Out with the dog again.

aga man

Fresh back from my holiday on Thursday i was keen to get out and see what had been harvested. I had a fair bit of work to catch up on Friday but was hoping to find something to shoot at the weekend.

I spoke to JDog via txt on Friday and he said he had been suffering from cold and had a snotty nose etc. I got the impression he was feeling a bit fed up so I told him he could come over to Hull on Sunday and shoot a few if I could find anything.

A field of wheat on one of my reliable farms had been harvested and often pigeons come on good lines out of the town to here.

Sure enough on Friday evening lines were strong and pigeons were piling into the stubble in a good wind.

I was tempted to shoot the field then I was nervous of the stubble being ploughed before Sunday.

After a bit of sweet talking the farmer agreed to leave the stubble for Sunday :)

With everything in order JDog and I met in our usual pub carpark and headed off to the stubble.

What a joy to be able to drive right to our shooting spot and find round bales there to make hides.

Pigeon traffic was no where near as busy as Friday but I was confident the pigeons would show and there was plenty for the to eat on the stubble.

As we had not seen each other for a while I thought it would nice to share a hide, so we built a large comfortable hide in what I thought was a good spot.

It wasn't long before the first birds arrived and we started of great 5 shots and 5 dead pigeons. things the slowed and after a slow two hours and only 17 pigeons we decided to up sticks and move so that we were directly under the main pigeon traffic. Instantly things improved and pigeons started to decoy with more confidence.

Sport was steady until 5.30pm when the birds from the town started to come for a last feed. We enjoyed some great sport from separate hides in our new spot and although my choice of location at the start cost us maybe 20 or so birds we finished at 6.30pm with 91 pigeons and two Carrion crows.

A great day regardless of the numbers, we both had some good rangey shots including a 65yd Carrion shot by JDog which was amonst the best.

A bit knackered now but had a great day. Just off to breast some pigeons now and JDog will post some pics.

Thanks for reading.

Aga man has pigeons. He always has pigeons. Sometimes they are too high to shoot at but it is good to see them nevertheless.

We started off in the penthouse apartment of hides which was spacious but in the wrong place. We then moved into some phragmites reeds which were under the flight line and therefore much better. We agreed we should have done it earlier. Two hours of extra worry for him, not that I cared one jot.

As he said we both shot some good birds and for once, and possibly only for once, was I happy with my shooting. Aga man is generous with sharing his shooting but he rarely applauds a very good shot. Today I had two rounds of applause. Praise indeed.

We were still in the field at 7:20 pm this evening. By 7:30 he was in front of his computer writing up about our escapade. I was still on the Humber bridge on my journey home but it was all well worth it.

DSC07737.jpg

DSC07733.jpg

Our generous hide.

DSC07730.jpg

Top report.

I made a similar mistake with my hide positioning yesterday. It is easily done. Like yourself, it didn't cost me too many birds.

I hope to write a few words about my day later.

By the way, JDog can shoot just fine.

Re-assuring to know its not just inexperienced people like me that makes a balls up now and then!

JDog's shooting has improved a lot since he was last out with you, perhaps he has been looking over your shoulder. :)