which spider is this ?

hodge911

That is a Garden Spider, Aranaeus diadematus.

They tend to appear now, throughout the Autumn, building a beautiful Orb web in hedgerows and around buildings. Very tame, easily handled, they can nip but are pretty well harmless. A. quadratus is a closely related species which can reach a good size. Eat a massive number of insects, they are a major predator of craneflies, daddy longlegs.

Not to be confused with the False Widows, the "Daily Mail Spider", which lives in a messy tangle web and can deliver a mildly venomous bite.

Here's a female A. quadratus exploring my finger. Note her fangs are folded, she didn't bite. Which was nice......

imagejpg1_zps92628889.jpg

Edited by DrBob

She was a big girl!

Quite late in the season, so well fed on a glut of craneflies, and probably laden with eggs. They really don't nip unless held in the hand, they're quite sweet natured. There are a few British spiders which can bite, a couple can be potentially harmful, but you really have to try to get bitten. (Unless you read the Daily Mail, or- the mark of the terminally senile- the Express, in which case they'll get you in your bed.)

That is a Garden Spider, Aranaeus diadematus.

They tend to appear now, throughout the Autumn, building a beautiful Orb web in hedgerows and around buildings. Very tame, easily handled, they can nip but are pretty well harmless. A. quadratus is a closely related species which can reach a good size. Eat a massive number of insects, they are a major predator of craneflies, daddy longlegs.

Not to be confused with the False Widows, the "Daily Mail Spider", which lives in a messy tangle web and can deliver a mildly venomous bite.

Here's a female A. quadratus exploring my finger. Note her fangs are folded, she didn't bite. Which was nice......

imagejpg1_zps92628889.jpg

im guessing that it was one of these that i found on my truck , it was scary big and slightly lighter in colour though , and i wouldnt have dared to touch it .

i had lots of false widows in the wood pile this year , an awful lot of hibernating wasps too , i got bitten / stung more than ever when i was splitting the logs.