cz .222

la bala

Any of you boys use a CZ .222 ?. I have had a slot for .17 and never filled it, thinking of going for 222 for long range rabbits and carrion. I have had a CZ .22 LR many years and cannot fault it. Ideally I would like another synthetic. Any help from you boys would be good ie, Price, Model and if you have one , your views and opinions, cost of reloading, you know the stuff. many thanks. Dave

I have a cz 527 in .222 I love it and it has a sweet set trigger, I also reload for it I have yet to make a bad loadi it don't like, reloads I am making at moment are about 37p a go but got my bits a few years ago costs of components have gone up since I would say somewhere in the region of 45p a bang now

Colin

Edited by colin lad

i bought a 222 a year ago, looked at CZ and the rest. In the end decided on a Tikka but the CZ was a nice well build rifle with a tried and tested design, I know i would not have been disappointed with it.

If i was looking now i would strongly consider the Sauer 100. My friend has just bought one, its the same price and an extremely nice rifle.

I have a cz 527 in .222 I love it and it has a sweet set trigger, I also reload for it I have yet to make a bad loadi it don't like, reloads I am making at moment are about 37p a go but got my bits a few years ago costs of components have gone up since I would say somewhere in the region of 45p a bang now

Colin

I have the same , I'm a Cz snob

I have the CZ527 in 223, but I know plenty of folk who use it in 222 and 204....all great accurate rifles. As to reloading, if I allow for reusing brass 5 times [which I do, sometimes more if I don't lose it first] I reckon the cost per round is approx. 50p [Hornady 40g Vmax, Benchmark Powder, CCI 400 primers, Hornady brass] If I could get my hands on decent cheaper brass, I reckon I could reduce that to 35p, which is exactly what I'm currently paying for 17 Hornady HMR ammo.

Edited by beanieboy

I have had a CZ527 Varmint with the heavy barrel since 2010- fitted with a Wildcat Pred mod.

It's a nice piece and as said- the set trigger is nice and crisp in my opinion.

Can't find anything negative to say apart from the scope mounts were non std size.

It was with me in Frogland and didn't see much use but now we're back in Norfolk I hope to secure some foxing for it.

Just bought a 527 in 17 hornet. 3650fps and an absolute tack driver at 150yds and 700 loads from a pound of powder. Rings were a problem but found an 11mm adapter from Potters for a tenner until I get the scope I want for it.

• 5 weeks later...

La Bala,was perusing a few threads and came across this one. If you're still thinking of a .222, I have a S/S Tikka 595,that I bought for a rebarrel project. Went a different route,so can't justify keeping it. Bought it as a "shooter" from a reputable gunshop and is 8/10 condition.

PM me if you're interested. Cheers.

I have one in .222 with a heavy barrel, bought it new 3 years ago and I've got a s&b 8X56 on it, yes I had to order special mounts but it wasn't a problem.

It's used as my foxing rifle as north Wales doesn't have .17hmr for fox, I could of had a .223 or bigger but I read up so much and the only bad thing I found about the .222 was that rounds were hard to find. I've never had a problem finding rounds and although I use cheap factory ppu rounds in 50g I can cloverleaf at 100 yards and only the scope let's me down at 200 yards as its a 8X zoom however don't get me wrong I can still achieve a 1,1/2" group at 200, I've read you can get better if you reload yourself but at this time I'm more than happy with factory rounds.

I also have a .17 hmr and .22lr and I've got a .22wmr slot on my ticket and I'll have to admit that the .17 is my go to rifle for long range rabbits and crows but if I'm only going for foxes I take the .222, without sounding like a wimp the only thing I've found is mine has a walnut stock and a heavy barrel so if your walking far like I have too here in hilly Wales it does get a bit heavy, a good leather sling did help a little but I know have a rucksack type case which is fantastic.

Hope this helps....

Tedly

• 1 month later...

Not 222 but 22 hornet and 7.62 Russian and live the little 527 rifles.

What do you think of the larger ones?

Particularly the action of the CZ 550?

I've a CZ 550 American in 243 win at the moment, does everything I need :) I liked those 308s you made though mate :)

550 a modified Mauser action they are reliable but not the slickest slightly agricultural but work every time. I don't own a large CZ only 527 micro Mauser action guns.

Glad you like the rifles I enjoy building them as much as shooting them!

Edited by welshwarrior