I see Dunblane has moved again..

Red-dot

Is Andy Murray complaining about this latest slip? If he isn't, why is anyone else bothered?

If any Scottish person gets angry because they were inadvertently called English, then they need medical help. It's juvenile. About time some people grew up.

Absolutely correct.

To make this even more ludicrious Murray was referred to as being English by an American who probably thinks that English and British are interchangeable terms. There are more pressing issues that should be our concern.

Britain is an island, so all of us who hail from her green and fertile shores are british by dint of geography, regardless of internal nationality and internal constitutional politics. I'm Scottish to the core but there's no escaping that Scotland is a part of the island of Britain, even for a separatist.

That said, some of my northern irish colleagues don't like being referred to as irish, but there again thats that there geography for you.

No point getting tied up in knots over it.

Murray should have retired, losing 13 out of the 15 last games straight, tells he wasn't right.

Third title. he won in 2013 and 2016.

Slightly bored of this Scottish/British business. British on his Passport, British on the trophies and British gold medals.

Meanwhile, Djokovic has also retired. This has been a shocking tournament for injuries. We usually get a few slips, trips and falls, but they've been dropping like flies this year!

Of course he did; my apologies. I should have put consecutive.

Britain is an island, so all of us who hail from her green and fertile shores are british by dint of geography, regardless of internal nationality and internal constitutional politics. I'm Scottish to the core but there's no escaping that Scotland is a part of the island of Britain, even for a separatist.

That said, some of my northern irish colleagues don't like being referred to as irish, but there again thats that there geography for you.

No point getting tied up in knots over it.

Murray should have retired, losing 13 out of the 15 last games straight, tells he wasn't right.

Many of the Republic of Ireland don't like to be known as British . Although all of Ireland is part of the British Isles . Dear god we are so silly with our tribalism . I am British and very proud of it . Oh yes , bred and born in Norfolk .

Harnser

Many of the Republic of Ireland don't like to be known as British . Although all of Ireland is part of the British Isles . Dear god we are so silly with our tribalism . I am British and very proud of it . Oh yes , bred and born in Norfolk .

Harnser

I think you have it spot on the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles that does not mean that we have the rite to rule over them it is just a fact that they are part of a group of Islands called the British Isles.

Andy Murray lives in Surrey, I think that answers any outstanding questions about his true preferences, first thing he did was head South

The one to watch is Joanna Konta, described as British, the Australians are already saying "on ya bike" she's an Aussie

Edited by Vince Green

Not sure he’s really Scottish, I would say more Irish as he always seams to make really hard work of every match he plays.

Roll on some real winners...

When Andy Murray does eventually retire and the UK becomes a tennis backwater once again then perhaps some of you will be forced to concede how good he is actually was. There is not another UK tennis player, English, Scot, Welsh or Irish, that comes close to matching his ability and achievement. Not that this concerns a few on this forum. The focus always comes back to divisive tribal utterings from the "banging of the drum" brigade and closet racisits. It has little to do with tennis. The very best of British to Konta against Williams .

I have never been a Murray fan - always comes across as surly - but only a fool would fail to recognise just how good he is. World number 1 and rightly so.

Commentators noted the other day, just how much he and his brother help younger tennis players. He went up in my estimation.

No one can doubt his ability or achievements, however as regards his nationality as I see it he is British first............he was born in, and therefore is a citizen of the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, he is Scottish second because he was born in an area of the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland called Scotland...the reason people (principally but not wholly, from England) criticise him is that he doesn't appear to want to be a citizen of his country (the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).........declared in his support in the recent referendum, for Scottish Independence.

He voted for, and encouraged others to vote to leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (his country!) and form an independent Scotland, this would have torn apart the Union of this country, which the English neither wanted, asked for nor had a voice in! .................because of this some see him as a traitor to this country!

In fact many see those that voted for an independent Scotland as traitors....and that is probably why Ms Sturgeon, Salmond and their ilk and the SNP are despised and seen as, treacherous, destructive and objects of hate by many other citizens of our sovereign country of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

I'm sure this will draw the rabid haters of the "Auld enemy" out of the coverts eh? Lol!

When Andy Murray does eventually retire and the UK becomes a tennis backwater once again then perhaps some of you will be forced to concede how good he is actually was. There is not another UK tennis player, English, Scot, Welsh or Irish, that comes close to matching his ability and achievement. Not that this concerns a few on this forum. The focus always comes back to divisive tribal utterings from the "banging of the drum" brigade and closet racisits. It has little to do with tennis. The very best of British to Konta against Williams .

I am not doubting his ability to play tennis or even win tournaments, both of these he has proved on many occasions. But as a viewer I don't like or find him entertaining to watch. As I said he seems to make such hard work of every game he plays, always struggling and moping about the court with his head down. Players like Djokovic and Monfils on the other hand are a refreshing contrast.

Edited by zipdog

No one can doubt his ability or achievements, however as regards his nationality as I see it he is British first............he was born in, and therefore is a citizen of the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, he is Scottish second because he was born in an area of the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland called Scotland...the reason people (principally but not wholly, from England) criticise him is that he doesn't appear to want to be a citizen of his country (the sovereign country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).........declared in his support in the recent referendum, for Scottish Independence.

He voted for, and encouraged others to vote to leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (his country!) and form an independent Scotland, this would have torn apart the Union of this country, which the English neither wanted, asked for nor had a voice in! .................because of this some see him as a traitor to this country!

In fact many see those that voted for an independent Scotland as traitors....and that is probably why Ms Sturgeon, Salmond and their ilk and the SNP are despised and seen as, treacherous, destructive and objects of hate by many other citizens of our sovereign country of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

I'm sure this will draw the rabid haters of the "Auld enemy" out of the coverts eh? Lol!

The UK, as a political entity, is a union of two kingdoms a principality and a region. Scotland isn't a region in the same way England isn't. So, in that regard if an Englishman declares himself to be English, I really don't have a problem with it as for me, and the UN, if he was born and bred there that would be an accurate description of nationality. It's the same for the scots and to a lesser degree (because both are really a part of England, won by the sword) Wales & NI.

You call Murray a traitor, for taking part in a legal and democratic referendum, yet he didn't plant a bomb under your car or shoot your squaddies. As I mention above, Scotland and England are equal partners in a political union, if one side or the other decides to leave then that is simply the way it is. There's nothing treacherous about that.

The UK, as a political entity, is a union of two kingdoms a principality and a region. Scotland isn't a region in the same way England isn't. So, in that regard if an Englishman declares himself to be English, I really don't have a problem with it as for me, and the UN, if he was born and bred there that would be an accurate description of nationality. It's the same for the scots and to a lesser degree (because both are really a part of England, won by the sword) Wales & NI.

You call Murray a traitor, for taking part in a legal and democratic referendum, yet he didn't plant a bomb under your car or shoot your squaddies. As I mention above, Scotland and England are equal partners in a political union, if one side or the other decides to leave then that is simply the way it is. There's nothing treacherous about that.

I didn't call anyone a traitor! I said " because of this, some see him as a traitor to this country"

"Your squaddies"? Don't you mean our "squaddies"?....... because the British Army includes amongst others Welsh, Scots English and Irish regiments.

The component parts/areas/regions/nations that make up the Sovereign country of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or however you wish to refer to them) is not just a political union..........is it?

I didn't call anyone a traitor! I said " because of this, some see him as a traitor to this country"

"Your squaddies"? Don't you mean our "squaddies"?....... because the British Army includes amongst others Welsh, Scots English and Irish regiments.

The component parts/areas/regions/nations that make up the Sovereign country of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or however you wish to refer to them) is not just a political union..........is it?

The Union that binds us is political, aka the treaty of union 1707, much as people like to claim; there never was an actual "union" of the crowns. Queen Elizabeth II, of England Wales and Northern Ireland, is actually Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland, although only the most ardent of scots separatists would insist on rebranding her thus up here. That said there was a campaign of vandalising post boxes up here in the 50's, as many people objected to the QER II legend north of the border.

Your: as in "your" actual collective, tense.