Someone explain our silly voting system please

Dave-G

Could someone explain to me in plain English why the highest number of votes and most seats doesn't necessarily enable a party to form a government on its own?

This is the second time in very recent years the UK has been screwed over by the need to have a coalition of two parties with differing values - one of which attracted a minor poll result.

To put it in simple terms,

Let's say there are 20 seats that make up parliament,

Party A wins 9

Party B wins 6 (The opposition)

Party C wins 3

Party D wins 2

If the winning party (A) wants to pass something they need at least 11 votes, they only have 9 so if they can form an alliance with either C or D they win.

If they go it alone they risk losing votes by 9 votes to 11

That sums it up, you need a majority otherwise you run the risk of losing every vote

:shaun:

To put it in simple terms,

Let's say there are 20 seats that make up parliament,

Party A wins 9

Party B wins 6 (The opposition)

Party C wins 3

Party D wins 2

If the winning party (A) wants to pass something they need at least 11 votes, they only have 9 so if they can form an alliance with either C or D they win.

If they go it alone they risk losing votes by 9 votes to 11

That sums it up, you need a majority otherwise you run the risk of losing every vote

:shaun:

Thank you Shaun, that is a clear explanation. I now get that the others can gang up on the party with 9 votes to thwart them.

It seems wrong to me - but I'm Cornish.

My thinking is that party A got the most votes so they won - sort of like the one who ended up with the highest amount of 20 Quid has a bigger pile than any of the rest so has more financial clout and the others would have to share their funds and claim to ownership just to stop A from buying something worth £9. If it were say a shirt at £9 the guy with £9 gets to buy it. :)

Edited by Dave-G

The rules are complicated according to the reason they lost their seat. If its a mid term election, as this one was, I believe they keep their pay until the term would have ended. It depends on their age as well, they do get a pension if it is past their retirement age. Otherwise they get a deferred pension

They get a resettlement allowance on top, to cover moving expenses etc. That's about £30K

Could someone explain to me in plain English why the highest number of votes and most seats doesn't necessarily enable a party to form a government on its own?

This is the second time in very recent years the UK has been screwed over by the need to have a coalition of two parties with differing values - one of which attracted a minor poll result.

They can form a government on their own they will just lack the ultimate power to force whatever laws, rules and acts they want on us without holding the majority of seats in the commons so they cosy up to some minor party to form a co-dependent relationship, this means the smaller party they have cosied up to can in effect make demands upon them in return for their support and hold them to ransom

I don't do politics but it all sounds naff to me.

Surely if a party wins even by a small margin then whatever they say goes. If the other parties have a say in stuff then what's the point. We may as well have a sort of forum made up of many parties and fleche it out. Although by the sound of it that is pretty much what happens so again, what's the point.

Some form of proportional representation is probably the fairest way of doing it look back when UKIP got over 4 million votes but no MPs then you have to think that some on the MPs in Scotland and other places get voted in with only small numbers of people voting for them.

it can go from 56k up to 72k voting in there area but then that has to be divided between all of the potential MPs that could be up to six or more so the winner could end up with only 10k voting for him / her that makes UKIPS 4m votes and no one MP look stupid but that is how it works in the UK.

Cheers Vince, I'm sure I read something along those lines but thought I'd imagined it, your out but still going to get a big lump of cash o and it's not your fault so we'll just keep paying you for the next three years, sounds more like the deal football managers get.

I don't do politics but it all sounds naff to me.

Surely if a party wins even by a small margin then whatever they say goes. If the other parties have a say in stuff then what's the point. We may as well have a sort of forum made up of many parties and fleche it out. Although by the sound of it that is pretty much what happens so again, what's the point.

What you're suggesting is essentially a benign/democratic dictatorship. If the party in power decided to abolish elections under your system that would be viable.

Other parties have involvement because not all Government proposals/Bills will receive 100% support from the party that forwards them to the house and that leaves room for policies to be voted down.

Our political system and democracy is far from perfect but as yet no one has been able to come up with anything better.

PR may be a fairer system but we chose not to go for it in the referendum held about it. I think probably because whilst it's more representative it also leads to more hung parliaments and makes passing legislation more difficult.

What you're suggesting is essentially a benign/democratic dictatorship. If the party in power decided to abolish elections under your system that would be viable.

Other parties have involvement because not all Government proposals/Bills will receive 100% support from the party that forwards them to the house and that leaves room for policies to be voted down.

Our political system and democracy is far from perfect but as yet no one has been able to come up with anything better.

PR may be a fairer system but we chose not to go for it in the referendum held about it. I think probably because whilst it's more representative it also leads to more hung parliaments and makes passing legislation more difficult.

Agreed. Although we have had two 'minority' governments in recent times the first past the post system does lend itself to giving more majority governments than PR does.

Proportional representation sounds simple but actually its proved to be a recipe for deadlock as you say

There are countries..e.g. Italy which have this multi minority party problem and guess what, they are constantly calling elections and squabbling between each other.

n Edited by Vince Green

The real problem with the first past the post system is there is not much point in a people voting if you do not agree with the standing MP in your area for me it is the conservatives that get in with big majorities 20.000.

in other areas it will be labour or the libs that are top dog so that means that for me and many other people there is not much point in bothering to vote except as a protest vote for what good that does I do not no but at least as with the UKIP people they can say X amount of people voted for this or that party.

Edited by four-wheel-drive