Silver investing.

Whatmuff

Hi

Interesting thread 😊

Just wondering if it's that easy to do i.e.

Make money on the stock market

How come so many endowments and pension funds managed by experts

Have lost money 💰

Although this is probably a slightly different type of investment

It seems to me that a broker or financial expert is the same for both

All the best

Of

It's easy to look at an historical graph of anything and pick the low and high spots and say "well if I bought when it was at its lowest and sold at it's highest I would have made £x". The problem is spottting the low and the high in real time. It isn't easy.

In a rising market (referred to as a bull market) it is easier to make money as prices are generally rising. We are currently in one of the longest bull markets ever, 5+ years. In a falling market (a bear market) it is obviously harder. Bear markets sort the men from the boys.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to look at an historical graph of anything and pick the low and high spots and say "well if I bought when it was at its lowest and sold at it's highest I would have made £x". The problem is spottting the low and the high in real time. It isn't easy.

This is why we go to experts and pay them

In a rising market (referred to as a bull market) it is easier to make money as prices are generally rising. We are currently in one of the longest bull markets ever, 5+ years. In a falling market (a bear market) it is obviously harder. Bear markets sort the men from the boys.

Last five years (bull market) most private pension funds have lost money for the investor and made money for the (boys)

Hi

Interesting thread

Just wondering if it's that easy to do i.e.

Make money on the stock market

How come so many endowments and pension funds managed by experts

Have lost money

Although this is probably a slightly different type of investment

It seems to me that a broker or financial expert is the same for both

All the best

Of

Any type of investment like these is a risk and as they tell you in the small print 'your investments can go down as well as up' you may not get back all the money you have invested but over the long period investments are a good way of growing your pension pot but be prepared for five years as a minimum.

I had a look into that, and your right. Spot price of silver per oz is currently around £13 however to buy a oz coin is around £20 in the UK as the VAT and mark up which is pointless as you would need a massive increase to make any money at all. So I bought a load from Germany for around £16 an oz which is a much cheaper alternative.

Mmm what did the photographic industry use silver for?

Are you crazy? You'll have to keep it for a long time to make money what with tax and the spread. Why not gold? Vat free and much more volatile. I hold physical gold and also trade it on cfd and spread bets.

I bet the boys have made more money than the small pension investors

They certainly haven't lost

Anyway apologies to op back to silver can't hurt to have a kilo or two under the bed

Worse case make silver bullets incase vampires come round

Let's stick to facts rather than your opinion.

Sample pension funds from BlackRock (I chose BlackRock as I have the fund documents to hand)

BlackRock DC 70/30 Global Growth fund - 5 year performance 13.7% per annum (20.7% over last year)

BlackRock DC Alpha Smaller companies - 5 year performance 16.8% per annum

BlackRock DC Corporate Bond - 5 year performance 9.8% per annum

BlackRock DC Property - 5 year performance 7.7% per annum

BlackRock DC American Growth - 5 year performance 19.1% per annum

BlackRock DC Gold & General - 5 year performance -4% per annum (however is up 112% over last year!)

These are funds that, assuming you have some choice over where your pension is invested and most people in defined contribution schemes do, anybody can chose. So with a reasonably diverse portfolio it isn't hard to have got 10% growth per annum over the past 5 years.

Sample pension funds from BlackRock (I chose BlackRock as I have the fund documents to hand)

BlackRock DC 70/30 Global Growth fund - 5 year performance 13.7% per annum (20.7% over last year)

BlackRock DC Gold & General - 5 year performance -4% per annum (however is up 112% over last year!)

These are funds that, assuming you have some choice over where your pension is invested and most people in defined contribution schemes do, anybody can chose. So with a reasonably diverse portfolio it isn't hard to have got 10% growth per annum over the past 5 years.

So I'm not allowed a opinion?

Just out of interest how many of the FTSE 100 companies pension funds are in deficit

Anyway seems I've touched a nerve here so I shall move on 😊

All the best

Of

It's less than ten years since the last crash.

Is immigration really your only reason for house prices going up and never going down?

The only reason that anyone has lost money buying houses is buying to rent on a mortgage if you are buying a house to live in it or paying cash it does not matter what happens to the value of the house it may go up or down but in the long run it will only go up the the house value dropped in the 1980s it soon came back up again as long as you stayed put you cannot loose for whatever reasons our population is going up fact.

So this is where all of the Quontative easing money is ending up one thing for shore it is not benefiting most of the working people in the world .

So this is where all of the Quontative easing money is ending up one thing for shore it is not benefiting most of the working people in the world .

Keeps them in a job. Money management is a job same as any other.

So I'm not allowed a opinion?

Just out of interest how many of the FTSE 100 companies pension funds are in deficit

Anyway seems I've touched a nerve here so I shall move on

All the best

Of

Missing the point.

Some small pension investors have done very well. The hard part is doing well in the real world. Easy to be £ rich and world value poor. Not a problem if you only live and spend in the UK.

i buy silver but i buy it as coins mainly old english ones that have a collectable value,

Good move i think if you know what you are doing. Wine, stamps, coin and arts(guns?) all good choices for those that know.

