Rabbits

I have a number of locations which have a rabbit problem and I am methodically reducing the numbers but one particular area is proving difficult. The rabbits are there in numbers but a difficult spot to shoot safely. I have to date set up either with my pop up or just sat in the passenger seat of the Land Rover with the 22RF and during sitting I have heard a low snorting sound coming from the brambles close by, similar to a mouflon ewe or goat when alarmed, a sort off 'phuttt' now the only animals in close to me are large beef cattle which cough occasionally, but I came to wondering if rabbits make this noise when alarmed. Been out and about for over 70yrs now and this is a new sound to me in this country.

Any ideas ?

I point out that there are no deer locally only the occasional muntie.

Edited by Walker570

Badger snuffling about?

This is a definite short sound as you would tend to hear as an alarm sound. As I said, I have been in the close proximity of mouflon, wild Spanish goats, Aoudad(Barbary sheep) and the females of all these species and various species of deer as well, make a similar noise when they see something they do not like the look of. I'm used to badgers working close by and also used to hear hedgehogs snuffling but this is not the same sound I'm hearing. Just cannot place it and wondered if the rabbits in the brambles were smelling me close by and making the noise.

Years ago I lived miles from anywhere. The nearest house was 600 metres away and there were about 7 of us in that sort of radius.

One marvellously hot summer night I was struggling to sleep. The windows were open and I lit up a smoke and sat on the end of the bed looking across the moonlit fields.

I heard what I can only describe as 2 people walking on my gravel drive before what sounded excatly like 2 people having far top good a time outside my bedroom window.

I leant out but could see nothing. Still this very human like noise persisted. I half hung out the window and waved my arm about to catch the light sensor. It illuminted 2 hedgehogs going at it hammer and tong.

A few years later after foolishly joining the army we were on patrol one night in some God forsaken patch of southern England wondering why I had sighned up and all the better things I could be doing at 2am not covered in mud on a wet cold night; when I heard coughing. The patrol hit the ground and fell into defense as we were meant to be the only ones there. We waited ages and heard unmistakable coughs from maybe 30nyards away. Couldn't see anything through the rain with he carp nv we had.

Cutting a long story short it was sheep. They were 100% like people coughing.

Been back to same spot three times since and no strange noises but the wind has been in my favour. It will I suppose remain a mystery.

Brings back 70year old memories. We lived in an old farm house which was originally housed and run by close order nuns and supposed to have undetected tunnels leading all over. I was about 7 and had gone to bed at about 9pm followed closely by my parents and grandfather so I believed. I woke suddenly to the sound of light tapping noises coming from below my room which was the part of our kitchen which led to the cellars. I dived across the passageway into my parents room and a grumbling father crept downstairs .. he confirmed it was just after midnight ... to find my grandfather at the kitchen table finely chopping walnuts and hazel nuts so he could eat them ... he had very few teeth.

I have a number of locations which have a rabbit problem and I am methodically reducing the numbers but one particular area is proving difficult. The rabbits are there in numbers but a difficult spot to shoot safely. I have to date set up either with my pop up or just sat in the passenger seat of the Land Rover with the 22RF and during sitting I have heard a low snorting sound coming from the brambles close by, similar to a mouflon ewe or goat when alarmed, a sort off 'phuttt' now the only animals in close to me are large beef cattle which cough occasionally, but I came to wondering if rabbits make this noise when alarmed. Been out and about for over 70yrs now and this is a new sound to me in this country.

Any ideas ?

I point out that there are no deer locally only the occasional muntie.

Flir one therm would of picked it out :good:

Flir one therm would of picked it out :good:

I can think of better things to spend a couple of grand on. Used one and it removes all that anticipation which after some 70yrs of hunting is still top of my list for enjoyment.

KB1 ... did anyone ever tell you, you have a dirty mind ....... clever though :-)

Edited by Walker570

I can think of better things to spend a couple of grand on. Used one and it removes all that anticipation which after some 70yrs of hunting is still top of my list for enjoyment.

KB1 ... did anyone ever tell you, you have a dirty mind ....... clever though :-)

£170 connects to iphone :good: