Help! CCTV please

aka_t50

Ok guys I'm after some help I'm looking at fitting CCTV to my property after my bike was stolen don't want to spend a fortune but if I'm going to do it the footage has got to be usable or it's a bit pointless. Has anyone got any suggestions do I need to get the professionals in or is it a diy job I can do there are so many different things I'm unsure what to get thanks in advance for any help cheers Tim

My son recently changed our CCTV systems at the works for kit purchased at Maplins.

I'm not sure of the model, but it cost us £250 ish for the complete system with 8 high definition cameras.

The day after install of the new kit we had an overnight visitor on one of the yards.

Bingo, perfect pictures. Police well impressed with quality.

One piece of local scum on his way back to where he belongs.

If you want the model etc I'll ask young webber.

webber

Many recent posts on here with various recommendations.

We have a pro Hikvision on our own house and the netgear Arlo system on this one we're in now--- both equally good in my opinion and quite some difference in price.

Arlo benefits from being totally wireless so cams can go anywhere, but it does need an internet connection as not 'self sufficient'

Our HIK system runs 8 cams continuously and emails motion detection- is also connected to a UPS for power cuts/deliberate tampering

Webber- could you find out what make it was pls? I thought Maplins used/sold Swan CCTV products, which in my experience are very cheap, in price/quality.

(ps if you have/buy a Swan system and it fails after a year or so, check the power supply!!)

The quality of the CCTV will depend on price and the distance you need to film. The further the distance from the camera, the better the camera you will need, especially if its IR/night vision. Most cheap diy systems will be fine for filming about max 5m away. ( to obtain decent stills from)

CCTV is only good if you, or the Police attending the incident, know the culprit. The Police are not going to put the culprits picture on Crimewatch for knicking your bike or breaking into your garage.

Yes they will, you'd be surprised what images get circulated.

Get some nice clear cameras and for the love of God put them where they can't be moved and also where they are likely to get faces and registration numbers. Not necessarily both but you need one or the other.

You can do this Diy and even link them to your smart phone.

Yes they will, you'd be surprised what images get circulated.

Get some nice clear cameras and for the love of God put them where they can't be moved and also where they are likely to get faces and registration numbers. Not necessarily both but you need one or the other.

You can do this Diy and even link them to your smart phone.

Maybe in your area, but in Maidstone, on the last two occasion in the last 12months, the Police came and saw the images. They did not take copies or ask for stills, so unless they had photographic memories and were excellent portrait artists, i doubt if these were. Admittedly the scroats only damaged fences and stole garden utensils and ornaments etc.

I fitted a Swann system from Maplins. 4 cameras hard wired into re recorder unit. About £500 You'll need a decent sized screen to view it on. Simple dog. The cameras need to be down low and concealed to see who is about. It isn't any good if they are up high because all you see is the top of their heads and that's just no good. It can be linked in so you can watch online anywhere anytime. Do a search there's more to it than just buying and fitting.

+1 :good: i have swann and they are good.

You could also get a driveway alert,its geat anybody crosses my front boundry and i know they are there.

What did you get and where from? I think that this is more important than the cameras. Detecting an incident lasting a few minutes or less on the playback is not easy. It would be helpful if we were alerted to the fact that someone is poking around. No one sits monitoring a screen 24/7. The only ones that I have seen run on AA batteries Edited by fortune

In process of getting hikvision sysrem gathered up.....for cpl hundred more than maplins you get pro stuff go onto hikvision and look at the 2 series camera downloads to see just how many things you can set them to do.... like set a box around car so only that area triggers alarm rest is recorded or ignore the automatic doors as they open.... talk to your local electrical wholesaler better prices than internet .....you really do get what you pay for in this field....

Edited by millrace

Webber- could you find out what make it was pls? I thought Maplins used/sold Swan CCTV products, which in my experience are very cheap, in price/quality.

(ps if you have/buy a Swan system and it fails after a year or so, check the power supply!!)

The quality of the CCTV will depend on price and the distance you need to film. The further the distance from the camera, the better the camera you will need, especially if its IR/night vision. Most cheap diy systems will be fine for filming about max 5m away. ( to obtain decent stills from)

CCTV is only good if you, or the Police attending the incident, know the culprit. The Police are not going to put the culprits picture on Crimewatch for knicking your bike or breaking into your garage.

The make is Lorex. It cost us £225 but that was after trade discount.. * HD cameras. ! terrabite hard drive. View from remote mobile phone. Looks like the works to me.

webber

Having had some ****** try to steal my car last week and wrecking both drivers side doors, steering lock and cowlings, my son bought a cctv system with 2 cameras, DVR with 1tb hard drive. And I can access the footage on my phone too. Need to install it this week so have to borrow my dads ladders.

I was just about to sell the car after my hol too. Now it's pretty much worthless due to the damage :no: :no:

Edited by Lord Geordie

We have the Hikvision cameras at work and use the footage off them regularly for police evidence so I installed them at home - had them from Hikvision via their Amazon store and the 4mp ExIR cameras were £115 each and the 8 channel POE recorder was circa £160 plus a hard drive to put in it. The beauty of it is the simplicity of the set up as it is all just plug and play and the cameras are detected by the recorder automatically. The only downside is having to run a network cable between each camera and the recorder.

The only thing I'd say is if you are having three or more cameras is to go for the 8 channel recorder if you are using the 4mp cameras due to the bandwidth available being twice that of the 4 channel recorder.