Right I Went and Bought one for curiosity

subsonicnat

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question to that is where is your point of impact when you view in on pattern plate.

Put your bead on a target,,if it shoots,,High,Low,or whatever look through the glass with Holo on this time,Adjust to CENTRE YOU JUST SHOT..Repeat it now with the dot,,Then adjust as neccessery

To centre the shot..The position on the glass will be dependent on how you view and set it up..

Mine is about 1/3rd from the bottom,Right above my shot gun bead..Now Centred..

Gave it 5 shots station 1,incomer from low house,,Dust Mate..

IC and Skeet in chokes..it is great fun...

If I understand this correctly. What your doing is instead of using the bead (which may not represent the centre of the pattern depending on how gun is set up) you are setting the dot at centre of pattern and using that as your bead/sight in effect. The question is why not fit a big red bead and set the gun up so the bead is centre pattern ??

I am not disputing anything you say regarding how good / effective the dot thing is just trying to fully understand the concept. 😉

Subsonicnat is making a lot of sense and is really seeing the benefit of the red dot .

Something ive been going on about for ages .

They work and make things simpler not more complicated .

I love the fact about making a gun that doesn't fit /shoot where you look .now shoot exactly where you aim .its a great point .

All this tells me is how many of you have really bad fitting shotguns , and have no real idea as to what your sight picture should look like

My thinking too. If it works for those who are choosing to use it then great and they get more pleasure from using the gun then great, but i'm delighted they cannot be used in competitions.

Not because I fear an unfair advantage from those who would use them, but it would just be something else for people to obsess about and spend a small fortune on. Like a Teague branded metal tube being better than a Briley, or vice versa, and how both must definitely be better than a manufacturer part, etc.

All this tells me is how many of you have really bad fitting shotguns , and have no real idea as to what your sight picture should look like

Some of us are not yet fortunate enough to own a fully fitted gun and have to use the one we have.

I know I can't afford to purchase a gun good enough to be worth paying to have it fitted to me. So I will take all the help I can get for now.

As for the sight picture, I know what should be there. Most of my shooting is with my nv setup which by chance has a dot set within a centerless cross hairs so the "put the dot where you want to shoot" is already normal to me.

If we all liked the same thing life would be interminably boring.

Some of us are not yet fortunate enough to own a fully fitted gun and have to use the one we have.

I know I can't afford to purchase a gun good enough to be worth paying to have it fitted to me. So I will take all the help I can get for now.

As for the sight picture, I know what should be there. Most of my shooting is with my nv setup which by chance has a dot set within a centerless cross hairs so the "put the dot where you want to shoot" is already normal to me.

If we all liked the same thing life would be interminably boring.

Getting a shotgun to have a good basic fit most of the time does not cost big money. In fact quite often it can be achieved free , just by choosing something within your budget that fits in the first place be it new or second hand. The problem is people tend to be drawn to something that looks good rather than the way it handles. ( the lower your budget. The way it handles is so much more important than looks )

I agree that yes were all different , but .......... and this is just my humble opinion you are not fixing the problem , your just putting a patch over it ,

I mean so what happens when your battery runs out , go home ?

Edited by stevo

Oh he also made an important point about mounting the gun and knowing the lead . (Same as a traditional bead sight and being able to take the shot .

I've occasionally not turned my red ring on and had a bird decoy in .and have shot and killed the bird beautifully imagining exactly where the ring should be .

Gun fit .?

hello, just found the RAMBO model are 19 $ and free post from Aliexpress, by the time you pay exchange rate works out about £20

This is where i got mine put an offer in got it a pound cheaper 15 delivered. ebay number

Edited by lancer425

Getting a shotgun to have a good basic fit most of the time does not cost big money. In fact quite often it can be achieved free , just by choosing something within your budget that fits in the first place be it new or second hand. The problem is people tend to be drawn to something that looks good rather than the way it handles. ( the lower your budget. The way it handles is so much more important than looks )

I agree that yes were all different , but .......... and this is just my humble opinion you are not fixing the problem , your just putting a patch over it ,

I mean so what happens when your battery runs out , go home ?

There is no battery Stevo,its just the light in the light gathering tube.

I cannot put a light gathering bead on my gun,,it would have to be about 3/8" high.

That would not last very long in a slip...lol.

As said,,,it is more like a trap gun,,,never tried it on ABT,Maybe I should...lol..

Yes a very interesting thread indeed 👍

I still have something niggling me though. Shotguns should be shot with instinct, without consciously aiming or using the bead as a sight (apparently) SO why does this work and why don't we just put a big red bead on and use the same technique as the red dot thing ????

Cos a big red bead will be on the end of the barrel and you can't see below it .a red dot /ring is about 15 -25 mm abobe the barrel meaning u can see all around it ..it doesn't suffer parrelax error like a bead does so when its on target its correct every time unlike a bead .the difference between them is MASSIVE .

Cos a big red bead will be on the end of the barrel and you can't see below it .a red dot /ring is about 15 -25 mm abobe the barrel meaning u can see all around it ..it doesn't suffer parrelax error like a bead does so when its on target its correct every time unlike a bead .the difference between them is MASSIVE .

Interesting.

I suspect the concept is difficult for old school luddites' like myself. But still fancy a go if I can get one to fit the auto dovetail

Interesting.

I suspect the concept is difficult for old school luddites' like myself. But still fancy a go if I can get one to fit the auto dovetail

You Will Be Fine IPS,

Just try to set it up reasonably well,within 10 shots it will have you smiling..

I Have shot all my life looking at Duck,Geese..

I am Now a Converted clay shooter,I have killed enough of the above..

It just gives me a more genteel way of shooting..

NOT THAT I EVER WILL BE..LOL.

You Will Be Fine IPS,

Just try to set it up reasonably well,within 10 shots it will have you smiling..

I Have shot all my life looking at Duck,Geese..

I am Now a Converted clay shooter,I have killed enough of the above..

It just gives me a more genteel way of shooting..

NOT THAT I EVER WILL BE..LOL.

I am the other way, have shot clays for over thirty years, air rifle ten years before that. Last two years I have converted to game with the odd pigeon or rook when available. Funny how life changes innit ,😁

Might have a punt. Possibly getting a new gun over which I have no control and other than, perhaps, a recoil pad (stock extension) I won't want to mess about with it. It will have some weight so will only be for clays on the rare occasion I shoot them and the rooks with 1&1/8 oz loads which I already have and which are a bit punchy for me now for my other guns.

A tad surprised some enterprising chap has not bought a quantity in at a discounted rate and is selling them on with a better delivery than the Ebay forecast.

I am the other way, have shot clays for over thirty years, air rifle ten years before that. Last two years I have converted to game with the odd pigeon or rook when available. Funny how life changes innit ,

Yes it is funny how things work out..

3/4 years ago I shot my last Duck,,I can still see thim wiffling in at last light.

I shot both with 1 shot from a 3:1/2" Hatsan, They hit the ice and skidded to a Halt.

The Dog retrieved them beautifuly,,Put them on the Bonnet of the truck..

A light came on in my head,,..

THEY LOOKED BETTER FLYING.

Instead of Crumpled on my Bonnet..

I Sold all my guns,and bought the last one I hope I shall ever buy..Do Not Hold Me To That..lol..

I Bought a Camera,and Still like the Sunsets.

No More Cold Creeks...

I would be a liar to say I do not miss it,,But my stomache turns over when I think of those two Duck.

So here we are trying to make the best of it,on Bituman Clays..

I Never Ever thought I would think that let alone do it..

My time has gone now,But boy,,Those films in my head can be replayed if I wish,But I Don't.

Like you said mate,,Funny old World,,But,,

I bet I am not the Only one on Here..

Yes it is funny how things work out..

3/4 years ago I shot my last Duck,,I can still see thim wiffling in at last light.

I shot both with 1 shot from a 3:1/2" Hatsan, They hit the ice and skidded to a Halt.

The Dog retrieved them beautifuly,,Put them on the Bonnet of the truck..

A light came on in my head,,..

THEY LOOKED BETTER FLYING.

Instead of Crumpled on my Bonnet..

I Sold all my guns,and bought the last one I hope I shall ever buy..Do Not Hold Me To That..lol..

I Bought a Camera,and Still like the Sunsets.

No More Cold Creeks...

I would be a liar to say I do not miss it,,But my stomache turns over when I think of those two Duck.

So here we are trying to make the best of it,on Bituman Clays..

I Never Ever thought I would think that let alone do it..

My time has gone now,But boy,,Those films in my head can be replayed if I wish,But I Don't.

Like you said mate,,Funny old World,,But,,

I bet I am not the Only one on Here..

I admit that for me working my cocker is the best bit. I also enjoy the pomp and ceremony of a game day and the solitude of being in a wood or hide. The actual killing bit is something I struggled with but as a meat eater I am able to justify it 👍

The parallax free nature of these sights is a plus, proper mounting of a good fitting gun for the shooter will of course work, just like if you look through a rifle scope see the reticule move in relation to the target when you change your eye position, now if you put your eye in the same place through the lens down to good stock fit, that is basically what a good fitting shotgun is like.

Now the red dot sight is like a parallax adjusted scope what you stick it on is where its going.

I dont feel most people need a red dot sight but i can only see it working for anybody who choses to use it, and at 15 .00 posted give it a go.