NHS Cyber Attack

saddler

3 years ago my grandson went to Cambridge Uni to study computer science, he is due to graduate in a few weeks. The firms that are out there trying to headhunt these guys is unbelievable, they recruit them as ethnic hackers, and the wages are something else. I am pleased he is smarter than grandad. :lol:

I think you mean ethical hackers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the NHS and other world health sevices services using HP laptops ?...

Strangely this has just been revealed at the same time as reported attacks https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/hp-issues-urgent-security-laptops-090012459.html

Very low key reporting , nothing on tv media..

Is this the back door access or coinidence ?

What about that lad with Aspergers who hacked into the Pentagon as well as CIA, FBI, NASA, etc systems looking for files on UFOs. If a lad on a second hand computer in his mum's spare bedroom can do it that easily what hope is there for the NHS?

Edited by Vince Green

Some of the systems where I work are on DOS.

New software is expensive and disruptive, when the frontline work cant be delivered adequately on the available funding why spend on IT?

I have worked in health settings with very secure and functional IT arrangements but things werent being done at the very cheapest possible price.

Edited by Wb123

oh yeh they all have this aspergers nonsense when they get caught, this hacking is like the thread I posted about chester zoo sending £1.2 million to scammers, it all goes back to total trust in computers and the online world.

Trump said recently, he never trusts email, he always had it down on real paper and things were sent by courier.

These numerous scandals could send things back to the way it was if it continues.

IT security starts with basic hygiene i.e. not clicking on unrecognised e-mails or downloading/installing unauthorised software. Many financial institutions have a zero tolerance policy towards this. Break the rules and you are out. My, second-hand, knowledge of the culture in the NHS is that they have a lax attitude. Peoples' working behaviour start to change when they start seeing their mates marched out for misdemeanours of this nature.

A bit if context is important, i fear you are assuming there is any serious interest in addressing the issue. In finance the whole buisness model requires information security, in monopolised healthcare for the most part people dont take buisness elsewhere (though there are examples where encouraging just that can be highly beneficial).

We are frequently told not to do x,y,z for risk of patient records being leaked. X,y, and z are unavoidable parts of the job, the fines to the trust should information leak are not enough to make changing the system a financially viable option, and not doing x,y,z would mean no job.

surely it would be possible to split the internet side of a computer from the document side. Two different hard discs that if you need to extract information from the document to internet it would be done with CD discs. Any Virus would show on the internet side first and measures to control it there can be taken there. Or maybe this is just pie in the sky!

surely it would be possible to split the internet side of a computer from the document side. Two different hard discs that if you need to extract information from the document to internet it would be done with CD discs. Any Virus would show on the internet side first and measures to control it there can be taken there. Or maybe this is just pie in the sky!

anser2, There are millionares out there that thought the idea they had was pie in the sky. :good:

IT security starts with basic hygiene i.e. not clicking on unrecognised e-mails or downloading/installing unauthorised software. Many financial institutions have a zero tolerance policy towards this. Break the rules and you are out. My, second-hand, knowledge of the culture in the NHS is that they have a lax attitude. Peoples' working behaviour start to change when they start seeing their mates marched out for misdemeanours of this nature.

A user on a domain can't install software on their PC or they shouldn't be allowed too, this is why this isn't a OS problem. It is a sloppy network administration problem.