Which type and calibre of Air Arms pneumatic

manton

I am thinking about buying my first pneumatic after many years of using springers. I favour Air Arms but cannot decide between a 410 or a 510 . I also cannot decide between .177 or .22 Most of my shooting is informal target with some vermin control . I would very much value members opinions on these matters.

You will have conflicting camps but personally I prefer .177 for its flatter trajectory particularly for target but I have no problem getting clean kills on rabbit if shot placement is correct. I have a 400 classic walnut stock and it is a good as it gets for pcp in my opinion

I am thinking about buying my first pneumatic after many years of using springers. I favour Air Arms but cannot decide between a 410 or a 510 . I also cannot decide between .177 or .22 Most of my shooting is informal target with some vermin control . I would very much value members opinions on these matters.

i have and have had several of both

caliber wise go 177 - get a 22 later if you need. You can hunt with a 177 and if you zero at 35 yds everything from 17-40 yds is almost dead on

as for 510 v's 410 find out if you prefer bolt or side lever.. for hunting i prefer a side lever tbh but its your preference

I've got the AA s400 in .177 for field target shooting and the AA s510 extra .22 for vermin- mainly rats inside buildings.

Both are good at what they do.

The initial outlay for the rifle, scope and dive bottle is high, but they do retain their value.

hello, both of those AA rifles will do just what you intend for, try a few in the shop and get one you like best, they will last years if looked after and serviced, target and some hunting go 177

just to add, after having a S410 from new and shot 1000s of pellets, if i were thinking to buy another AA it would be the side lever same as my vermy,

Thanks for the comments folks which seem to support my own ideas .I seem to be moving toward a 510 in .177. I am aware that the .177 shots flatter but wonder about pellet drift in a strong breeze when compared to a .22 .I was quite interested in the comment about resale value since my dealer showed little interest in my 2 year old Weihrauch 77 which I hoped to part exchange. His calculation of value was determined by the formula cost price minus VAT divide by 2 i.e £330- £60.00 equals £270 divide by 2 equals £135 He told me that no one wanted to buy spring air rifles!

Oh the ballistic coeficient of a pellet generally determinds its wind drift .

And since there are many .177 pellets with a higher bc than a .22 then the high bc pellwts will drift less

Simple .

And ballistic coefficient is directly proportional to mass (pellet weight).

For example a jsb .177 heavy 10.3 grns can have a bc of 0.028

A rws .22 super dome 14.5 grns bc of 0.016

So the .177 s superior sectional density and aerodynamic shape gives it a much higher bc almost twice that of the heavier .22 .meaning it will hold its energy better for longer and buck the wind better .

So in all respects the .177 out performs the .22 ballisticaly .

Actually bc is proportional to the pellet mass but inversely proportional to the square of its diameter. So its a balance between weight and head size. So fair point, comparing between different pellet makes will give a range of possibilities.

Where are these bc figures published?

Don't the 510's have the cocking lever on the side rather than out of the back. Never used a 510 but it seems like a much smoother action than the 410 I tried. (says the air rifle noob who's read very little else for weeks)

hello Mr C, yes just like my vermy, one movement on the lever instead of 3 with bolt action, a simple yet effective system, so much is written on this 177 against the 22 the mind boggles with !!!!!!!!!, a well place shot with a sub 12 177 heavy pellet will kill a rabbit out to 45 plus yards, not so a 22 but as a ratting calibre is most ideal at shorter ranges,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I've never shot an AA S510 but if it performs as well/better than the AA S410 then you are on to a winner. I can't fault my AA S410, as for the calibre mine is .22 but I'm staying out of this one.

hello, it does not perform any better if you talking on pellet performance it is the difference between using a side lever to bolt action as i mention in my other reply,

Thanks for the comments folks which seem to support my own ideas .I seem to be moving toward a 510 in .177. I am aware that the .177 shots flatter but wonder about pellet drift in a strong breeze when compared to a .22 .I was quite interested in the comment about resale value since my dealer showed little interest in my 2 year old Weihrauch 77 which I hoped to part exchange. His calculation of value was determined by the formula cost price minus VAT divide by 2 i.e £330- £60.00 equals £270 divide by 2 equals £135 He told me that no one wanted to buy spring air rifles!

hello, thats easy sell your HW private and if you buy a 510 in 177 KEEP IT, as for the wind/breeze question if i worried about that i would never go out hunting. oh there are still plus100s of early AA 300s in use today and if looked after in the proper manner your 510 will be just the same.

Couple of points I would like to add - first is that both are superb guns and you will never regret buying either one - I use the S410 for Squirrel control and have never had any reason to doubt it,s ability. Second thing is that I would ask permission to print off all the chat about BC so that I might print it off and pin it to the trees where Nutty lives - he is clearly unaware of the facts. Over the last 100 Squizzers that I have shot several have been approached a considerable while after being shot clean thru the head and found to be conscious and reactive to movement (I have posted on this matter before) and this always happened while using the .177. This disturbing situation was so upsetting that I bought a .22 in the hope that the larger lump might impart a bit more Oooomph (that's about as technical as I get) and, so far, it has been a decision that has proven wise. BC BS? - not sure but I know which calibre knocks Nutty from the trees the Deadest :good:

Edited by bruno22rf

Don't the 510's have the cocking lever on the side rather than out of the back. Never used a 510 but it seems like a much smoother action than the 410 I tried. (says the air rifle noob who's read very little else for weeks)

Hello, just to say Mr C when i started to think of going to a PCP from a cheap springer i researched for at least 3 months before reading lots of info and i concluded the AA S410 would be purchased and as i mentioned before it was the right choice then , now i would go side lever 510

The way bc is calculated is by shooting a pellet over 2 calibrated chronographs at a set distance ie say 30 yds and measuring the velocity drop between them .this can then entered into a ballistic calculator (gc .strelock etc ) with all the relevant info like air pressure ,altitude, tempreture wind speed etc .

This will give you the bc for your gun shooting that exact individual pellet .

Do this 10 -20 times and take an average of all the different values (as there will be quiet a wide range ) and you have your ave value .

Although head diameter and weight do have an influence on the bc they are in no way a means of calculating (Or even guessing the average bc of that pellet in your gun .

Ps .bc can change from gun to gun .pellet batch to batch .

The velocity you fire the pellet at and the range you do the test over

There are many online printed average bc s for pellets but these are just a guide and can often differ wildly from actual results in your gun .

Most bc s on line are from America where velocities are usually around 900 fps .much faster than or UK limit .these bc values will often be lower due to the increased air resistance from a high velocity .

Spring guns often produce much higher bc s from pellets than pcps .for exactly the same pellet .

E.g.

My ultra shoots exact 4.53 8.4 grn pellets at 770 fps and a bc of 0.021

My lightening shoots the same pellet at 770 fps for a bc of 0.027

And yes I do have 2 chronos and have tested them .