & the would be thief would enjoy complete privacy if attempting from the rear. I think the deterrent of lads in the house, someone in most of the time, dogs obviously present and obvious security precautions all helped the outcome! I think prospecting thieves just thought there are easier options about. Defend defend defend

Btw Johnny, i lived in Filton for almost two years in my 20's, nice place Bristol, your current topics excluded

The reason your house wasn't robbed back then is we didn't have the scum in the country we have now.

Not wanting to split hairs, but it does. It hardly implies that they will lick you to death. Stick a sign up, but accept that if it goes pear shaped, you knew what you were doing.

That's interesting, so sites that I've seen warning of guard dogs are really making themselves open to prosecution?

kyska - I believe they are.

I do not claim to have a definitive knowledge on this subject, but the advice was given to me by a barrister in about 1994. He laughed at the practice of putting up these signs. "If they only knew" was his quote - from memory.

Then again would you be liable if you didn't pre-warn them?? Just like lakes/pond etc have to have "Warning Deep water" signs. "Warning Dangerous structure" etc etc. You would probably get done if you didn't put up a warning sign and the dog bit them!! Sounds like you cant win either way!

Edit: I have a couple of very large bones (look like dinosaur!) that i leave near the gate! If you saw them you would think a dog the size of a horse lived there!!

Edited by silver pigeon69

Presumably you could indicate the presence of dogs, but suggest they are NOT dangerous: "Dogs on these premises are believed to be docile and friendly". How would the law react to that, if an intruder were bitten?

For a simple deterrent there are "barking dog" burglar alarms. Anybody can join the Rottweiler Club (membership £12/year) and display a poster, even if they own nothing more dangerous than a guinea pig. Lots of RC church members used to have "I love my German shepherd" car stickers, and did not necessarily keep a dog.

Then again would you be liable if you didn't pre-warn them?? Just like lakes/pond etc have to have "Warning Deep water" signs. "Warning Dangerous structure" etc etc. You would probably get done if you didn't put up a warning sign and the dog bit them!!

I believe that if you are unaware that you have a dog that bites, you are better placed than acknowledging that you have a dog that bites, which you need to warn people about.

kyska - ShootingEgg has it.

If you put the sign up, you acknowledge that you have a dog that bites. The dog then bites someone who sues you. You knew the risk beforehand and were prepared to take that risk. Therefore you stand the consequences.

I don't say it will remove your rights - that would be insane, but it does weaken them. It could and would be used against you.

The world has gone mad.

We have signs saying 'dogs running loose' which is far better than warning/beware/own risk etc