NHS Cyber Attack

saddler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The violent theft in the news today, of 18 shotguns , must just be a space filler then?

The concern around poor web/computer security ARE valid....but they're one part of the bigger picture.

Any major banks or financial institutions attacked today? Or did THEY have suitable defenses in place?

If the NHS had learned from the previous attack this would not have happened today.

What happened to doctors being a doctor & actually diagnosing based on the symptoms in front of them?

Or MRSA being a disease of the past?

Was the violent theft of 18 shotguns because of an elaborate worldwide cyber attack? Or one of the hundreds of more mundane methods of finding if someone has a gun?

I doubt Sergei or whoever is rubbing his hands together knowing Fred Bloggs of Dorset has a shotgun. I'd be more worried one of my family was prescribed the wrong medicine.

Security yes, paranoia, no.

An acquaintance of mine works in IT security across the Finance, Education and Health industries. He said that In Education and Health the understanding of IT risks is poor and adherence to best practice to thwart attacks is shocking. Even the basics of having any anti-virus software installed on PC's isn't always followed and people are often allowed to install their own software.

XP?

Should I worry? Our Aircraft Flight management is based on Windows 2000 using 486 or Pentium 2 processors :-)

( before anyone comments, we have no direct internet upload/download links, but the laptops the Engineers plug in do......)

Now, how much is a Bitcoin and can I get em from the Post Office Travel counter.........

Edited by Jaymo

Someone please let me know what I'm missing here when experts on telly keep telling us that people as well as corporations have been known to pay in order to get their files released/unfrozen !

Now assuming that they didn't arrange to meet some bloke in a back street and hand over money in a brown envelope :rolleyes: how hard is it tracing the footprint of such digital transactions back to source ?

I smell an inside ratticus horribilous infecticious falseflagittius.

"they" need to get on the dark web and see who is bragging about it.......prob' some 15 year old lad in his bedroom in Slough or somewhere...

people could die as a result of this.....murder by proxy ?

Id not be surprised if it was a younger person. Company I work for kept getting DDOS (dedicated denial of service) attacks, basically hammering our network with access attempts which cripples it. Turned out to be a teenager. Got caught but it took our network down quite a few times over a period of time.

Someone please let me know what I'm missing here when experts on telly keep telling us that people as well as corporations have been known to pay in order to get their files released/unfrozen !

Now assuming that they didn't arrange to meet some bloke in a back street and hand over money in a brown envelope :rolleyes: how hard is it tracing the footprint of such digital transactions back to source ?

I smell an inside ratticus horribilous infecticious falseflagittius.

If using the dark web the attack would be using TOR (the onion router) feel free to read about it, just dont use it...

If using the dark web the attack would be using TOR (the onion router) feel free to read about it, just dont use it...

I have heard the term and have an idea what it's supposed to be and facilitate but I put its ability to resist governmental scrutiny in the same category of being expected to believe the CIA/FBI couldn't unlock iPhones :rolleyes: and so went to court trying to force the company to co-operate. :lol: All smokes and mirrors.

This wasn't an 'attack' it was just the heart bleed virus gaining access to their network. I have had to deal with infections of it twice at work, both times I isolated it and fixed the problem all be it with a users area encrypted!

There was a school in my area where the head brought it in on his laptop and encrypted all of the shared areas on the network. Pretty straight forward to fix just a lot of work. You have to level the network repartitioning any affected volumes and then restore the data from backups. The fact this virus ended up infecting numerous sites tells me they have very shoddy network admins who didn't spot it early enough.

Several times my page has been locked by a virus and nothing I can do seems to make it go away unless I agree to pay them, that is apart from holding the power button on my laptop down for 3 seconds so it kills the power then reboots when I turn it back on. The trouble with all these viruses is no matter what security they have there is always an underpaid moron somewhere in the system that couldn't give a monkeys and will click on a link in an email because it says something that a moron would be interested in

From what I understand about Ransomware anyone can get it no matter what security you have installed on your PC, one of the most common method used to infect your PC is by an innocent looking email that contains the click link to the virus, one I received recently went like this...

'thank you for your order, the sum of £37 will be collected from your bank account on the 12/03/2017, please click on the UPS link to confirm your preferred delivery date or the "sales team" link if you have any problems'

Needless to say I deleted this email but there must be hundreds if not thousands of people who are gullible to this type of attack.

I clone my hard drive every month using Acronis, if I get infected with a virus I just use the cloned drive to overwrite the infected drive.

This link gives some info on Ransomware...https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/what-is-ransomware-protection/#ransomwaredefinition

Edited by old'un

An article in The Daily Telegraph 11 th May P3 by Laura Donnelly carries the headline "Outdated IT System puts NHS at risk of hacking attacks". Amongst other things the article states that staff at Barts Health NHS trusts were warned that its four hospitals were experiencing a "ransomware virus attack" (the trust uses Winows XP) And, writing in the BMJ Dr Krishna Chinthapali said estimates suggested that 9 out of 10 NHS trusts still used outdated technology and the NHS needed to do more to protect its computer systems".

I fully appreciate that the current problem is far wider than the NHS and the U.K. But it is an unfortunate coincidence that this article identifies that the NHS has been aware of the risks but seemingly has not been addressing the issue.

Edited by Bobba

hello, this post was headed N H S cyber attack which looks to have brought chaos to our hospitals right across our country and a reported 70 ? other countries around the world including china and russia affected. lets not diminish the fact it will have on those caught up in appointments/surgery/and staff and those involved in setting up the computer systems, yet i thought it was a basic rule to me these systems are as safe as possable to stop hacking into, i am no computer expert by a long way but it seems you can buy a programme to do just that or steal from another agency in the USA. AS AN OLDY IS THE WORLDS COUNTRIES SECURITY GOING DOWN THE PAN ??????

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Sorry. What is the last post all about? Could someone sort of precis that lot down to a couple of lines. How long did it take to type all of that lot down?

Fortune i was simply giving examples to saddler question in which why doctors cannot just make a diagnosis by what they see in front of them? which is the patient. I was demonstrating that the need to have access to electronic medical records is vital for safe and effective patient assessment treatment.

Sky were quoting an average annual spend of £22000 per NHS Trust on Computer Security.

I would strongly suspect the small firm I work for spends more than that!

Lets face it, if a greasy teenager sitting in their bedroom can write software to crack some of the most secure systems in the world, getting past our security would be like child's play for them.

IT security starts with basic hygiene i.e. not clicking on unrecognised e-mails or downloading/installing unauthorised software. Many financial institutions have a zero tolerance policy towards this. Break the rules and you are out. My, second-hand, knowledge of the culture in the NHS is that they have a lax attitude. Peoples' working behaviour start to change when they start seeing their mates marched out for misdemeanours of this nature.

3 years ago my grandson went to Cambridge Uni to study computer science, he is due to graduate in a few weeks. The firms that are out there trying to headhunt these guys is unbelievable, they recruit them as ethnic hackers, and the wages are something else. I am pleased he is smarter than grandad. :lol: