It had to Happen - now questions about the money

Vince Green

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you for real? Read the annual report and accounts, don't make me laugh! The reports are produced by people the organisation employ to write the annual report and accounts! They will likely say what they are told to say! And they won't say what they ain't!

How many companies annual reports and accounts have you ever read? I have read thousands and the Cancers UK one is, imo, more open and transparent than many companies. They are audited by PWC although I am sure you will say that they only write what they are told to write! If I was you I would complain to the Charity Commission as clearly you have evidence of them being a bunch of crooks!

The issue of how much a charity actual spends on charitable activities is an interesting one though and does raise some questions. Take Help For Heroes for example, a charity supported by many on here. They 'only' spend 74% on charitable activities. Less than Cancer UK! And the Royal British Legion appear to be more secretive. I can't find any evidence of how they spend their money.

On a different note. There is a story going round that the man in whose flat the fire started had packed his bags anc closed the door before notifying a neighbour. Is this true?

Has anyone heard of this. DId he call the FB?

How many companies annual reports and accounts have you ever read? I have read thousands and the Cancers UK one is, imo, more open and transparent than many companies. They are audited by PWC although I am sure you will say that they only write what they are told to write! If I was you I would complain to the Charity Commission as clearly you have evidence of them being a bunch of crooks!

The issue of how much a charity actual spends on charitable activities is an interesting one though and does raise some questions. Take Help For Heroes for example, a charity supported by many on here. They 'only' spend 74% on charitable activities. Less than Cancer UK! And the Royal British Legion appear to be more secretive. I can't find any evidence of how they spend their money.

I accused no one of being crooks, I merely pointed out that I believe it is reasonable to assume that the job of those who are employed to produce company annual reports and accounts do so off the figures and statistics they are given by the employer, and it is their job to show the organisation/business that pays them in the most favourable light...they ain't paid to make em look bad, wasteful or lacking in financial probity.

Do you believe everything you read? I certainly don't! Because so called, creative accounting can make figures and statistics say one thing or the complete opposite!....you say of Cancer uk is (sic) "imo more open and transparent than many companies" that may well be so......but how do you reach this conclusion? You do not know! you choose to believe it!.......I choose not to believe it without proof it's correct!

And as someone else pointed out Cancer UK fund research by employees of and in universities and hospitals...so its reasonable to assume it's unlikely any of the 189 Cancer UK employees paid over £60K p/a are involved in scientific research!

I accused no one of being crooks, I merely pointed out that I believe it is reasonable to assume that the job of those who are employed to produce company annual reports and accounts do so off the figures and statistics they are given by the employer, and it is their job to show the organisation/business that pays them in the most favourable light...they ain't paid to make em look bad, wasteful or lacking in financial probity.

Do you believe everything you read? I certainly don't! Because so called, creative accounting can make figures and statistics say one thing or the complete opposite!....you say of Cancer uk is (sic) "imo more open and transparent than many companies" that may well be so......but how do you reach this conclusion? You do not know! you choose to believe it!.......I choose not to believe it without proof it's correct!

And as someone else pointed out Cancer UK fund research by employees of and in universities and hospitals...so its reasonable to assume it's unlikely any of the 189 Cancer UK employees paid over £60K p/a are involved in scientific research!

The annual report contains a comprehensive set of financial accounts which are audited by PWC. Perhaps I am less cynical than you but I have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of them. If I were to doubt them then I might as well doubt every set of financial accounts every produced.

The annual report also details the breakdown of 3,909 staff is as follows:

989 staff employed in charitable services

2,465 in Fundraising & support

455 in support services (HR, IT & Corporate Resources)

In also states "In addition to the scientists employed, over 3,500 scientists, technicians and other staff engaged in cancer research throughout the United Kingdom were supported by grants made by the Group".

I appreciate that doesn't detail how many of each category earn over £60K but I suspect that a scientist will earn more than somebody manning a store.

It does specific the salary and benefits to the CEO were worth £244K and the CFO £195K. Also that no Trustees received received a salary other than one who received less than £4K. All very transparent.

All of this came about came about excuse somebody posted that cancer charities spend 92% on admin. My response was that Cancer UK don't. I'll end it there.

On a different note. There is a story going round that the man in whose flat the fire started had packed his bags anc closed the door before notifying a neighbour. Is this true?

Has anyone heard of this. DId he call the FB?

As I understand it the man in the flat when the fire broke out wasn't the tenant and he fled for reasons of his own. He obviously had no intention of hanging around to answer questions. In my opinion, knowing the area quite well as I do, he probably had things he didn't want to discuss about his immigration status.

Its not clear if the police ever identified him or whether he has been spoken to.

Edited by Vince Green

As I understand it the man in the flat when the fire broke out wasn't the tenant and he fled for reasons of his own. He obviously had no intention of hanging around to answer questions. In my opinion, knowing the area quite well as I do, he probably had things he didn't want to discuss about his immigration status.

Its not clear if the police ever identified him or whether he has been spoken to.

This may be correct, I don't know, but I did read a report from the Fire Brigade where they had attended the original fridge fire and thought they had 'put it out' successfully with no spread internally (i.e. confined to one compartment as it was supposed to be) . It was only when they went outside that it was realised that the fire had crept up the outside. Because at that stage it had spread upwards between the outer cladding and the insulation I suppose it wasn't obvious from inside initially that this had happened.

