Calling PW Carpenters - Advice

Cosd

I've just hung two internal Oak french doors which are not recessed in the middle. The doors are hung and lined up top and bottom, but I haven't trimmed them in the middle yet and there is approximately 1mm overlap at the top and 2-3mm down the bottom where they meet in the middle. Note, the doors are hung on short 'parliament' hinges.

My question is this, how do I work out the smallest gap between the two doors before I start planing and making the gap too big? I'm fine doing this on a single door, but having done this years ago, in order to allow both doors to open or close at the same time, the gap ended up too big so they didn't touch. Being these are also on parliament hinges, the swing would also be greater than standard hinges I think!

Any tips on how to mark out my lines for planing etc, would be much appreciated.

Hope this makes sense.....

Cos

Edited by Cosd

offer doors to the opening plane both doors to fit the opening including all gaps to your liking then space the top and sides then wedge in place mark the hinges on door and frame remove doors finish hinge marking and chop out hang doors all should be good

if you want the doors to open back to the wall you can sometimes achieve this with 4" hinges as parliament hinges flex a hell of a lot hope this helps

I assume that they are just a pair of cheapo doors off the auction site.

Does it matter if they look skew wiff.

Or as I suspect. They are not cheap and you want them to look Ace ???

I would spend a few bob and get a proper on the job.

Xx

I would question whether or not they have been hung nice and square.

I assume that they are just a pair of cheapo doors off the auction site.

Does it matter if they look skew wiff.

Or as I suspect. They are not cheap and you want them to look Ace ???

I would spend a few bob and get a proper on the job.

Xx

Actually they are solid oak doors bought from a door company.

Cheers for the advice :)

Might not be practical but I have double doors between living and dinning room but they are on a slide at the top and are hidden when open, think of a double green house door.

No hinges and you don't need to leave the area of swing clear but you need to do the false wall

mark the centre of the head of the liner, mark the centre of the threshold, hang one door and allow a mm gap from the line, then remove and do the other side. depending on the thickness of the door you'll need to take off the leading edge of both doors, this is aggravated by having parliament hinges, so an element of trial and error is involved. best of luck.

Actually they are solid oak doors bought from a door company.

Cheers for the advice :)

What I'm getting at Cosd, you have some nice doors and then you stand a chance of spoiling them for the sake of getting a pro in to fit them.

Once you start plaining bits off to make them fit, you ain't going to be able to stick it back on.

It's difficult to explain the process, it's just one of those things us joiners do.

Like knowing how much leading edge to allow and how much and when to taper the hinge cut.

Starting with working to the center line is a good place to go from.

+1. This is why I haven't given any input as a carpenter. Without having the frame in front of me which could have a bow halfway up etc etc, I couldn't give you the exact advice. Atb

What I'm getting at Cosd, you have some nice doors and then you stand a chance of spoiling them for the sake of getting a pro in to fit them.

Once you start plaining bits off to make them fit, you ain't going to be able to stick it back on.

Hear what you're saying.

I'm a competent DIY'r and have hung a number of doors in th past. I'm also too bloody fussy :)

I'll work it out, I was just after a method so to speak, else it will be bit by bit removing and refitting loads of times till I get it right.

+1. This is why I haven't given any input as a carpenter. Without having the frame in front of me which could have a bow halfway up etc etc, I couldn't give you the exact advice. Atb

Totally understand

Thanks anyway guys

Hear what you're saying.

I'm a competent DIY'r and have hung a number of doors in th past. I'm also too bloody fussy :)

I'll work it out, I was just after a method so to speak, else it will be bit by bit removing and refitting loads of times till I get it right.

Just make sure you leave a big enough door way if you keep trimming bits off. :lol: