You should shoot with both eyes open !

Royboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shot a 90 at reg sporting the other week I will stick to one eye thank you but a lot of people shoot with two eyes so there you go .

I have found that if you shoot with both eyes open you do not actually use both eyes the brain will choose the best eye and will disregard what information it gets from the other eye or at least that seems to be how it works for me.

Watched this video bloke talks like a **** all these people telling u that u cant u shoot one eyed closed dont have master eye problem so its easy to say

You can shoot one eye closed, whatever works best for the individual and as you say eye dominance is one thing but some folk will have impairment to an eye which means they can only shoot with one eye open anyway.

I do agree with both eyes open being advantageous though...

The brain can be trained to switch eye dominance with plenty of training, tape over the left eye worked for me after plenty of practice, it let me use my peripheral whilst not being able to focus and I shot better and better until the tape could be removed and I could shoot with both eyes open with no aids.

I wouldn't say shooting with one eye or both eyes is wrong but with both eyes open I do believe you're only bettering you're depth, distance and speed perception.. We live every day with both eyes open and I can't think of anything day to day that you have any advantage of by closing one eye. We don't throw or catch anything with one eye closed, or at least I don't.

I can understand one eye where you're aiming down a scope for instance however with shotguns we put all of our focus on the target so any peripheral advantage has got to help the brain interpret that information not to mention better reaction times?

Call 'pull' with one eye open and remember where you first see the clay target and then do the same with both eyes open.. you'll definitely see the clay faster with both eyes open or at least I did 5 times out of 5 when i tried it.

All in my opinion of course. Always going to be people out there that can and will shoot better with one eye open though and those that will outshoot people with both eyes open.

Each to their own, but I felt an advantage and i'll take all the help i can get!!

Edited by evolution380

You can shoot one eye closed, whatever works best for the individual and as you say eye dominance is one thing but some folk will have impairment to an eye which means they can only shoot with one eye open anyway.

I do agree with both eyes open being advantageous though...

The brain can be trained to switch eye dominance with plenty of training, tape over the left eye worked for me after plenty of practice, it let me use my peripheral whilst not being able to focus and I shot better and better until the tape could be removed and I could shoot with both eyes open with no aids.

I wouldn't say shooting with one eye or both eyes is wrong but with both eyes open I do believe you're only bettering you're depth, distance and speed perception.. We live every day with both eyes open and I can't think of anything day to day that you have any advantage of by closing one eye. We don't throw or catch anything with one eye closed, or at least I don't.

I can understand one eye where you're aiming down a scope for instance however with shotguns we put all of our focus on the target so any peripheral advantage has got to help the brain interpret that information not to mention better reaction times?

Call 'pull' with one eye open and remember where you first see the clay target and then do the same with both eyes open.. you'll definitely see the clay faster with both eyes open or at least I did 5 times out of 5 when i tried it.

All in my opinion of course. Always going to be people out there that can and will shoot better with one eye open though and those that will outshoot people with both eyes open.

Each to their own, but I felt an advantage and i'll take all the help i can get!!

Evalution380,From your DTL post question:

So I'm relatively new to shooting however i've progressed a lot after having a fair number of lessons under my belt but i've only really done skeet and sporting styles of shooting.

I'm going to try and get a lesson in before the weekend to try out a B525 Sporter with intention to buy so long as it fits.

I've never done any trap shooting so was going to request if i could do some skeet to see how i fair with the gun in a discipline i have some familiarity with then do some trap to try and get a feel for it before i considered putting my name down.

Obviously if I can't hit anything I won't bother but there is a handicap by distance DTL event this weekend at my local clay grounds, seems a perfect opportunity to get to know a few people and start to get some experience. (I went to watch a DTL event last week and there was some very good shots).

I don't want to embarrass myself so am I being naive in having a go so soon? Should I spend a fair few hours practicing the discipline before entering such an event or is this exactly what this sort of opportunity is for?

I'm always up for throwing myself in the deep end but I don't want to make a mockery of myself either.

I'd really like to give it a go as it's a handicapped event so should in theory be surrounded by other relatively new shooters rather than enter an event at the local clay ground where there are mainly seasoned shooters signed up?

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by bakerboy

Evalution380,From your DTL post question:

So I'm relatively new to shooting however i've progressed a lot after having a fair number of lessons under my belt but i've only really done skeet and sporting styles of shooting.

I'm going to try and get a lesson in before the weekend to try out a B525 Sporter with intention to buy so long as it fits.

I've never done any trap shooting so was going to request if i could do some skeet to see how i fair with the gun in a discipline i have some familiarity with then do some trap to try and get a feel for it before i considered putting my name down.

Obviously if I can't hit anything I won't bother but there is a handicap by distance DTL event this weekend at my local clay grounds, seems a perfect opportunity to get to know a few people and start to get some experience. (I went to watch a DTL event last week and there was some very good shots).

I don't want to embarrass myself so am I being naive in having a go so soon? Should I spend a fair few hours practicing the discipline before entering such an event or is this exactly what this sort of opportunity is for?

I'm always up for throwing myself in the deep end but I don't want to make a mockery of myself either.

I'd really like to give it a go as it's a handicapped event so should in theory be surrounded by other relatively new shooters rather than enter an event at the local clay ground where there are mainly seasoned shooters signed up?

Any advice appreciated.

Bit random.....or am i missing something?

What's that got to do with anything Bakerboy?

I've had a fair few lessons and I'm merely regurgitating what i've been advised by my instructor and the process I've been through, obviously i'm going to advance at a quicker rate based on the fact i'm a relative noob rather than it being specific to both eyes open, however with both eyes open was a clear difference to me from one eye open.

I assume a lot of people have been in this game for decades and don't really require lessons etc. a couple of people i know that shoot fit in this bracket and recently whilst having a pint with one of them they asked how i was getting on. I mentioned the tape over the eye etc and it became a lengthy talking point about shooting with both eyes open, a completely alien idea to him.

Wasn't preaching in anyway or at least didn't mean to come across that way just sharing my limited experience. (I'm not a jumped up little so and so)

The actual point of both eyes open doesn't have anything to do with someones shooting ability anyway it's a human function and more of a science talking point imo.

Edited by evolution380

What's that got to do with anything Bakerboy?

I've had a fair few lessons and I'm merely regurgitating what i've been advised by my instructor and the process I've been through, obviously i'm going to advance at a quicker rate based on the fact i'm a relative noob rather than it being specific to both eyes open, however with both eyes open was a clear difference to me from one eye open.

I assume a lot of people have been in this game for decades and don't really require lessons etc. a couple of people i know that shoot fit in this bracket and recently whilst having a pint with one of them they asked how i was getting on. I mentioned the tape over the eye etc and it became a lengthy talking point about shooting with both eyes open, a completely alien idea to him.

Wasn't preaching in anyway or at least didn't mean to come across that way just sharing my limited experience. (I'm not a jumped up little so and so)

The actual point of both eyes open doesn't have anything to do with someones shooting ability anyway it's a human function and more of a science talking point imo.

It appeared to me rightly or wrongly that in one post you were stating you were a newbie, (we have been there), and in the next giving advice.

It is great that you have taken the time and expense to have lessons.

If I have offended you, it was not intentional and I would be happy to apologise.

Sometimes, something written one way can be read another, it has happened to me many a time.

Ok....still dont see the point though?

Are we saying that because he hasnt been shooting since the old king died, nor does he have 3000+ posts that his opinion isnt valid?

I didnt read his post as "preaching", on the contrary, i thought that it was a good logical post-whether you shoot with one eye closed or not.

Ok....still dont see the point though?

Are we saying that because he hasnt been shooting since the old king died, nor does he have 3000+ posts that his opinion isnt valid?

I didnt read his post as "preaching", on the contrary, i thought that it was a good logical post-whether you shoot with one eye closed or not.

Subject closed as far as I am concerned, apology offered.

Didn't mean to come across that way JDog, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and ask for advice and say that I'm a noob to all of this.

I'm a relatively new shooter definitely no expert and wasn't trying to act as though i was, but I do believe in this scenario it's not strictly down to ability or experience. Its a topic I spent discussing at length with my instructor and then researching further (i'm sad like that) so was just sharing my opinion and limited experience.

Wasn't meaning to bamboozle anybody or come across as a ***, I just genuinely enjoy getting stuck into such conversations.

It's why I was steering clear of advising it was better, I can't do that I have less experience and how would i know? Just relaying what i've been advised and trying to get over my personal reflection and opinion.

I'm going to read more and say less I think moving forward. Cause I do see peoples point when i read it back :lol:

Edited by evolution380

This thread has made re-evaluate how I shoot, still a relative novice. I have been reviewing my visual pick up, kill point, focus and importantly how I mount the gun.

I have funny eyes, mono vision, so i find shooting with one eye, my dominant right eye, can work well but i shoot better with a more instinctive approach. Holding the gun slightly below shoulder height, heep my focus hard on the clay and then lift the gun to my cheek.

Also looked at a few Youtube vids by people like Gil Ash to re-enforce my approach.

This thread has made re-evaluate how I shoot, still a relative novice. I have been reviewing my visual pick up, kill point, focus and importantly how I mount the gun.

I have funny eyes, mono vision, so i find shooting with one eye, my dominant right eye, can work well but i shoot better with a more instinctive approach. Holding the gun slightly below shoulder height, heep my focus hard on the clay and then lift the gun to my cheek.

Also looked at a few Youtube vids by people like Gil Ash to re-enforce my approach.

Where are you based? I have never worked with someone with mono vision.

It would be good for me if I could work with you, every day is a learning day, fingers crossed you are too far away from Hertfordshire and that you do not mind be asking you if I can work with you as part of my further education.

Terry

Where are you based? I have never worked with someone with mono vision.

It would be good for me if I could work with you, every day is a learning day, fingers crossed you are too far away from Hertfordshire and that you do not mind be asking you if I can work with you as part of my further education.

Terry

Intrigued how I can help you? Oh - West Kent just near the M25

Intrigued how I can help you? Oh - West Kent just near the M25

A little too far what a shame.

Understanding how peoples eyes work is an important part of the coaching process, to the best of my knowledge I have never come across someone with mono vision.

It would have been a good opportunity to see how this effects your shooting and learn what you have done to accommodate it.

Every day is a learning day and it would have been a little more ammunition to have in my Coaching box and mind set.

It is a tad far.

Out of interest 3D films are no good for me and similar for shooting, I'd probably see double or more likely just one view out of whichever eye I was looking!

This also means that I don't see lead, when people say give it a foot or a yard I have no idea what they mean. If I try and see lead I just see the barrel and then rifle shoot and miss.

If I just focus on the clay and trust my mount I usually hit them, but long crossers are my weak point. My mount is not yet perfect and I am guilty of not always putting the muzzle into the line of flight at the correct point but I am persevering.

Hope this gives you an insight into my "affliction".

It is a tad far.

Out of interest 3D films are no good for me and similar for shooting, I'd probably see double or more likely just one view out of whichever eye I was looking!

This also means that I don't see lead, when people say give it a foot or a yard I have no idea what they mean. If I try and see lead I just see the barrel and then rifle shoot and miss.

If I just focus on the clay and trust my mount I usually hit them, but long crossers are my weak point. My mount is not yet perfect and I am guilty of not always putting the muzzle into the line of flight at the correct point but I am persevering.

Thank you.

One day we may meet up.

Thank you

Terry

It is a tad far.

Your contribution to this thread is great we never consider that there's no real training protocol for mono vision yet you have worked hard on sorting your own problems out and striving to improve all the time you're a credit to the sport good luck to you.

I think that everyone agrees that shooting with both eyes open would *ideally* be the perfect combination, for the reasons that are explained all over (peripheral vision, depth, blah blah) -- however, the KEY thing for me is that it is not /really/ 'both eyes open' you shoot. The reason 'eye dominance' exists is very likely because the brain doesn't *need* the depth information all the time, and therefore doesn't have to process the same information for both eyes, all the time.

So yes, peripheral vision is great to have, and you can get that by not closing/dimming your eye until the clay is visible. You also get the depth/distance information that way.

Technically, I would also like to be able to shoot both eyes open, however, there are also drawbacks, as the eye dominance can change on a whim, even during a single day if you are tired, tense etc. Having that happen when you are shooting is very likely a guaranteed 'miss'. So my own personal view of this is that by dimming the eye that is not along the gun as I mount the gun *guarantees* that my sight picture is constant. I think the 'tape' method will also give you that, but I consider it less practical.

There are also the odd drawback to the 'dim the left eye' method mind you... I had a couple of cases where I had the sun to my front/right and I accidentally closed my right eye when shooting a left->right crosser as a reflex. Didnt work terribly well :-)

I had another lesson last night, and we have found the point that is right for me as both eyes open I was missing a few clays consistently in the same manor.

My instructor has reverted back to both eyes open, pick up the clay and close the eye just as pulling the trigger, this method is definitely working best for me now after i got used to it and from what he said i'll be sticking with that method from here on now.

Had a good go on a sporting layout and it worked for me on all types of clays, consistently smashing a range of clays.

So I guess, despite a previous post of mine.. both eyes open doesn't work for me. I do need to close the eye as I shoot.

Edited by evolution380