FOR ALL OF THE DUCK SHOOTERS OUT THERE

Bungle

Top video, well trained dogs they have ( compared to mine ).

Trouble with youtube is I get sucked in for hours looking at the shooting / hunting vids, beats the hell out of coronation st.

Watched one just now where dogs had a boar at bay and the hunter dispatched it with a rifle while the dogs were dancing round it. Either a bloody good shot or not worried about the hounds :stupid:

Cracking video! How many deeks? Makes me embarrassed to look in me postie bag at my dozen ducks :stupid:

I just love the comments from the antis on these vids. Its amazing that they can be in such a privileged position and not realise how that came to be :) Priceless :good:

Each to their own but I don`t like the the idea of shooting at big flights of fowl, even moreso with non-tox shot. The reason being that their are more duck behind/above the one being shot so there is a greater possibility of pricking/wounding and this is borne out by the retrieves, how many were runners ??

Henryd: Fair point, I might not have seen this but I think I did....

They seemed to pick off trailing and individual birds, I didn't see anyone let loose a whole gun into a skeen.

I agree with what you say, but most of the ones I saw shot seemed well taken.

Each to their own but I don`t like the the idea of shooting at big flights of fowl, even moreso with non-tox shot. The reason being that their are more duck behind/above the one being shot so there is a greater possibility of pricking/wounding and this is borne out by the retrieves, how many were runners ??

If you are referring to the original video , I didn't get the impression that anyone was blazing away into the flocks.

If this was the case, you would expect more wounded birds to be falling and thats not apparent.

It is far easier to pick a specific bird from a group, whether the group be three , or three hundred, than just to shut your eyes and pull the trigger.

Don't forget that all States operate a strict limit on how many duck per species, are permitted to be shot in a day and licences are issued accordingly.

Its not the free for all system that we have.

Non toxic shot is required in the US for all wildfowl shooting and is also used inland , in my experience (especially with guided hunts).

I seem to be bodgeing what I`m trying to say, I didn`t mean to imply that they are blazing away, merely that in the USA as opposed to the UK, they have flightlines where 100`s, 1,000`s or even 10,000`s of fowl are landing in the fields etc. Therefore the mere firing of a shot gun loaded with non-tox HAS TO mean that a greater percentage are pricked, if it were I that was sat there I would be very wary about which bird I was to target, to the point I would be unwilling to shoot the bigger flights.

your dog must be terrible if it's worse than those,i think a couple of times the dogs were on the ducks before they even hit the deck,thats not good thats just dogs running in cause there owners don't train them right!

Trouble with youtube is I get sucked in for hours looking at the shooting / hunting vids, beats the hell out of coronation st.

Watched one just now where dogs had a boar at bay and the hunter dispatched it with a rifle while the dogs were dancing round it. Either a bloody good shot or not worried about the hounds :)

Compared with the standard of steadiness required of normal gundogs these dogs were rubbish, although its not the dogs fault they have been allowed to "run in" at will and have become so "hotted up" that they no longer respond to the handlers.

Its a different style of shooting, not one that I personally would enjoy but would be interested in the cartridge to kill ratio using the semi autos.

:blush: D2D

Quite a few wildfowlers I know, encourage their dogs to run in to shot, this can be very useful when shooting over tidal waters.

In my experience, most US guides dogs run in to shot.

The quicker the limits are shot, the quicker he can go home to bed. :)

Fair comment, its a very different style of shooting, the vid portrayed it to be a bit of a numbers game similar to our commercial driven days of the Eighties now long gone thankfully.

:blush: D2D

Quite a few wildfowlers I know, encourage their dogs to run in to shot, this can be very useful when shooting over tidal waters.

In my experience, most US guides dogs run in to shot.

The quicker the limits are shot, the quicker he can go home to bed. :D

Fair comment, its a very different style of shooting, the vid portrayed it to be a bit of a numbers game similar to our commercial driven days of the Eighties now long gone thankfully.

:stupid: D2D

I agree. I like my duck flighting but that looked a bit of a slaughter B)

There is absolutely no way you can match wildfowling in the UK with that of in the US. There was a mention in an earlier thread regarding hunters blasting away at one bird. Volley firing in a group is the norm in American wildfowling where as wildfowling in the uk is a more solitary affair. It is generally down to the style of American Hunting where the emphasis is on the kill as opposed to the typical English ways of a sporting Gentleman.

A cousin of mine who immigrated to the US is a keen waterfowler, and a lot of the places you go are extremely remote. A lot of wildfowl is also regarded as a semi pest species over there, due to vast damage of crops.

Anyway as far as I am concerned all Hunting in America beats the hell out of what we can do over here!

It always fascinates me how many decoys the US duck guides put out.

I have shot wildfowl in Louisiana and there must have been close to 200 various decoys in the set up.

Cranners you have to let them know a party is going on! I put out around 100 on the river, if you dont they just fly past :good: