Eley .22lr subs are ****

Some of you may have read my post about consistent.22lr round.

I had high expectations of a couple of brands RWS being one and Eley being the other.

The RWS performed well in my gun but the Eley was another story.

They grouped badly and out of all the brands I tested Eley was the only one to malfunction.

I've been out tonight to plot the trajectory to my particular rifle with winnie's and afterwards I decided to use up the remaining 35 Eley subs just plinking.

So out of the single box of 50 I had 2 failure to fire and 6......... SIX very low powered rounds that hit the ground before the target.

A fault with the gun you might think?

No so it performs perfectly with any other brand.

Normal for .22LR you might think?

Since buying the gun a few weeks back I've shot over 500 rounds through it and had 0 malfunctions with any other brand.

The worst of it is how badly the (UN)burnt powder smells with the Eleys.

Never again!

Edited by Daveo26

Dave,

Group wise you will find that's the norm with just about every rifle you pick up.

As for the miss fire then that may actually be your rifle, you don't say if it's a semi or a bolt action, I could hazard a guess and say it's a 10/22 if so again that's not unusual. If it's a bolt action then it's unusual, and I think you need to look at firing pin and spring.

I have a box that seem ok.

Struggling to get some cci subs to group at all though.

The CCI suppressor are fantastic in mine but the segmented ones are poor!

Dave,

Group wise you will find that's the norm with just about every rifle you pick up.

As for the miss fire then that may actually be your rifle, you don't say if it's a semi or a bolt action, I could hazard a guess and say it's a 10/22 if so again that's not unusual. If it's a bolt action then it's unusual, and I think you need to look at firing pin and spring.

Dougy it's a Browning T bolt.

The group sizes aren't really the issue, I appreciate some guns don't like certain ammo.

It's the number of failures I got from one box and the stink!

I don't know off hand I will check tomorrow I think I still have the empty box.

Why?

I normally only buy in slabs (500 a time), only trouble I ever had with eley was when gun shop put together a mixed slab from different batches and one box had predated others by 2 years and had 3 misfires.

A bloke at work has had quite a lot of misfires with Eley. He took a box back. He has bought two of his guns in to work and I have cleaned the areas​ around the bolt face and the chamber entrance where the ejector claws sit. It will be interesting to see if this reduces the headspace and helps to cure this problem.

Never had any issue with Eley Subs.

They're my preferred .22 ammo, have been for decades.

Think I had one dodgy box in all the time I've used them.

Hate the CCI subs.

Utter junk.

Winchester aren't bad though, they're my 2nd choice if the Eley are out of stock

Rimfires can be very ammo fussy. Luckily its cheap so trying a few out isn't going to result in bankruptcy

I did pest control on two USAF bases for 13yrs and I head shot on average 150 rabbits a night with Eley standards. Subsonic ammo made to much noise when hitting the rabbit. Eley standards now called sports grouped better with better range and are still quite, I was using on average 150000 rounds a year with no problem

What was the batch No of the eley?

In the competition world, eley followed by lapua then rws seem to be the cartridge choices.

3516-30537 is the only number I can find on the box,

Would that be the D.O.M and batch number?

Edited by Daveo26

Winchester group superb in my Krico 22 lr! have no idea how as they look like something John Wayne has knocked up, every bullet is a different shape!

I know what you mean. I've noticed that. The hollow points are different sizes!

Tried the 42grain Winchester they were awful in my gun but it like the 40s.

The most accurate were magtech subs from Brazil,

The box they come in is cheap and nasty, it offers the rounds 0 protection from damage but they shot fantastically.

I spent years slating Eley subs as they were just hopeless in my BRNO where Winchesters were just perfect.

Now I have a different rifle and much to my surprise Eley subs are about the best of any I have tried. Winchester being one of the worst.

Find the round your gun prefers is very good advice.

The 22lr round is very reliable and consistent. I wonder how much of the variation that users are experiencing is down to problems with barrel conditions​. Some ​people clean their barrel after every session, others never clean the internals at all. When I first got my Anschutz target rifle back in 1980 I religiously cleaned the internals. A bloke who used to shoot there just used to rock up after work and a game of squash and proceed to shoot 99's and tons just like that. I asked him about his cleaning and he said that he had never rodded the barrel at all ever. I have noticed that the barrel shoots better without any cleaning because it takes 50 rounds for the barrel to settle back down to zero. every time I set the gun up to have a shooting session, I have to shoot about 3 rounds down the barrel to warm it up and get it on zero. Once on, I can shoot card after card (10 rounds +sighters) very accurately. Internal leading can cause all sorts of problems such as odd rounds being out of group or being ok and then shooting all over the​ place.

I have been unable to buy Eley subs for years in my area. When I bought my new Magtech 7002 .22 semi auto over 10 years ago it came with 500 Magtech rounds, which were cheap, but very accurate. After a couple of thousand more, I got a bad batch and switched to Eley, which were quiet and accurate. When the supply dried up, went to RWS. Accurate, but did not seem to knock over the rabbits so hard, plus a few recycling problems. Now using the 42 grain Winchester subs. As accurate, harder hitting than RWS, no recycling problems, but slightly noisier, although the rabbits don't seem to mind. I did a comparison blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/winchester-22-42-gn-subsonic-versus-rws-40-gn-subsonic-field-test/

I did pest control on two USAF bases for 13yrs and I head shot on average 150 rabbits a night with Eley standards. Subsonic ammo made to much noise when hitting the rabbit. Eley standards now called sports grouped better with better range and are still quite, I was using on average 150000 rounds a year with no problem

709800 rabbits over 13 years ,thats a lot of bunnies