Certificate renewals

My license has now expired so I emailed the local firearms dept asking for a temporary license to be issued under Section 7 of the Firearms act and I got a quick reply;

I can confirm that you do have a live certificate with an expiry date of 16/04/2022 and because you have a live certificate it is not possible to print a temporary permit.

You are and remain to be legal even though you do not have this in you possession. This should not stop you from shooting as we have a National database and in the event that an officer did stop you they are able to conduct a search and establish that you are a live certificate holder.

Your certificate is currently with FEO ******* and his number is ******, as your certificate became live as of yesterday he may not yet have your file.

​I guess that I have to just wait and/or hope that should I get stopped the above statement is correct. I suspect I might be ok in my "issuing area" but I am not sure what would happen if I travel out of area or to Scotland

My license has now expired so I emailed the local firearms dept asking for a temporary license to be issued under Section 7 of the Firearms act and I got a quick reply;

I can confirm that you do have a live certificate with an expiry date of 16/04/2022 and because you have a live certificate it is not possible to print a temporary permit.

You are and remain to be legal even though you do not have this in you possession. This should not stop you from shooting as we have a National database and in the event that an officer did stop you they are able to conduct a search and establish that you are a live certificate holder.

Your certificate is currently with FEO ******* and his number is ******, as your certificate became live as of yesterday he may not yet have your file.

​I guess that I have to just wait and/or hope that should I get stopped the above statement is correct. I suspect I might be ok in my "issuing area" but I am not sure what would happen if I travel out of area or to Scotland

They're spinning you a yarn I'm afraid.

They have either printed your new tickets or they haven't, and if the latter then they are duty bound to issue a S7.

No it isn't correct. If they can't supply your ticket by the due date, it's their problem they have to issue you a section 7 or you are in possession of your guns illegally.

They are just trying to save on paperwork. If you are a member of a shooting organisation get onto them a.s.a.p. They'll be all over this nonsense.

You don't have to be in possession of it every time you take a gun out, but you do have to have one, not the promise of one.

Don't take no for an answer.

+1.

They have to issue one by law. If you are a member of BASC, give them a ring and report it. Write to PCC for your area and complain to the Chief of police and, if necessary your MP. That should get things moving.

There is a stipulation that you must be in possession of a current certificate or lodge your guns with a Registered Firearms Dealer until your certificate arrives. Don't take no for an answer. My FAC ran out last September and I sent the forms in April. Come the expiry date a temp certificate arrived on the mat. I had already had to hand my expanding rounds in to my local RFD. 12eks later my new certificate arrived.

Edited by Uncle Albert

You received this reply from the very folk that will, when ready, post you your licence.

I don't see that as a problem personally.

You received this reply from the very folk that will, when ready, post you your licence.

I don't see that as a problem personally.

This 'reply' leaves the person in question in illegal possession of his own firearms, unless I'm mistaken. If his new license has been printed then it should have been sent to him, and until it is he should be issued a S7 to stay within the law. I received my S7's for FAC and SGC before ( rightly or wrongly ) my current tickets expired; so it can obviously be done

Yes, but in the meantime there is the potential to be arrested, celled and guns confiscated and treated gods knows how whilst in the possession of plod. The law says that you MUST be in POSSESSION of a valid certificate, not an email, although granted that would probably help sort things out in the long run but after no end of hassle.

I can imagine if this ever got to the point of prosecution, then you provide evidence that the very people that control the system send you that email.

Mmm I think that could be your trump card.

Edited by Penelope

Yes, but in the meantime there is the potential to be arrested, celled and guns confiscated and treated gods knows how whilst in the possession of plod. The law says that you MUST be in POSSESSION of a valid certificate, not an email, although granted that would probably help sort things out in the long run but after no end of hassle.

Saved me the need. Ta.

but if they have printed out his licence and he has not got it,they know all is ok so he should be ok,or they would have been round to him.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree; it is very unlikely he would be prosecuted or even pursued, but If they've printed out his ticket then he should have it. He should either be in possession of his tickets or a S7; but not neither. At the time of posting he has neither.

Licensing authorities appear to play fast and loose with which parts of the firearms acts they want to adhere to, when the fact is, it's not up to them to choose which parts apply to them.

And where does the law state that you have to be in possession of your FAC/SGC. There are plenty of circumstances when one is not in possession, such as when sending it in for a change of address, a variation or sending it to a remote seller when purchasing another firearm.

He has written confirmation that his certificate is current, no more is legally required.

I think some are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I can imagine if this ever got to the point of prosecution, then you provide evidence that the very people that control the system send you that email.

Mmm I think that could be your trump card.

No !!! I'm stickin

I'm happy with my answer. ;-)

Progress!

I emailed the firearms department confirming by disappointment at not receiving my new licence - No reply.

Yesterday I called and expressed my disappointment and concern at having to wait another 10 days for the FEO to return to work. They said that they would call me back which they did.

"You have been selected to take part in a new scheme we are considering. Someone will call you tomorrow and you will undertake a telephone interview"

They rang this morning and aske;

"is your cabinet in the same place" - Yes

"Do you have any other forms of security" - Yes, intruder alarm and locking windows

"Do you live alone" No

"Do any of the others living at the property have access to the cabinet keys" No

"We will post your new certificate first class today. Thanks for your help"

116 days since my application and my new certificate should be with me tomorrow/Saturday

Edited by ilovemyheckler

• 2 weeks later...

Iv got a week left before I become 'illegal' lol, keep looking at the post on the mat expecting it, why does printing a new cert take so long, surly a renewal should be straight forward, they know you have not been naughty or they would have come knocking anyway!!

couple more days and I'll be making the call for temp cert or update.