It would be very difficult to tackle there because the cladding would prevent water being administered from the outside and there would be no access from the inside ....... and this seems to be one of the big troubles that may not (or possibly may) have been known by various parties before the tragedy. I have no doubt that the judge chairing the enquiry will be asking exactly these questions.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Ask Cancer UK themselves. They quote that 80% gets spent on research.

One thing that I do not understand is we have UK Cancer research there must be Cancer research Charities all over the world so there must be huge amounts of money world wide going into research probably a lot of it duplicating the same work you would have thought that by now it would have been cured just a thought.

One thing that I do not understand is we have UK Cancer research there must be Cancer research Charities all over the world so there must be huge amounts of money world wide going into research probably a lot of it duplicating the same work you would have thought that by now it would have been cured just a thought.

To be fair they have made incredible in roads into the treatment of some forms of the disease and breakthroughs are still occouring. Its not something that's ever going to be totally cured because its a mutation of the body's own cells.

Report on TV this morning, charities have now collected over £20 million.

hello, do you mean for the grenfell tower residents ? yet only a small number have received any money, not forgeting tons of clothing etc, there is still money in the kitty for those affected by the 7/7 bombings so what will happen to the £20 million, ????

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, do you mean for the grenfell tower residents ? yet only a small number have received any money, not forgeting tons of clothing etc, there is still money in the kitty for those affected by the 7/7 bombings so what will happen to the £20 million, ????

hello, as with previous fund raising in the UK for events like this most of the money will not go to those affected, so where does it all go,????

hello, as with previous fund raising in the UK for events like this most of the money will not go to those affected, so where does it all go, ????

The money donated for the Aberfan disaster in the 60s is still sitting in a bank somewhere run by a committee of trustees. Survivors and the families of those who died, can still make applications for help but they have to show that their hardship was caused as a result of the disaster. That's not easy to do so very little has ever been paid out

snowdrops last advert voiced over by Sean Connery............ The man who made his living wielding a walther PPK, hypocrite !

He was/is a very vocal supporter/backer of Scottish Independence.....but doesn't choose to live in Scotland! And hasn't done for many years!

It's not as simple as finding a cure for one thing, the term cancer is used to describe a huge variety of conditions all of which are treated differently.

A treatment for one type of cancer may have absolutely no impact on another type.

He was/is a very vocal supporter/backer of Scottish Independence.....but doesn't choose to live in Scotland! And hasn't done for many years!

On par with the other vocal "Scots" like Alan Cumming & the rest of the Hollywood rent-a-face crowd.

They get American citizenship for tax reasons then kiss the saltire when they need a top up to the bank account.

Ideal SNP representatives/spokespeople....very vocal against public gun ownership & either have hired armed bodyguards or personal protection permits.

Wonder why Connery hasn't been asked to support any campaigns against domestic violence?

Oh, yeah.....oops!

It's not as simple as finding a cure for one thing, the term cancer is used to describe a huge variety of conditions all of which are treated differently.

A treatment for one type of cancer may have absolutely no impact on another type.

I do realise that it is not that simple as there are so many different types etc its just that these charities always seem to make it appear that it is us British that are doing all of the work to find a cure when the fact is people all over the world are doing it as well as us.

As for the money going to the Grenfell survivors from what I have seen of it these people are not British people who have lived in this country for many years trying not to be racist about it most of them would seem to have not been in this country very long.

add to that a lot of illegal immigrants being sub lit or just allowed to stay in peoples flats it is not going to be easy for the powers that be to prove just who should get the money and who is just trying it on I do not no who is rite or wrong but things are never as simple as people would have us believe.

Thanks for the update, it's interesting. Should he shoulder any blame or culpability?

Surely had the FB been callled as it was discovered, the outcome could have been very different?

Not taking away anything from the victims

I do realise that it is not that simple as there are so many different types etc its just that these charities always seem to make it appear that it is us British that are doing all of the work to find a cure when the fact is people all over the world are doing it as well as us.

As for the money going to the Grenfell survivors from what I have seen of it these people are not British people who have lived in this country for many years trying not to be racist about it most of them would seem to have not been in this country very long.

add to that a lot of illegal immigrants being sub lit or just allowed to stay in peoples flats it is not going to be easy for the powers that be to prove just who should get the money and who is just trying it on I do not no who is rite or wrong but things are never as simple as people would have us believe.

A hot topic on radio 4 this morning. 10 tons out of 150 tons of supplies handed out and £800k out of the millions ( can't remember the actual amount) collected.

I imagine only those who had *legal occupancy of the flats and those that had *legal permission from the *legal occupant to be in the residence (or their relatives if they are deceased)...........*note the emphasis on legal!..........are the only ones with a bonefide claim for rehousing and/or compensation?...........some claims (those of the tenants) can be quickly dealt with, the others will take some time to properly establish!

The money donated for the Aberfan disaster in the 60s is still sitting in a bank somewhere run by a committee of trustees. Survivors and the families of those who died, can still make applications for help but they have to show that their hardship was caused as a result of the disaster. That's not easy to do so very little has ever been paid out

hello, seems this must happen with many funds given by the people of uk,

Thanks for the update, it's interesting. Should he shoulder any blame or culpability?

Surely had the FB been callled as it was discovered, the outcome could have been very different?

Not taking away anything from the victims

A hot topic on radio 4 this morning. 10 tons out of 150 tons of supplies handed out and £800k out of the millions ( can't remember the actual amount) collected.

hello, so where will the 140 tons and the 19million £,200.000 go ????