The only reason that anyone has lost money buying houses is buying to rent on a mortgage if you are buying a house to live in it or paying cash it does not matter what happens to the value of the house it may go up or down but in the long run it will only go up the the house value dropped in the 1980s it soon came back up again as long as you stayed put you cannot loose for whatever reasons our population is going up fact.

Not quite true, this was one of the reasons, many senarios led to property loss, mainly having to sell at a less than ideal time. Bank forclosure,employment circumstances changing,lending criteria changing,reluctance on the lenders part.etc etc.

Not quite true, this was one of the reasons, many senarios led to property loss, mainly having to sell at a less than ideal time. Bank forclosure,employment circumstances changing,lending criteria changing,reluctance on the lenders part.etc etc.

This is exactly why I can see a massive property crash coming. The price of housing is as high as ever and the interest rates are the lowest they have ever been, and therefore cheap to borrow. We now live in a society of people that find it acceptable to borrow money for everything, house, car, credit and lots of other things. Trouble is the interest rates are so low that borrowing is cheap! And a lot of people do not understand what a mortgage is or what they've tied into! They see the monthly payment and can afford it. I have friends on 20grand a year and others on 200 grand a year, and their attitudes are no different, "buy the biggest house I can and borrow as much as I can, as my house will rise in value". And they live every month in the red, overdraft and credit cards. So what happens when the interest rates rise? Many people and banks are irresponsible these days and living well outside their means, even the government borrows at an alarming rate, as do other governments. I just wonder how much physical money is out there, not electronic and what assets people have, other than today's value of property. Interesting thoughts from people this thread.

While there is a transient growing population housing will continue to rise over the long term, too many folk too few houses, wealth doesnt have to be gererated here and banks will always endeavour to promote the borrowing as it makes them money, I believe any relatively short term "crash" will be out weighed by groeth over the long term,i just dont know what long term is,The trick is i guess to insulate your self from being forced to sell in the slump, traditionally those of an older disposition save in the good times, rainey day money. For todays generation saving is a laughable trait.

I collect silver coins and bars and have a few gold sovereigns too, do I think I'm going to make a lot in the future probably not. I save them for the kids as something extra to the savings when I turn up my toes, I used to spend at least £20 a week on sweets and sandwiches at the shop near work ever week knocked that on the head and use the money to buy more silver. In a year it all adds up extra! I would never put all my eggs in one basket for any way of making money be it shares, stocks precious metals etc. Plus I like shinny stuff! Just my two penny's worth

I collect silver coins and bars and have a few gold sovereigns too, do I think I'm going to make a lot in the future probably not. I save them for the kids as something extra to the savings when I turn up my toes, I used to spend at least £20 a week on sweets and sandwiches at the shop near work ever week knocked that on the head and use the money to buy more silver. In a year it all adds up extra! I would never put all my eggs in one basket for any way of making money be it shares, stocks precious metals etc. Plus I like shinny stuff! Just my two penny's worth

Diversification is a good thing.

This is exactly why I can see a massive property crash coming. The price of housing is as high as ever and the interest rates are the lowest they have ever been, and therefore cheap to borrow. We now live in a society of people that find it acceptable to borrow money for everything, house, car, credit and lots of other things. Trouble is the interest rates are so low that borrowing is cheap! And a lot of people do not understand what a mortgage is or what they've tied into! They see the monthly payment and can afford it. I have friends on 20grand a year and others on 200 grand a year, and their attitudes are no different, "buy the biggest house I can and borrow as much as I can, as my house will rise in value". And they live every month in the red, overdraft and credit cards. So what happens when the interest rates rise? Many people and banks are irresponsible these days and living well outside their means, even the government borrows at an alarming rate, as do other governments. I just wonder how much physical money is out there, not electronic and what assets people have, other than today's value of property. Interesting thoughts from people this thread.

I do agree with that. But 2007 proved that's governments will do any thing to avoid a reset if they can. Any correction is going to engulf the thrifty along with the debt ridden.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is :- we will all go together when we go, so why not have a nice car and big house while we're waiting.

(I also buy investment grade sovereigns when the price dips low enough)

I do agree with that. But 2007 proved that's governments will do any thing to avoid a reset if they can. Any correction is going to engulf the thrifty along with the debt ridden.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is :- we will all go together when we go, so why not have a nice car and big house while we're waiting.

(I also buy investment grade sovereigns when the price dips low enough)

Good shout, but where would they go this time as they have no movement on interest rates? Or could we possibly see negative rates to stabilise markets and lending!

well that's my thinking too, the amount of money wasted these days on electrical items and expensive things that deflate in value, why not have a little money a month towards the gold/silver for the future as we just don't know whats on the horizon.

Good shout, but where would they go this time as they have no movement on interest rates? Or could we possibly see negative rates to stabilise markets and lending!

All this talk of the next big crash is really quite futile. We have all lived through, supposedly, the worst economic downturn for a generation. Has anything really changed? If interest rates go sky high who really loses? The banks because they will have millions of defaulted mortgages. Who run's our economy? The banks. Who creates money? The banks. They exist to make money, literally. They are not going to sit back and watch their balance sheets burn. All this doom and gloom over quantatative easing as if cash is some finite resource. They just make it and will continue to do so as needed. Our economy runs on debt. As long as people can service that debt then so be it.