That's cheered me up a bit

Benthejockey

In case you didn't know being a licensed jockey in any of its guises is quite a tricky business especially medically wise. I had the jockey club on the phone this afternoon and I asked about returning to racing once I was healed and whether I'd need the rod taking out of my leg. The good news is that if I'm comfortable and the surgeon is happy it can stay and I can return to action once I'm signed back on. I was getting myself a bit wound up that I was going to be out for 15 months until they could remove the rod and the damage of removing the rod had healed. I've still got a long way to go until I'll be comfortable to get back on a horse - probably a month or 5 weeks till I try out one of the kids ponies and another 5 before I'll be fit to start back riding out - it's a small glimmer of light when your sat with your leg in the air most of the day! I just have to convince the surgeon I'll be ok with it left in!

You know what they say, physio physio physio, my old fella would bring himself to tears after an opp, doc would say you can leave once you can do such a thing, that was it then mission on.

Look on the brighter side at least you can sit outside while the weather is good imagine if it was January

They didn't want to let me out of hospital when they did but I was losing the will to live in there. The criteria were I was to be off the morphine driver and able to use crutches to get about. I had a calf that was all colours of the rainbow and I was hurting but I wasn't getting better in the ward. I went for Physio the other day and they couldn't believe I was doing 20 mins on the cross trainer and walking in aided 4 1/2 weeks post surgery. Although I did a day at Chester races on Wednesday and I was really sore the next day. I'm hoping for a nice week next week so I can go and sit under a hedge and shoot some crows and for the silage to come off soon so I can get on the grass fields in the truck.

Of all the reckless dangerous and down right stupid stuff I've done Mel I was educating a young horse round a small novice team chase and the horse behind me galloped past me and smashed the other blokes foot and stirrup into my leg.

Medic I'm under Mr Pickard in shrews I was operated on in Leicester Royal infirmary. I'd not recommend a stay there it's horrible.

Of all the reckless dangerous and down right stupid stuff I've done Mel I was educating a young horse round a small novice team chase and the horse behind me galloped past me and smashed the other blokes foot and stirrup into my leg.

Medic I'm under Mr Pickard in shrews I was operated on in Leicester Royal infirmary. I'd not recommend a stay there it's horrible.

an old mate of mine was a jockey , he was a right state , he looked like the elephant man , one leg was about three inches shorter than his other leg , and the long one was bent . apart from his broken nose , his most prominent feature was the leftover lump from his previously broken shoulder , you could have hung your coat on it lol . he reckoned that being a jockey was the best job in the world and hed loved every minute of it lol.

edited to add.

he was about 5 feet tall and the build of your average schoolboy , but he could neck two gallons of guinness with ease and would go toe to toe with any man :lol: .

Edited by mel b3

Feel for you Ben, as part of the management team at the Jockey Club I also provide medic cover on the Heath. Some of the injuries we deal with are life changing, and it's even worse when it's a 16 year old kid out of the racing school. Glad you're healing ok, don't rush getting back onto one of those stupid creatures!